Zion

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
John David Cubit
Heirophant

Zion

Unread post by John David Cubit »

Zion, Utah, is a Mecca for photographers, especially in the fall. Local photographers told me that this was a bad year for fall colors, but I found enough to photograph and to whet my appetite for a return in a good year.

1. The Watchman peak. Every late afternoon/evening 50-100 photographers stand shoulder-to-shoulder on a local bridge to photograph this scene. Besides the photography, it's also a great place to meet and discuss photography while waiting for the pm light to develop.

2. An example of what attracts photographers in November: multicolored sandstone walls and fall foliage.

3. Back-lit frost high on the canyon rim.
stewartjs
Initiate

Re: Zion

Unread post by stewartjs »

Fabulous. :mrgreen:
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Like.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
sury

Unread post by sury »

I loved the third one for its atypical composition. All of them are great.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
John David Cubit
Heirophant

sury wrote:I loved the third one for its atypical composition. All of them are great.
Sury
Thanks, Sury. Regarding the third one--iconoclast that I am, I couldn't help going to the land of iconic images without shooting a non-icon. It's a parallel to the Popperian philosophy--examine the range of possibilities as an antidote to doting on the dogmatic few.
---John
sury

Unread post by sury »

An iconoclast photographer is anything but iconographer. :lol:
examine the range of possibilities as an antidote to doting on the dogmatic few
Love it, though I am not sure I am minimizing the avoidable suffering by seeking to examine the range
of possibilities. :D

Not withstanding, that third one is a "whack on the side of my head". :idea: All I have been thinking
is why didn't I think of such a composition and has been going through all the places I visited that could
have given me something similar though may not be as dramatic. A non-sequitur of Popperian philosophy,
I suppose. :D

With best regards,
Sury
John David Cubit
Heirophant

sury wrote:An iconoclast photographer is anything but iconographer. :lol:
Love it, though I am not sure I am minimizing the avoidable suffering by seeking to examine the range
of possibilities. :D

Not withstanding, that third one is a "whack on the side of my head". :idea: All I have been thinking
is why didn't I think of such a composition and has been going through all the places I visited that could
have given me something similar though may not be as dramatic. A non-sequitur of Popperian philosophy,
I suppose. :D

With best regards,
Sury
Besides the quote you cite, I hold Karl Popper in high esteem for his teachings for arriving at the truth: instead of hyping hypotheses, test them by trying to falsify them, an approach that thrives on finding better alternative hypotheses that withstand rigorous tests. The alternatives are where iconoclasm is key.
sury

Unread post by sury »

John,
I am a neophyte when it comes Popperian philosophy, I must admit. I have started to read
about the man and his philosophies only recently though I have been peripherally familiar with
his philosophies for a while. That quote which I came across few years ago struck a chord in me
and helped me go through a rough patch in my life with better clarity and purpose than I believe
would have been possible otherwise. Not to mention his views on natural selection and religions
do echo strongly with my thinking as well. But I digress.

I am with you on iconoclasm.

With best regards,
Sury
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Wow. Those are all wonderful shots John. I can see why the area is so popular. Lovely colours. I love the sweep of the river in the first and the great light on the mountain peaks. :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
sury

Unread post by sury »

John,
If it is ok with you, I am going to use your following quote in my email signature.
Please let me know otherwise.

With best regards,
Sury
John David Cubit
Heirophant

sury wrote:John,
If it is ok with you, I am going to use your following quote in my email signature.
Please let me know otherwise.

With best regards,
Sury
I welcome it.
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Impressive, have to say the location looks stunning. You got some very nice shots there I do like the last one being a bit different too.
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

bfitzgerald wrote:Impressive, have to say the location looks stunning.
It truly is a stunning place to visit, for photographers and non-photographers alike.

If one has any health issues, the one area of potential concern is that it is at an elevation of approximately 8000 feet, and many of the best scenes are on walking trails that involve a fair amount of elevation change. Even when I was much younger and in reasonably good physical condition, I found myself short of breath on a number of occasions.

But it was worth it . . .

- Tom -

Edit:
I was somewhat in error when I wrote this. For some reason (senility?) I was thinking that I was commenting about the Bryce Canyon area, not the Zion area. Zion is actually at a lower altitude than Bryce and is generally a much less physically demanding area to hike - although still not easy for people from lower elevations. Both are well worth a visit, and are relatively close to each other - so much so that I normally visit both parks on the same trip.
Last edited by UrsaMajor on Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
John David Cubit
Heirophant

UrsaMajor wrote:
bfitzgerald wrote:Impressive, have to say the location looks stunning.
It truly is a stunning place to visit, for photographers and non-photographers alike.
If one has any health issues, the one area of potential concern is that it is at an elevation of approximately 8000 feet, and many of the best scenes are on walking trails that involve a fair amount of elevation change. Even when I was much younger and in reasonably good physical condition, I found myself short of breath on a number of occasions.
But it was worth it . . .
- Tom -
Yes, there's not much oxygen up there. Since I live at sea level, I didn't have much pre-adaptation and huffed and puffed up the steep trails. However, I was surprised to meet tour groups of elderly French people trotting along the trails like alpine chamois. To emulate them, I've embarked on a new French fitness regime based on drinking more red wine. ---John
Dr. Harout

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

John David Cubit wrote:...I've embarked on a new French fitness regime based on drinking more red wine. ---John[/b]
Nice way to go :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr