Page 22 of 41

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 12:24 am
by Juanito200
Sury- I'll be happy to send you the color one.. The IR conversion that I had done on the camera has only the red channel of the sensor used. I'll send you a PM tonight..
Lonnie- still a nice shot, flat light not withstanding.. Sorry to hear about the hood.. That price is insane....

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 4:23 pm
by Lonnie Utah
Thanks for the kind words folks.

As for the flat light comment, flat light provides a nice even light that compliments this type of shot. I guess what I was really trying to convey is that the lighting conditions influenced my decision to shoot a micro-landscape vs a grand landscape vista. Our campsite was at 10,000' and we had 11K and 12K peaks all around us. However, the overcast skies didn't lend themselves to that sort of shooting so I improvised on the spot after finding this location. The "main" Provo river falls is a much grander waterfall, but also very crowded on weekends and the probability of getting a shot without people in it is very slim. I simply hiked up stream about 1/2 mile until I found these lesser known falls.

As for the hood, talked to my agent's secretary yesterday and they're reasonably confident that the hood will be covered by my camera insurance. So that's good news.


Cheers,
L

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:36 pm
by sury
Thanks Lonnie. Your explanation is a good lesson for me in terms of handling flat light versus good light.
I never paid attention to what kind of light I have to work with, in the past, other than the Golden hour
and I learned something valuable.


With best regards,
Sury

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:32 pm
by sury
Juanito200 wrote:Sury- I'll be happy to send you the color one.. The IR conversion that I had done on the camera has only the red channel of the sensor used. I'll send you a PM tonight..
Lonnie- still a nice shot, flat light not withstanding.. Sorry to hear about the hood.. That price is insane....


Thank you John. It certainly helped my point of view in that discussion. :D He was considering only color versus bw
and reached some conclusions and I gave him an exception. He is now back to drawing board to do some further analysis. :twisted: :lol:

Sury

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:05 pm
by Lonnie Utah
sury wrote:Thanks Lonnie. Your explanation is a good lesson for me in terms of handling flat light versus good light.
I never paid attention to what kind of light I have to work with, in the past, other than the Golden hour
and I learned something valuable.


With best regards,
Sury


If you haven't done so, I highly recommend watching Eileen Rafferty's seminar on the B&H photo channel "Visual Design of a photograph". It's 1 hour, 40 mins long, but starting at about 1 hour she starts talking about lighting direction (front, back, side) and light quality (hard or soft).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9RQ6YPVWhA

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Posted: Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:59 pm
by sury
Lonnie,
Thank you for the link. I will be watching it tonight.

Sury

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Posted: Sat Aug 16, 2014 10:38 pm
by Juanito200
Thanks for the link Lonnie. Sounds like great info.

I was dodging work the other day, so, I took my IR NEX-5N to downtown Dallas and took some shots.. I was praying for clouds, but it was perfect clear skies all day. :(
Here are a couple from my walk downtown.

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Posted: Sun Aug 17, 2014 1:08 am
by sury
First one is eclectic. Second one is fantastic and third one is unusual, John.

Sury

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:06 pm
by mvanrheenen
Oee of the most used object in photography probably, but the details on the moon never grow old.

Image
Detailed moon by markvanrheenen, on Flickr

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:56 pm
by sury
Excellent Mark. Usually I crop the sky around but learned something new in terms of composition.

Sury

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:49 pm
by Kalainen
Juanito200 wrote:Thanks for the link Lonnie. Sounds like great info.

I was dodging work the other day, so, I took my IR NEX-5N to downtown Dallas and took some shots.. I was praying for clouds, but it was perfect clear skies all day. :(
Here are a couple from my walk downtown.
Johm, you got a great graphical taste with IR/b&W pictures. I like the first one best. Last one is also great, because of human figure. Great stuff.

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:52 pm
by Kalainen
mvanrheenen wrote:Oee of the most used object in photography probably, but the details on the moon never grow old.

Image
Detailed moon by markvanrheenen, on Flickr

I've seen a lot of full moon pictures and I always think, why photograph the full moon since with a lack of shadows it doesn't express the form and valleys of the moon. You've photographed the moon excatly the right time. :-)

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Posted: Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:51 pm
by Juanito200
Thanks Toni! Mark. Great moon shot.. I love photographing the moon, and I keep browsing the used lens sites, and eBay for a gently used 400 APO... For no other purpose than the moon, and the sun.

John

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:05 pm
by mvanrheenen
Juanito200 wrote:Thanks Toni! Mark. Great moon shot.. I love photographing the moon, and I keep browsing the used lens sites, and eBay for a gently used 400 APO... For no other purpose than the moon, and the sun.

John


Thanks gents! I'm quite fond of astronomy photography myself. I really like some of the wonderous images people take from all those little dots in the sky.

Re: Exhibit your B&W shots

Posted: Mon Aug 25, 2014 8:06 pm
by caporip
Random shots of crowd members and participants at Dunsford airshow. (a99 +70-400mm)

Image

Image

Image