From your garden/backyard

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: From your garden/backyard

Unread post by sury »

I never look at a hose with disdain again Henry. Nice Capture.
Greg, for your benefit - a hydrated frond. :)

Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:Those palms don't seem to be surviving very well Henry, more desiccated fronds, (they are alive aren't' they?) and that's what I need a garden hose that won't kink.
The fronds above those were alive and looking healthy.

Yes, boring and safe is generally best for a garden hose. Kinky has its place, but not while out in the garden where children may unexpectedly walk by.
Wildieswife
Oligarch

Unread post by Wildieswife »

Wow - lots more images! I've been busy working etc :( Those baby spiders are great - as are all of the new images!

I've manged to get in the garden a few times - it's the PPing that I'm trying to fit in!

Dad Sparrows –

....................... 3 more next ;)
"Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" Bob Dylan
Wildieswife
Oligarch

Unread post by Wildieswife »

......and “Baby” sparrows –

I realise these birds are pests in North America but here they are on the Red List as their numbers are plummeting. We've 'grown our own' colony by supporting them with a regular supply of food/scraps/habitat for insects. They struggle to find nesting sites because of modern building techniques but at least they have the energy to fly further to and from the nests during the breeding season. They also roost in our hedges whereas most people put up easily maintained fences :(

Pat
"Ah, but I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now" Bob Dylan
caporip
Grand Caliph

Unread post by caporip »

Pat
Lovely shots of the sparrows! One way of encouraging them is making terraced next box. Ive built one for me and my mum and both have been used regularly:-

http://www.lincstrust.org.uk/factsheets ... parrow.php
Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you....
My Flickr site:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rb56/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

They are regarded as an introduced pest here too but I don't mind the Sparrows nicking some birdseed, there is always only eight or ten hopping about among the Pigeons and Doves, I think they are survivors and you have to respect that a little.
Greg
Ps very good Sparrow studies Pat.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Very nice set Pat.
Those used to be so common in India when I was growing up. They have all but disappeared for the
same reasons. Uncontrolled urban growth.

Sury
Omega892
Oligarch

Unread post by Omega892 »

Birma wrote:Nice Pond Skater Henry :)

Wow Ken - extreme close-up! I find it slightly mesmerising.
Indeed it is, a shot after my own heart. Think Fibonacci number sequence.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
Omega892
Oligarch

Wildieswife wrote:......and “Baby” sparrows –Pat
I really like those sparrows Pat. We are seeing a few more about this last couple of years and Dunnocks have been seen again too. These used to be regulars whilst I was able to maintain feeders.

I had to give that up as Raynaud's disease hit on top of gout, both related to reduced circulation and kidney failure after cardiac arrests - stress of maintaining three jobs (day job on the road on computer technical support, evening job teaching IT across abroad range in evenings and providing logistic support for two teenagers at university in different parts of the country). Oh and studying for an MSc myself.

Having appreciated your bird shots you may not like what I am about to post pictures of.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
Omega892
Oligarch

Being home alone for long periods whilst recovering from the trauma of cardiac arrests my youngest daughter decided to re-home a young cat in my direction to keep me company whilst wife was at work and also to provide a calming influence.

Here she is taken about ten years ago before she was poisoned by something in the neighbourhood. When she went to the vet's I did not think I would see here home again. She never did her toilet in anybodies garden as the litter tray was regularly used. I think she copped something intended for another target. This take with a Dynax 7D and Bigma from some distance. She was in deep shade and so softened flash was almost essential.

the next one is some years later, Alpha 700 and 70=300mm G SSM

Omega892
Oligarch

The last three in this sequence are close ups which provide character and in the case of the first a clear sense of relationship to other feline species, cats do not have round faces. First two A700 and Minolta 80-200mm High Speed AF APO:

in the next she has spotted a bird no she has never caught one, it is just instinct, as she now rarely steps out doors and if I go between her and the back door she quickly retreats indoors, not so much 'red in tooth and claw':

This last one is recent with A77 and Sony 70-300mm G SSM (this is the full frame type BTW) and trying out the Bower MC7 2X A-AF DGII which achieved a passable result but is generally difficult to use to advantage. more testing required now that I can PP the images. If I go too close to her she tends to come to me which makes framing difficult.

The wife dubbed her Tina but from her colouring which includes a good bit of white and ginger especially underneath I think of her as Onyx.

PS the TIFFs from these A77 RAW images are much larger in file size than I was expecting. Lightroom is definitely sluggish now in the Develop {Edit} facility. Looks like I'll need a more powerful computer after all. Hum! SWMBO ain't going to like that.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Nice set Lionel. Cats were the last thing I was expecting.

Sury
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Lovely Sparrow family Pat. I like the way that the youngsters all look so miserable with their turned down juvenile beaks :)

Nice history of your cat Lionel and i like that side on shot. Really not keen on cats in my garden, but I wouldn't hurt them. I really hope the poisoning was an accident.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

The bird and cat photos are great! It is such a shame that we don't have shots of them together. :lol:
Omega892
Oligarch

Thanks bakubo

I should reprocess that first one as that was originally extracted using RawShooter and I figure I could do better now.