iPad viewing issue

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

iPad viewing issue

Unread post by artington »

I now browse this forum exclusively on my iPad. While this is fine for text postings it is not so for images, which usually appear in square format once locked open, with the right hand third of the image cut off. Is this a curse of the formatting which cannot be changed to accommodate tablets (I don't know whether this is a problem for android devices) or can something be done about it? Presumably it is to do with the standard image entry procedures because some posters are apparently using a different method as their images do not suffer in this fashion. for example, Kevin Barrett's images are not curtailed but this may be because they are linked to Flickr. Others, eg Sury's, mvanheenen's and my own, are. As things stand it is pointless my looking at image postings unless they are linked to Flickr. I might add that this problem is exclusive to PCA as far as my experience goes. There are no such problems with, for example, the excellent Fred Miranda forums, which are a joy for viewing images. :D
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: iPad viewing issue

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Artington, sorry for not responding sooner (as discussed on another thread, tablet use is discouraging me from responding fully!). I view the forum a lot via iPad and iPhone, both on iOS 6 and using Safari as the browser. I also use Firefox on a PC and Safari on a Mac. The iOS devices show smaller versions of what I am getting on the Mac; i.e. I see the full forum width with borders down each side. On iOS I can double click on the main entry column and this will expand to fill the screen (excluding the author column). I see no difference between Flickr and non-Flickr pictures.

Could this be a feature of your forum settings?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

I'm sorry that I can't help here. Maybe everyone who use an ipad that can help have stopped posting anything. :(
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Sorry Arlington, but the only Apple stuff I have is the fruit and the tree kind!i Can't help you at all!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
NevHi
Heirophant

Unread post by NevHi »

Can't you pinch zoom the images to fit the screen?
5D, 8000i, XD7
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Thanks for the responses. Neither double-clicking or pinch-zooming resolves the issue - it just magnifies. The pictures are constrained at the right side (thereby reducing them to square format and losing the right hand third) by the poster column. Possibly this is a user preferences issue but if so I don't know how to change it. The problem is the same on both my original iPad 1 and current iPad 4, the latter being on ios 6.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

If the poster column on your screen is on the right hand side it sounds like you have difference forum preferences set up (mine is on the left). You need to go to the "User Control Panel (UCP)". It is a large button at the top of the forum in my view. Within UCP go to "Board Preferences". "My Board Style" is set to "twilightBB" for me. Does changing this make any difference?
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

I did not see any issues on my iPad either. Though it is not primarily used, I tested to see if I would face the same problems.

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Birma wrote:If the poster column on your screen is on the right hand side it sounds like you have difference forum preferences set up (mine is on the left). You need to go to the "User Control Panel (UCP)". It is a large button at the top of the forum in my view. Within UCP go to "Board Preferences". "My Board Style" is set to "twilightBB" for me. Does changing this make any difference?
Thanks, Birma. Changing the style to subsilver2 appears to have done the trick by shifting he poster column from right to left.
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

That's the board style that I use, "subsilver2." It has the added perk of an ever-present "View unread posts" button that isn't there in the default style (or else I couldn't find it).
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

You're welcome Artington - glad you got it sorted :)