Blast from the past

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Blast from the past

Unread post by sury »

Good one Greg. Few tweaks by DA and it is good to go. :lol:
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great to have a Saturn rocket and a rusty tractor in the same thread :)

Nice one Greg - needs some tinkering I would say!
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

I love old rusty mechanical "wreckage", it always looks great.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Thanks guys, DA must be off on a trip.
Greg
Omega892
Oligarch

Unread post by Omega892 »

The following pictures were from a set I took one chilly October Sunday afternoon at Woodham's Brothers scrap yard Barry Island South Wales in 1983. The primary intent of these images was to support a project in an arts module of an otherwise Maths and Science oriented degree course. The module was Colour and Form with light and shade contrasts forming a part. Because I wanted prints for the course I used Kodacolor Gold negative film.

You like rust, how are these.

A GWR G J Churchward designed 2-8-0 tender goods engine 2861 built in June 1918. This was the last locomotive removed from the scrapyard

Hyper-focal distance anyone?

Another similar but later built GWR 2-8-0 goods 3855 built October 1942, Based on the Churchward above but with modifications by C B Collett

The next is a William Stanier design for the LMS railway. Stanier moved to the LMS from the GWR (in which time he supervised the running of the then new GWR King 6000 King George V in the USA for the centenary of the 'Baltinore & Ohio' railway - 1928) and the Swindon influence on this 5MT (mixed traffic) 4-6-0 45337, the class being know as the 'Black Fives', is clear

I can still hear the 'blasts' from the exhaust steam as these started off with heavy loads.

As a young lad I once shovelled coal into the hole of a GWR 4-6-0 Hall Class as we rode the footplate from the station to the engine shed (and then scuttled through that hand hole in the fence behind) as she came off her express turn. Health & Safety, wassat?
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
sury

Unread post by sury »

Very nice shots Lionel. I certainly enjoyed the narrative as much. Growing with steam engines
trains being main mode of transportation, these certainly evoked fond memories of my childhood.
Most steam engines in India were 2-6-2 configuration if my memory serves me right. The most annoying
part of the travel was the thin layer of coal dust on your skin and clothes. One never wore white color
clothing traveling those trains unless traveling first class and never open the windows.

With best regards,
Sury
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Very evocative pictures Lionel :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

There was a program on TV recently about old steam locos and it showed the old scrappy where most of the locos ended up. One and the same I wonder.

Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Omega892
Oligarch

Unread post by Omega892 »

Thanks Sury and Birma.

Yes Mike I am sure that the programme you mention was covering Woodham's Scarap Yard on Barry Island, South Wales, near Cardiff.

Here is one that escaped GWR King Class 6023 King Edward II. I first photographed it during my 1983 visit when I focused on the cut driving wheels which I photographed again in 1992 at Didcot Railway Centre and then more recently. Indeed, a rather faded copy of my photographs from 1983 are on the display board in this shot.

The blue finish seen here is unusual being applied to a running engine in the late 1940s. The normal GWR official livery was Brunswick Green. Since this picture was taken she has been susses fully steamed, more here http://www.6023.co.uk/photo_gallery/His ... .jpeg.html

another classic GWR type was the 2-6-0 (Mogul) tender engine of which this is a Churchward designed example

Perhaps the boy is wondering, 'Why is he called ROD?'

The answer is that ROD was the Railway Operating Division of the army Royal Engineers, many steam locomotives of use for freight were deployed in France during WW1, hence the khaki (a term of Indian origin) livery.

The diesel rail-car in the left background was a frequent visitor to my home city of Gloucester when I was growing up in the 1950s, it dates from the 1930s.

I was trying out the then new Sony 70-300mm SSM G and took this cab interior shot from some distance. The sunlight was extremely strong requiring some exposure compensation

'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
sury

Unread post by sury »

From 2005 trip to Monterey Classic Car Races. With Dimage A1. That camera was my introduction
to photography. :D
The thing I like about these races is the tour of the paddock area where you can almost rub shoulders
with owners/drivers. I am told that a car has to be at least 20 years old to participate in the race.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolex_Mont ... ts_Reunion

Here is a nostalgia evoking taxi cab of yesteryears.

Some oldie but goodies.

Cogito
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Cogito »

These 3 shot with my Minolta XM using Fujicolour 100 ASA. Sometime between 1989 and 1991 when I lived in Somerset.

Drummer and guitarist one lunchtime in the pub.

Statue is "Leapfrog Children" by John Robinson.

There is actually a sign indicating that this is a public footpath.....
Tony
Be you ever so high, the law is above you. Lord Denning
sury

Unread post by sury »

Another one from car races....

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Great entries of technology on tires, guys. THe thread is like taking a look inside the toy room of a colourful boy...rather elderly boys but still boys at heart. :)

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
sury

Unread post by sury »

This is from Sterling Vineyards, Calistoga, California. Looking South East. Napa is due south of this winery,
perched atop a 300 feet (~90 M) hill(ock).

Taken with Dimage A1 in 2005.

sury

Unread post by sury »

It has been a while since had the blast....