Sunset Flight

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Sunset Flight

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

In May of this year I was on a business trip which involved a change of planes at the Atlanta airport that took place at about sunset. Looking out the terminal window, I saw an image that I found appealing - which is not a surprise since I have been making my living in the aerospace industry for over 50 years.

Since I had my NEX-6 around my neck, all I had to do to capture the image that I wanted was to take a few steps to one side to change the horizontal angle slightly, squat down a little bit to change the vertical angle slightly, thank the airport staff for keeping the windows clean, and press the shutter.

The result is now the wallpaper on my computer screen at work, and is shown below. It may not be anything special to most people, but it is very satisfying to this engineering geek who also happens to be a photo enthusiast.

- Tom -
Attachments
Sunset Flight-601499.jpg
NEX-6 with 16-50 "kit lens" at 22mm, f:4.0, ISO 160, and 1/60 second shutter.
(246 KiB) Downloaded 2148 times
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Sunset Flight

Unread post by Birma »

That's a cracking shot Tom, and a nice advert for the Nex 6 with its kit lens. It combines the beautiful sunset with the airport paraphernalia really well.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I'm up for a plane photo anytime, I was trying to guess what that one was, a 737 variant maybe?
Nice photo.
Greg
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Greg Beetham wrote:I'm up for a plane photo anytime, I was trying to guess what that one was, a 737 variant maybe?
Nice photo.
It is a Boeing 757.

The easy way to tell the difference from the 737 series is that the 737 aircraft all have very short landing gear and the fuselage is closer to the ground. In addition, as a consequence of the low ground clearance, the 737 aircraft have engine inlets that look like they are dented inward on the bottom, rather than pure circular inlets.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Wonderful captureTom. Nice bit of info re difference.
mark111
Initiate

Unread post by mark111 »

Love that photo, well captured such a beautiful sunset
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

A very nice shot.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

UrsaMajor wrote:
The easy way to tell the difference from the 737 series is that the 737 aircraft all have very short landing gear and the fuselage is closer to the ground. In addition, as a consequence of the low ground clearance, the 737 aircraft have engine inlets that look like they are dented inward on the bottom, rather than pure circular inlets.

With best wishes,
- Tom -
[/color]
Ah yes of course, that’s the thing was I was subconsciously missing, the flat bottoms on the fan intakes. When they went from the earlier smaller diameter engines up to the much larger diameter intake fan engines on the later 737’s the bottom of the engine was then much closer to the ground, which of course aren’t present on the plane in the photo.
Something else didn’t look right either, the nose wasn’t pointy enough I think.
Actually I don’t think there are any 757’s in service here with any airline and that’s rather odd, Boeing usually manage to sell at least some of a given model to one airline or another here.
Maybe it was the Airbus penetration into the aviation scene here that was responsible…hard to say.
Greg
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Nice photo, Thomas.

I love planes and that can take to the air, manufactured or otherwise. A sunset shot with a plane in it is a lot better to enjoy. : )

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
caporip
Grand Caliph

Unread post by caporip »

Nicely done
Some days you eat the bear, other days the bear eats you....
My Flickr site:- http://www.flickr.com/photos/rb56/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;