Nepal trip photos

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Nepal trip photos

Unread post by bakubo »

I didn't see this or even hear about it when I was in Nepal in 2012. Sounds like the after slaughter BBQ would surely make it into Guinness. Sheesh.

Huge animal sacrifice in Nepal

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... itual.html

Devotees slaughter tens of thousands of animals in Nepal festival

http://news.yahoo.com/nepals-mass-anima ... 50244.html

"More than two million Hindus massed in a remote corner of Nepal on Friday for the slaughter of tens of thousands of animals to honour a goddess, defying protests from rights activists."

"Worshippers on the first day slaughtered more than 6,000 buffaloes, which were coralled into holding pens in the fields, along with at least 100,000 goats and other animals, head priest Chaudhary told AFP."

"An estimated 300,000 animals had their heads chopped off or throats slit during the last festival in 2009, making it the world's biggest sacrifice of animals at any one site."
iannewall2011
Acolyte

Unread post by iannewall2011 »

Looked at a couple of galleries Henry, I particulary liked the Panoramic shots,excellent images.It must have taken a lot of time and effort to name and file them all.
Well done Henry

Ian
Pitter
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Pitter »

What a wonderful collection of photos from all over and thanks for the comments on the Olympus (food for thought there). Took my time to enjoy your website. Congratulations on beautiful work.
Sony a6000 with 1.8 24 mm
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

iannewall2011 wrote:Looked at a couple of galleries Henry, I particulary liked the Panoramic shots,excellent images.It must have taken a lot of time and effort to name and file them all.
Well done Henry
Thank you, Ian.

I use the free JAlbum to create my photo galleries. I have processed the shots in Lightroom for about the last 3 years, but before that I used Photoshop or Photoshop Elements.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Pitter wrote:What a wonderful collection of photos from all over and thanks for the comments on the Olympus (food for thought there). Took my time to enjoy your website. Congratulations on beautiful work.
Thank you very much.

By the way, I have used various DSLRs (Sony, KM, Canon) and FSLRs (Minolta) over the years, but m4/3 finally got good enough and small enough that I switched for my travel. Often my travel photo threads are a mix of photos, experiences while traveling, and gear. This thread about a road trip to Virginia was when I first got the E-M5 and has lots of gear discussion sprinkled through it:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=6746

This one about Turkey also does:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=8244

And this one about Bali:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =17&t=7760

There have been other posts and threads also, but at the moment these 3 plus the current Nepal thread are the ones that came quickly to mind.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

The earthquake in Nepal and the devastation it wrought has been on my mind the last few days. So many people killed, injured, and made homeless.

The loss of life and injuries are, of course, the most important thing, but it is also very sad to hear that so many, reportedly most, of the ancient temples, palaces, and monuments that I saw and marvelled at have been destroyed too. Nepal is a very poor country that depends a lot on tourism. Now that so much has been destroyed it is bound to reduce the number of future visitors. Also, undoubtedly a lot of the infrastructure that visitors depend on (hotels, etc.) has taken a big hit also. Some people go to Nepal for trekking, but even most of them also go for the ancient sights. This will be an additional blow to poor Nepal.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

It is very sad indeed. Their indomitable spirit will help them rise again.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

A truly devastating earthquake with an estimated magnitude of 7.8. Apparently all ancient structures built using fired-brick blocks are down, being weak.
Hopefully UN will accelerate the rate of aids by engaging all governments around the World for further help, both humanitarian and on the restoration of the sites that were a source of national income for Nepal.

Soon we'll hear news of that nature, I hope and believe.

Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

aster wrote: Hopefully UN will accelerate the rate of aids by engaging all governments around the World for further help, both humanitarian and on the restoration of the sites that were a source of national income for Nepal.

Fortunately, China and India border Nepal and they are big economic powers. China is now ranked largest in the world by some. Both countries complain that they don't get the respect, status, and recognition they deserve based on their economic size and population. Both say they should be on the UN Security Council and in other influential world bodies. Therefore I am sure they are taking the lead in helping their poor neighbor that is right across their border. The rest of us can help China and India though and we should.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

bakubo wrote:
aster wrote: Hopefully UN will accelerate the rate of aids by engaging all governments around the World for further help, both humanitarian and on the restoration of the sites that were a source of national income for Nepal.

