Landscape 2014

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Landscape 2014

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:I like the rock in the ocean with the shrine scene Henry but what are the vague speckles around the top of the Torii gate.
I also zoomed in and got a closer view so you can see it here. There is a bird sitting on the left side and there are sprigs of bamboo attached to the top. I should investigate the significance of this because it is common.

Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Ah so, I couldn't see what they were so I had to ask, it didn't jog any memories about having seen any decorations on them before in photos or the gates.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:Ah so, I couldn't see what they were so I had to ask, it didn't jog any memories about having seen any decorations on them before in photos or the gates.
I went through the photos from that day and found one that is more of a close up. This torii with the tori :lol: must be a real pain in the butt to update with new bamboo sprigs. Being a big rock in the ocean it gets blown by winds and pelted with rain so I suppose they have to put new ones up pretty often. Somebody has to go out to it and climb up to the top.

viewfinder
Heirophant

Unread post by viewfinder »

swithland lake sundown longest day love the light and reflection on this :D
Attachments
swithland 5.JPG
swithland 5.JPG (199.51 KiB) Viewed 4306 times
its the photographer who takes the picture not the camera
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Fantastic capture Ray.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Beautiful sunset reflection.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Went to Yellowstone National Park on Monday. There was quite a cloud cover over Yellowstone Lake that morning. Here's Grand Teton and Mt Moran as seen from Lake Butte overlook. 53 miles to Grand Teton (the great pointed one) and 45 to Mt Moran.
_DSC0796 Lightroom pano 1200.jpg
Tetons
(192.98 KiB) Downloaded 1804 times
A view of the cloud cover.
_DSC0797 Lightroom 1200.jpg
Yellowstone Lake under fog
(407.01 KiB) Downloaded 1804 times
Steamboat point trying to rise up out of the fog.
_DSC0798 Lightroom 1200 2.jpg
Steamboat point sticking up through the fog
(459.22 KiB) Downloaded 1804 times
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

the_hefay,
Those are majestic mountains. #2, #3 and #1 is my favorite list

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great picture Ray- that sky is like an oil painting and the reflection is fabulous.

Nice mouton views The Hefay.

Here is a picture from last weekend, shot just after sunrise on the day of the summer solstice (have you notice the nights are drawing in!).

Image2014 Joan's Hill Farm - Sun Through The Trees by Birm, on Flickr

A99 with Minolta 24/2.8 - picked this up very reasonably as I wanted to experiment more at this focal length. I'm very happy with it so far :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
the_hefay
Viceroy

Birma, another nice shot of a meadow.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks, The Hefay :)
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Kalainen »

Birma wrote:Here is a picture from last weekend, shot just after sunrise on the day of the summer solstice (have you notice the nights are drawing in!).

Image2014 Joan's Hill Farm - Sun Through The Trees by Birm, on Flickr
Another great picture from you, Birm! As I've been watching your pictures, Ive been wondering if you have any other use for these great pictures than posting them in the forums. I mean, you certainly have professional level skills when it comes to landscape sceneries and very good pictures. Have you sought to find any other output mediums for them or are just doing this for your own hobby? If it's a own hobby I can surely understand that too - taking pictures to outside world is not really necessary to enjoy photography, and is actually often against it since it takes a lot of time and effort which is out of making beautiful photography. I guess I'm wondering what will one do when they reach the professional quality? Is it kind of like the end of road, because there is nothing to explore anymore, or does one find other objectives? What do you think?

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/109262328@N06/
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Toni, thank you for your kind words :D

I consider it's a journey and I don't feel I'm anywhere near the end yet :) . My only objective is to try and make pictures that represent the natural beauty of the things I see. If along the way I can use my pictures to help the various conservation groups who are helping sustain our natural environment then that would be a bonus. I'm not sure my work is very commercial and so I don't expect to sell it. I may try and enter some photographic competitions as I think this would be another motivation to continue to improve. I consider myself an amateur in that I do it for the love of it :)
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Kalainen »

Birma wrote:Hi Toni, thank you for your kind words :D

I consider it's a journey and I don't feel I'm anywhere near the end yet :) . My only objective is to try and make pictures that represent the natural beauty of the things I see. If along the way I can use my pictures to help the various conservation groups who are helping sustain our natural environment then that would be a bonus. I'm not sure my work is very commercial and so I don't expect to sell it. I may try and enter some photographic competitions as I think this would be another motivation to continue to improve. I consider myself an amateur in that I do it for the love of it :)
Your modesty fits you well and it makes me happy to hear that you find the love of doing it to be reason enough. In lot of ways this kind of relationship could be lost if entered into markets or something similar. I only asked, because I've noticed that there are many very talented photographers taking beautiful photographs, but most of them don't really have 'home' for their work. I was curious if you had figured something out since your recent work seems to be located in single places.

-Toni

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/109262328@N06/
the_hefay
Viceroy

Made another trip back to the badland area. This time it was late in the day with a threatening sky.
Attachments
_DSC1126 Lightroom 1024.jpg
gooseberry badlands
(365.38 KiB) Downloaded 1716 times