Weather Today-In Your Vicinity 2013

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Re: Weather Today-In Your Vicinity 2013

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

That sure looks wintery Yildiz, I don’t know how you were able to hold the camera still. I saw a weather map on the late news last night and it showed a jet stream swooping down the Mediterranean and across Turkey and then back up into Russia. They were saying that it was bringing all the late winter snow to everywhere, it looks like they might have been correct.
Greg
Ps I hope your renovations are going ok. :D
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Greg Beetham wrote:That sure looks wintery Yildiz, I don’t know how you were able to hold the camera still. I saw a weather map on the late news last night and it showed a jet stream swooping down the Mediterranean and across Turkey and then back up into Russia. They were saying that it was bringing all the late winter snow to everywhere, it looks like they might have been correct.
Greg
Ps I hope your renovations are going ok. :D
Hi Greg, :D

You are right with your weather map conclusions! : ) I always admire your map observations; both the stellar maps of space with all the constellations, bright and dull and the weather maps.
We have until Wendesday with the semi-snowy weather front and then spring will roll in they predict.
As for how the camera was held still: I opend the window and then stood inside to take the shot. The night before it was so windy I couldn't get my head out as the large raind drops beat down my face and head at 3-4 am in the morning. Interesting weather days here. : ))

It's either raining or snowing all over Turkey at the moment... : )

My renovations are going fine. Could go faster with a bit of intense work... Maybe I should spend more time there. With Andy/Birma's latest camera acquisition I found myself pondering yet again on the idea of purchasing a good Sony camera... I may or I may not but I've been looking at cameras for a long time now. You don't like SLT cameras so I believe your vote for an A77 or an A99 would be negative. One can always sell it if one isn't satisfied with the camera of course....Just thinking aloud. :D

Yildiz
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Thanks Yildiz you’re too kind. :D
As far as the SLT’s go there are good points and not so good points, personally I don’t dislike them all that much even though one might get the impression otherwise, what I don’t like is there is no decent DSLR choice, that’s why I get a bit upset when I see Sony doing things to the system, moving things around, fixing things that aren’t broken etc. and seemingly going off the rails a bit.

The A99 seems to take great photos from what I’ve seen, it has awesome dynamic range. The thing one has to deal with I think with a 24MP FF camera is in all likelihood it will entail one getting a serious dose of GAS as far as lenses are concerned, so one should go in eyes wide open on that issue.

I’d encourage you to get one if you think it would make you happy in your photography, that’s what counts, you don’t have to please anyone but yourself when it comes right down to it. (and being able to afford it of course, that comes in handy) :lol:
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Greg, :)

I totally agree that the only person to please is myself. Strange that the actual cost of the camera is not what is keeping me from getting either of the models or the proper lenses, it's the lack of a good 'project' that will be the incentive. A trip to an interesting and pretty exotic land in the foreseeable future would have me getting all tje required items... I just am not so sure that I want yet an other advanced camera to shoot flowers and such as subjects though it certainly would work wonders on the flower shot! :D

You're right that Sony got itself into a confused-customer state.

Well, maybe a justifying project will create itself through. Maybe the answer is in tje stars.... : )

Yildiz
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Hi Yildiz, sometimes you have to go the whole hog (is that the right idiom here? :roll: ).
So, do as Andy or I did. Opt for a FF.
After all, landscapes have to be captured with FF.
But beware, once you're there, you'll have a serious lens lust, specially for the STF (as Andy and I do :wink: )
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Dr. Harout wrote:Hi Yildiz, sometimes you have to go the whole hog (is that the right idiom here? :roll: ).
So, do as Andy or I did. Opt for a FF.
After all, landscapes have to be captured with FF.
But beware, once you're there, you'll have a serious lens lust, specially for the STF (as Andy and I do :wink: )
:D
I see an AndyHaroutismic sydrome working its way around my head here. I am about 99% lured into landscape thoughts now, Dr. Harout..... :)

How good is a99 in action shots, did you try it out already, Dr. Harout?

Thanks for the push towards a FF camera. : ) You sound very pleased with yours after the few months you became the adoring owner. I am very happy for you. I hope I can say the same for whatever model is in my future. : )

Thanks.

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Yildiz , great to see the update from Istanbul. I'm glad you've been able to take a break from the renovations. You are certainly having the last throws of winter by the look of it. Glad to see spring is not far away. A new project sounds like a great idea to inspire some photography plans. I find either some new gear, or a new location can be just the tonic. Both is even better :) .

A friend was recently telling me about a trip he had made to Ephesus. I expect it is the sort of place that is very touristy, but it does look interesting. I will have to put that on the long term travel plans. In the near term, we are planning a trip to Skye over Easter, so that should provide some inspiration for me. I hope the spring will bring some for you too.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

tsawwassen 8ºc. Sun & Cloud.

Nice shot of the snowy roof Yildiz, it looks like -1º c. to me. ;^)

We might be out of the white stuff now, but still lots of
the liquid kind.