Fortunately, China and India border Nepal and they are big economic powers. China is now ranked largest in the world by some. Both countries complain that they don't get the respect, status, and recognition they deserve based on their economic size and population. Both say they should be on the UN Security Council and in other influential world bodies. Therefore I am sure they are taking the lead in helping their poor neighbor that is right across their border. The rest of us can help China and India though and we should.
I've been thinking about your comment as well as following the news in the mean time, Henry. Thank you for sharing a neat observation. Very true that Nepal shares borders with some grand-scale-economy countries which could provide imminent relief and that they could make a good start, boosting the aid process which I believe is rather slow. Nepal is shaking still and I hope the UN and every country sympathizing with the Nepali and what they are going through, lend a helping hand. Humanitarian aid of any kind from the neighbouring countries will definitely earn them a global respect and a probable recognition as a global force in many levels.

That's what neighbours are for and that's how we'll overcome economical and cultural barriers in the short/long run. It's all about recognizing our strengths and utilizing them in improving other lives as well as ours for meaningful mutual objectives.

It's a slow process though, sadly and the world is running out of time. We, humans are more on a downhill walk in providing progress and slow in acting in time to provide solutions when it's most effective. It's only recently that we've become more concerned about the nature of all that are hazardous or how to protect the planet from further damage, hence the future of all humanity.

We have to learn to fight our weak natures better and overcome selfishness...or you know the all too clear ending to our story. Some other alien species will probably write our history for the universal legacy and to perpetuate... (I believe in other forms of life in outer space)

Yildiz
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I was expecting that China and India would step up and it seems they have:

Nepal earthquake: How the regional rivalry between China and India has spilled over into the international rescue effort

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 24298.html

And then there was also this recent news. :(

6 U.S. Marines and 2 Nepalese Killed in Helicopter Crash Over Nepal on Relief Mission

http://edition.cnn.com/2015/05/17/asia/ ... und-nepal/
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Yes, only was expected. Good to see that there's some serious attempt on the two neighboring countries to provide relief.

The Nepalese aren't convinced of the humanitarian intentions as it appears, pointing out that two may not be as altruistic in the aid actions. But I believe that it's better than no help. Some locals even analyzed why these aid workers from different countries may be in to help. (One local couldn't figure out why the Turks were there and what their motives might have been. I suppose they forget that, Turkey was shaken by major earthquakes that caused the deaths of thousands of civilians in 1999 in Izmit,Turkey and that there were some smaller scale earthquakes later in the new millennium that caused devastations. Turks know what it's like to be hit by such a disaster and most probably are there for only humanitarian purposes.)

I suppose the latest political maneuvers before the earthquakes led to the suspicions.

I'm so sorry that the very young US corps that rushed there so unselfishly, only to bring relief and to aid in the rescue efforts, lost their lives. Sad news. Good to hear that the US will continue on their mission, no matter what. The young corps will be forever remembered for their humanitarian works. Not knowing the difficult geographical elements of the region, they were taking risks. Helicopters are difficult to pilot in such regions and requires years of experience.

Thanks for sharing the news, Henry.

Yildiz
Pitter
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Pitter »

There are probably already some on the market but it's time for you to publish a big fat coffee table book of those fantastic Nepal images! (I liked the dirty pictures from Bhaktapur :) )
Sony a6000 with 1.8 24 mm
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Pitter wrote:There are probably already some on the market but it's time for you to publish a big fat coffee table book of those fantastic Nepal images! (I liked the dirty pictures from Bhaktapur :) )
Thank you very much, Pitter. For a few years I had sort of thought that someday I might try to make a few photos books. I finally experimented with one, but the printing from Blurb was very disappointing. See this thread of mine with details about my experience:

http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... =21&t=8531
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Henry,

You know what they say... If at first you don't succeed, - you're about average! :)

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).