Flowers 2013

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Flowers 2013

Unread post by sury »

Valery,
Wow.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

From the flower vase...

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Sury! It's WOW too! :)
Everything in the life unusual!
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Valery,
Spectacular images.
What lens?
Omega892
Oligarch

Unread post by Omega892 »

Birma wrote:Thanks guys :) I'm afraid the Bluebell period is continuing for a bit, at least.
Don't worry Burma I am enjoying them.

Due to neighbour deciding to take down some fence panels during high winds I don't have much to shoot at the moment and I lack instant mobility for ranging far.

...and the second with the Sigma 70-300 APO DG Macro.
That ones intriguing me. What is its Macro ratio and would I be correct in thing it is a f4.5-f5.6 beast?

Some really good shots from others here too, Sury, JB and Valery, a high standard has been set.

Darn it my gout has flared up again, no it is not drink related, making even pecking at a keyboard agony!
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very nice Lilies from Valery and Sury. I was worried that the pollen from those was going to come out of my screen :D

Lionel, it is 1:4, but goes to 1:2 with the special macro switch which you can use between 200 and 300 mm

More details here, including min. focus http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Sigma-70-30 ... ns221.html. DK is very fond of his copy of this lens and I think he's said that he considers it sharper in the centre than his Sony 70-300 G.

It was the second lens I bought (after the kit lens) and as I'm sure I've said many times before, I got it second-hand for £50 :shock: . I'm still smiling after discovering it has FF coverage when I got the A99. I had always assumed that as a budget lens it must be APS-C.

Back to the Bluebells, this time with the Tamron 90 Macro.

Monkwood 2013 - Bluebell 3 by Birm, on Flickr
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
caporip
Grand Caliph

Unread post by caporip »

Love those shots Valeryd especially #1
Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you....
My Flickr site:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rb56/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

That’s an impressive macro shot of the Lily Sury, nicely exposed.
That one looks natural Birma, to the untrained eye that is, I was thinking why don’t you give the 50mm a run on the path/tree shots while there are still some bluebells, natural perspective on the A99, good dof f/8-f/11 and great sharposity too. :D
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Greg :) . The 50mm? Mmm. Interesting idea. It is in the bag, but I must admit to not having used it in anger on the A99 yet. I will try it out this w/e. ("Sharposity"? Brilliant! A new term for lenses is born :lol: .)
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

jbtaylor wrote:Valery,
Spectacular images.
What lens?
SAL55200

Thank all for comments!
Everything in the life unusual!
Omega892
Oligarch

Birma wrote: Lionel, it is 1:4, but goes to 1:2 with the special macro switch which you can use between 200 and 300 mm

More details here, including min. focus http://www.dyxum.com/lenses/Sigma-70-30 ... ns221.html. DK is very fond of his copy of this lens and I think he's said that he considers it sharper in the centre than his Sony 70-300 G.
Thanks Birma. I think I have the, perhaps earlier iteration of that lens as the features are identical except I am not sure about the APO standard, it is now with our youngest daughter for a teenage son to use on the A100. It had a thin gold coloured band around the barrel where the red is on your version. I too bought this second hand because of its hand focal length and macro promise too.

I also, after initial reservations, found it surprisingly good when stopped down as when Macro shooting. The fact that it was suitable for full frame was also attractive as I still used the Dynax 7 back then. I have avoided purchasing C-factor only lenses, well until now with that lens that came with the A77 maybe ( :?: ). I bought the A700 body only as I did the A100 before that.

PS I still flick back to your bluebell along the woodland path shot (the one that induced vertigo at first :wink: ) which has a very pleasing aspect. 8)
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Here are some shots from a wild flower meadow shoot this morning. It was a beautiful sunny morning, despite the early start.

I like the variation from plain purple in this Green Winged Orchid.

Eades Meadow 2013 - Green Winged Orchid 2 by Birm, on Flickr

Trying to capture the amazing colour across the meadow with a variety of flowers including Green Winged Orchids, Buttercups, Cowslips, and Dandelions :)

Eades Meadow 2013 - Meadow Colours by Birm, on Flickr

Both A99, the first with the Sigma 70-300 and the second with the Tamron 90 Macro.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Very nice Birma.
Greg
Omega892
Oligarch

Dipping my toes in the water here some shots of a beautiful Iris my wife has developing with another head on the way RSN (real soon now - Jerry Pournelle BYTE) all by A77 and 70-300mm SSM G

Yes, I would have tried a fine spray of water but the trigger broke and spitting at it didn't seem to work. Besides water spray on flowers isn't always good for them especially in strong sunlight - all those little magnifying lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Very pretty indeed.
Greg