Congtratulation's on acquiring the å99 Birma, looking forward
to seeing shots from Skye. Did you ever visit or tour the Taliskers
distillery? Their 18 year old is Stephanie's favourite Scotch.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Birma, : )

Thanks. When that plan materializes I'm pretty sure that you'll enjoy your destination Ephesus very much. The trick to taking good and worthy shots of the ancient remains such as Ephesuss in Turkey is to skip the touristic seasons altogether. Then you can have the place to yourself and take some great wide angle landscape shots that will endure the test of time while making your photograph albums valuable. Ephesus never gets boring like most other ancient places around the world. There used to be a huge library there of which the main facade still remains. I'm sure you'll enjoy the historical facts of the region very much.
You can also visit the small chapel where Virgin Mary took refuge an lived as well. :) Just arrive earlier or later than the real touristic seasons and that A99 and some good lenses will provide some unbeatable photos. :)

Hi David,

: ) It's raining frozen droplets right now and is very cold. -1at the moment as say.

Canada is beautiful in any state of the weather. Soon lots of wild creatures will show around I believe. Your main routes to and from your occupational destination are enough to provide some amazing wildlife instances as time so proved. :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. :D

Yildiz
Last edited by aster on Sun Mar 17, 2013 9:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dr. Harout

aster wrote::D
I see an AndyHaroutismic sydrome working its way around my head here. I am about 99% lured into landscape thoughts now, Dr. Harout..... :)

How good is a99 in action shots, did you try it out already, Dr. Harout?

Thanks for the push towards a FF camera. : ) You sound very pleased with yours after the few months you became the adoring owner. I am very happy for you. I hope I can say the same for whatever model is in my future. : )

Thanks.

Yildiz
:lol: I liked that syndrome.
Not much for an action shot yet, Yildiz.
Weather permits, I'll try the a99 in many instances.
For now, I'll say that the IQ is superb, focusing is great (I mean AF, otherwise MF is always great with focus peeking).
I got back to real focal lengths I was used too before; a 50mm is a 50 mm and not a 75mm angle of view.
My 2/24 ZA finally became a very good wide angle optics and not a 36mm.
You'll love it, Yildiz. And afaik you love architecture, which means FF is ideal for you... and I would like to draw your attention to the new Samyang/Rokinon TS 24 mm lens. That sure is on my wish list. Just think of it, your a99 attached with a TS 24mm lens nested on a sturdy tripod in face of a beautifully adorned monumental building :wink:

Flickr
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I took John (Juanito200) and his son out to Ruby Beach. Just our luck it was raining. Not just any rain, I discovered afterward that it had a name, "Atmospheric River Poseidon." Specifically, it was 3-5 inches of rain in just the day that we were there, but it continued all week:

Photographer and Son by Kevin_Barrett, on Flickr

Water Everywhere by Kevin_Barrett, on Flickr

BTW, the A77s and A700 did fine.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dr. Harout

Kevin, I like the shots and the titles. Why don't you link them a bit bigger?
Nice to see John with you in Seattle.
BTW, why isn't John showing up here lately?

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

More rain and cold weather here today :(

Yldiz, Thanks for the thoughts on Ephesus. What do you think are the busiest tourist seasons so I can try and avoid them?

Doc, that Samyang 24mm tilt/shift does look very interesting :)

DA, I have been to the Talisker distillery - a very fine place for Single Malts! The 18 year old is a very fine choice. I always imagine there is a hint of the sea in Talisker due to the barrels being stored next to the sea loch in Carbost.

KB, Great to see that John and family have been visiting you, but what a lot of rain!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Birma wrote: ...

Yldiz, Thanks for the thoughts on Ephesus. What do you think are the busiest tourist seasons so I can try and avoid them?

Hi Andy,

The best period for visiting such places on the coastal Turkey is right before the Turkish schools close for the summer holiday and right after the schools start in Fall. We Turkish and the majority of international tourists wait for the schools to close to move to the coastal regions for the summer which crowds the great shorelines and historical districts with touring tourists that go about with their guides in flocks. Avoiding them during a photo shoot requires much patience because you have to wait for them to leave the area that you plan to shoot and that would be losing precious time when you could move onto an other ancient remain to shoot.

Starting late March-early April, ending in the middle of June (this is when the schools close doors for the holidays) and starting end of September and during th month of October and sometimes November because the coasts are usually warm still during that period is very suitable for photo-enthusiasts that are half pro in their approaches.
When I was a kid, we used to make sure to use those times to avoid the crowds and to have the places to ourselves around people who thought much like us.

Our Scandinavian visitors and the British along witht the Russian love these periods when our Mediterranean waters are still too warm for natives of such cold climates with freezing waters. Even we, the Turkish find the waters warm enough to stay in water for a good long swim and water games. :D

I know that Tilly is a little school girl which makes you live on a different schedule but I'm sure some of your holidays still make it possible for you to visit Turkish coasts for at least a week. : )) Like Easter and such which the Turkish don't have which means that the coastline will be all yours, the foreigners....

More precise info can be gathered if I asked around to a couple of Tourist agent offices about the demanding months and the most vacant months they experience of course. : ))

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Yildiz for the detailed information. Much food for thought there :)