Landscape 2013

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Landscape 2013

Unread post by sury »

This could be posted in Pano too but the focus is on landscape than Pano technique so I chose to post it here.
This is from atop Sterling Vineyards in Calistoga, California (about 25 miles north of Napa town). Calistoga is known
for springs and mud bath. The winery is situated on a big knoll or a small hill. The access is through a tram. This
shot is a 24 image stitch panning from south to west and since I tried to keep the sky not blown the foreground came
dark. I used Katrina fill flash in PS7 and over laid over the original and kept the sky from the original. Poor man's HDR if
you will.

With best regards,
Sury

[url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigsu ... .jpg[/img]
DSC34495518_24_stitchfillovrlay by BigSury, on Flickr[/url]
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

A big view Sury. I am struck by the similarity of the country side here to the UK; gentle hills and green valleys. I like the cloud formation in the sky.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Here are a couple from a very brief trip out after work to catch the last of the light while testing a new body and lens. There was a very photogenic rain cloud that conveniently moved across the hills on the horizon as the sun set. It was very chilly out (2 or 3 degrees centigrade) and the attractive vista was somewhat spoilt by the bonfire in some waste ground near the road behind me where someone seemed to be burning plastic and old tires.

2013 Teme Valley - Tree asnd Rain Cloud by Birm, on Flickr

2013 Teme Valley - Rain over the valley by Birm, on Flickr

Both with Sony A99 and KM 17-35mm f/2.8-4 (D). I'm going to start another thread describing my full-frame adventure (see here http://www.photoclubalpha.com/forum/vie ... 044#p78044 ) :) so just a few comments on the lens here. I am very interested to investigate which wide-angle I am most comfortable with on FF. I like the Sony CZ 16-80 on APS-C and so something 24+ on FF would seem to be ideal. The Sony CZ 24-70 is a big purchase and if 28+ was sufficiently wide for me then the Sony or Tamron 28-75 would be less painful for the bank balance. However perhaps even wider would be better. I have not enjoyed using the Tamron 11-18 range on APS-C, but maybe there is a different feel to ultra wide on FF? I decided to get hold of a second-hand 17-35 (f/2.8-4) and then with my 24-105 (and 35-70) I could investigate what I felt most comfortable / useful with on FF before making a bigger investment in glass. I tried shots at 17, 24, and 35 and the ones at 17 on FF were may favourite. Obviously very early days and no decisions yet.

The KM 17-35 is a nice enough lens. Vignetting and soft in the corners at 17mm (perhaps just as would be expected with this field of view). Zooms and focuses nicely for sedate landscape shooting. Big flare in the first shot, but the sun is in the centre of the frame (nice to have an EVF in these cases to protect the eyes!). Seems crisp enough over most of the frame and the corners improve as you zoom in.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Nice shots Andy. I love the first one for the sunset. Your photos along with others are giving
me ideas about exploring more likely discovering the pleasure of using wide angles.
Widest I have is a 24f2 and then 24-70f2.8. Personally it was a relearning my composition
methods (or more like habits) since I always did stitching with a zoom.

With best regards,
Sury
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Yes, I love the first shot too, Andy.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thank you Sury and Doc.
sury

Unread post by sury »

From the outing couple of weeks ago. CZ2470 on A900.

DSC36058shadowboost by BigSury, on Flickr

DSC35652autocontrshdw by BigSury, on Flickr
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Birma wrote:... Both with Sony A99 and KM 17-35mm f/2.8-4 (D).

I am very interested to investigate which wide-angle I am most comfortable with on FF. I like the Sony CZ 16-80 on APS-C and so something 24+ on FF would seem to be ideal. The Sony CZ 24-70 is a big purchase and if 28+ was sufficiently wide for me then the Sony or Tamron 28-75 would be less painful for the bank balance. However perhaps even wider would be better. I have not enjoyed using the Tamron 11-18 range on APS-C, but maybe there is a different feel to ultra wide on FF? I decided to get hold of a second-hand 17-35 (f/2.8-4) and then with my 24-105 (and 35-70) I could investigate what I felt most comfortable / useful with on FF before making a bigger investment in glass. I tried shots at 17, 24, and 35 and the ones at 17 on FF were may favourite. Obviously very early days and no decisions yet.

The KM 17-35 is a nice enough lens. Vignetting and soft in the corners at 17mm (perhaps just as would be expected with this field of view). Zooms and focuses nicely for sedate landscape shooting. Big flare in the first shot, but the sun is in the centre of the frame (nice to have an EVF in these cases to protect the eyes!). Seems crisp enough over most of the frame and the corners improve as you zoom in.
The ZA 24-70 f2.8 is definitely a great lens and surely worth it's expensive price.
The Sony/Minolta 28-75 f2.8 is a good option (good IQ, great at close focus, the Sony version is SAM and, in my own experience, focus a little faster and more accurate than the Minolta) I don't think you need a zoom that starts at 24mm if you already have the 17-35 f2.8-4. In order to avoid vignetting or soft corners, use the 17-35 at f11 (and a slim filter, not the regular ones). At the long end, this lens can be soft if wide open
I don't believe the 24-105 is good enough for 24MP full frame cameras -It was quite good on the 7D; just OK on the A700 and if you got FF I fear you'll be disappointed.

Regards

Pako
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks Pako. That's useful advice.

Any thoughts on the latest Sigma 24-70 or the forthcoming Tamron 24-70?
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

I recently got a variable ND filter. I took this shot with it last Sunday. With hindsight I should have lowered the ISO to give a longer exposure, but its OK I guess.

regards - Peter
130317044.jpg
(196.26 KiB) Downloaded 1833 times
Last edited by dewarp on Tue Mar 19, 2013 7:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Nice contrast between dreamy soft water and harsh rocks. Love it.

Sury
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

Hi Sury

You beat me to it! I decided that I had lightened the image too much and swopped it out for the un-lightened version. Meanwhile you viewed the old one! - but its not too different.

regards - Peter
sury

Unread post by sury »

This one certainly is a bit less differentiated than the replaced one, if my memory serves me right.
This is less bimodal and more landscape like.The other one was more like I want to emphasize the
rugged land and calmer seas

Sury
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Peter - that is a really nice picture. I like the colours, and the lighting, with the sweep of the bay leading you through to the sky with great cloud formations. There is a very interesting quality to the image overall. I assume this is from PP, but it has the feel of an illustration or painting. How do you do this? I am a bit of a sucker for silky smooth sea, although sometimes waves can provide some nice splashes of texture in close.
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

Hi Birma

As with most of my stuff, a lot of PP was involved. I took about 60 images over a period of about an hour as the sun went down. These were a combination of straight shots and long duration ND filter shots (obviously with the camera fixed on a tripod). I selected about half a dozen images that had specific advantages and converted to TIFF. I then combined the good points of about four of these images. I removed one large rock outcrop that ruined the composition. I then shifted the colours slightly towards the split complimentary yellow-purple-blue, which is probably what gives it the "painting" feel that you sense. The image as presented here is a bit disapointing when compared to the print, but I guess that's normal.

regards - Peter