Flowers 2014

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

Re: Flowers 2014

Unread post by Almazar80 »

I love all these flower pictures. Here are some pictures, taken yesterday, at Meadowlark Gardens.

and

sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Nice colors. I don't see the color in the second one very often.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I especially like the bee shot, Almazar :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I like the flowers with the bees, some nice work in those especially.
I wasn’t sure about what to say about the artsy ones Birma, the bokeh is great of course with a small part of the image in focus but to say much about art type photos is kinda out of my area, I was going to suggest a digital photo frame in the living room to cycle through a lot of those nice flower shots of yours then you could gauge the reaction of friends to some of the more artistic ones but digital frames seem to have fallen out of fashion of late, finding a good big high resolution one now might be difficult, the biggest I could find in a quick search was 15”so that might mean printing and framing these days which in turn means you hang one up for an extended period and then another which doesn’t have quite the same impact as a continual display.
I think they sort of fell into disuse because they were mostly small and nobody even noticed them because of that, and large ones are expensive, but if they did make big ones that could be wall mounted and at a price that was reasonably affordable I think they could make a comeback.
Greg
sury

Unread post by sury »

These days digital frames gone multipurpose and they are renamed as "smart TVs". :lol:
One can pickup a 32" for just slightly more than one paid for a small digital frame few years
ago. You can get flickr/picasa on them and rotate as you see fit. 8)
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Greg, it is all about trying to capture the impression of the colour and light as you look through and across the flowers. I wonder if photographers are more obsessed with bokeh than non-photographers. I do sometimes run a screen saver on the TV in lounge. I think the red poppy bokeh is the favourite of these types of shots. Not everyone is that fussed about flowers though. Scottish mountains are probably the most popular of my pictures amongst my non-photography friends.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yes Sury, Birma the TV idea is good too but they are heavier and I think consume more power than a digital display but I guess one could be mounted on the living room wall if a suitable one can be found. I read that now they are experimenting with printing display screens with one of those new 3D printers; that sounds interesting, a flexible screen that could be put in an ordinary frame, it would be like having a painting on the wall that can change scenes (except for the cables, those would have to be hidden and I doubt they would be backlit, yes you can get WIFI ones but they still have to be powered somehow). But anyway in order to be noticed a display screen has to be big I think and be in an area that isn’t so well lit, otherwise it just doesn’t stand out very well. Large LED display screens with high resolution and decent viewing angles are still expensive and consume around 400W anyway so the TV idea might be the most cost effective after all
Greg
sury

Unread post by sury »

Greg,
We can wait for OLEDs or use TV only when guests are present or you feel like having a painting. :)
LED TV would consume far less power than a CFL-LCD anyway. But I digress. I will get back to flowers of 2014.

ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

First shots from a77-II

Everything in the life unusual!
sury

Unread post by sury »

First one looked a bit soft but it could be my wine. :lol:
I love the second one.

Sury
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

It's your wine, Sury. :D

The first one focuses on the central blossom also... :)

Very nice shots guys, Almazar80 and ValeryD. The flowers are at their best where you are at the moment.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Lovely flower shots Sury and Valery.

How are you finding the A77 II, Valery. Is this a loan or a keeper? :)

Very nice to see that flower in the line of Avatars as well - good to 'see' you Yildiz :)
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

I bought A77-II, had already play with exhibition copy of a77 about month ago. :) I like the camera and yesterday got the body a77-II.The pictures did to test the auto focus and quality jpg file from the camera. So far Adobe LR does not have a RAW converter for a77-II format. :)
PS. Sury! The first picture small lilac flowers and I focused on the upper left flower. :)
Everything in the life unusual!
viewfinder
Heirophant

Unread post by viewfinder »

foxglove after a shower
Attachments
flowers poopy2 dv-4.JPG
flowers poopy2 dv-4.JPG (172.49 KiB) Viewed 4345 times
its the photographer who takes the picture not the camera
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Lovely foxglove shot, Viewfinder :)