Birds 2013

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
mvanrheenen

Re: Birds 2013

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Hi Valery, welcome to the board!

Great nuthatch you caught! Which variety is it, do you know?

Mark
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Neat capture of a cute little bird ValeryD
Greg
Wildieswife
Oligarch

Unread post by Wildieswife »

Thanks for the kind comments, folks.

That's a beautiful image of a White Breasted Nuthatch, Valery! Lovely.

Pat
"Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" Bob Dylan
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Welcome Valery.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Thank for the comments! It's nice and warm welcome in this forum!

Can you find the owlet on the picture? :)

a57 Tamron 70-300 USD

super yummy pine cone
a57 Tamron 70-300 USD
Everything in the life unusual!
mvanrheenen

Never heard of an Owlet tree :lol:

Both nice capures. You caught that squirell at just the right moment when it's eyes shut. It's a pitty the background is a bit busy.

Mark
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Super shots Valery. That Owl picture is great - I like the way it is blending in to its surroundings. How did you spot it in the first place?

This forum has a long history with fine Squirrel shots and that is a lovely addition. I can almost excuse him for being a Grey with that look of deep concentration.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Oops... Sorry for the squirrel, for my mistake, the topic call - Birds 2013...
It's more from the same serial shots.

Cooper's Hawk
a57 70-300 USD

a57 70-300 USD

I'm not really wildlife photographer, but I can't miss that kind of a beauty. :)
mvanrheenen

Very cool shots Valery!

Ans the squirrel is related to some birds, as prey at least :-P
Omega892
Oligarch

Unread post by Omega892 »

sury wrote:Mark,
Thank you. Here is the photo of the food.
Some cracking shots here sury, from Pat and others too.

Could that heron {1} be eating a hagfish for is that the hagfish slime at the tip of its beak that looks like a waterfall. Hagfish I thought inhabited deeper waters but I do know that they produce this slime when attacked as a defensive measure to allow escape. They remove their own slime by knotting their bodies and passing the length through the bight scraping the slime off.

Pat WRT your birds knowing that you are in your hide, try entering the hide with another person and then that person leaving. This is an old trick used by those who photograph eagles in the Scottish highlands.

{1} or is it an egret?
Last edited by Omega892 on Fri May 10, 2013 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I like the Owl photos ValeryD, is that an eye peeking out low down in the first?
Yep a long tradition of high quality Squirrel photos, and that is a very nice Squirrel photo as well.
Greg
Ps I was watching a TV doco thing on some cliff nesting birds a long time ago (it might have been Eagles I forget) they were using a hide and they said birds can’t count, (which I thought was surprising) and they said as long as one person walks away from the hide its all clear as far as the birds are concerned. Anyway it seemed to work ok in the show as far as I remember.
Omega892
Oligarch

Unread post by Omega892 »

Greg Beetham wrote: Ps I was watching a TV doco thing on some cliff nesting birds a long time ago (it might have been Eagles I forget) they were using a hide and they said birds can’t count,
That is what I was alluding to in the post above and I heard it from this guy, http://www.michael-macgregor.co.uk/ who has taken super images of eagles, golden and white tailed (Sea Eagle), and Ospreys.

With a bit of luck will be up there again later in the year. Wish I could walk about like in my youth back packing across the terrain (RN training) from Dalwhinnie to Poldubh bothy in Glen Nevis and Ryvoan in the Cairngorms and many other areas. In fact the Buachaille Etive Mòr has had a hand in my back trouble as a glissade down the saddle on the north side went a little askew. Banging into scree at a lick is not recommended, ran out of snow when I flipped over, regaining correct attitude a bit late.

Now I have, on one of these external drives somewhere, a 360 panoramic I took on the slopes that lead down from Otter Lodge, Glenmore River runs through the grounds to the loch, that I processed to drop in as the background for Stellarium sky map software so that the horizon matched the location.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Thank all you again! I been near the nest today and got a new shots. Baby Owlet is growing and growing... One bad thing - it' grey and rainy day today and the picture looks grey too. It's looks like last capturing of Owl family in this nest.

a57 70-300 USD

a57 70-300 USD

Probably I'll send the picture from a other places, not from a wildlife, as I usually do. :)
Thank you again for the comments!
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Great Owl shots Valery. Enjoyed them very much.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I really like the shot of the two owls looking back at you Valery. Great stuff :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.