B&W 120 photo using toy camera in 1968

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

B&W 120 photo using toy camera in 1968

Unread post by bakubo »

When I was a kid in 1968 I was given a plastic toy 120 film camera. It was my first camera that was my own. I mostly took photos using it without any film in the camera. Actually, I think I only shot one roll of film with it and that was the B&W roll that came with it. Not too long ago I was going through a box of childhood stuff and found a very old undeveloped roll of 120 B&W film. I got it developed. It was the roll of 120 film I shot in 1968 with the toy camera. Here is one of the photos.

By the way, these days this toy camera is known as the Diana. It looks exactly like the one I had in 1968, but in those days the name wasn't Diana. Unlike now, it wasn't popular with the art crowd. It was just a cheap toy camera for children. These days it is probably made in China, but back then the same camera was probably made somewhere else. Probably in a toy factory in the U.S. Here is info and photos of the Diana camera.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diana_%28camera%29

diana-camera-2.jpg
diana-camera-2.jpg (104.44 KiB) Viewed 51363 times

I wrote some about it and other things here:

http://www.bakubo.com/ramblings.html

Here is one of the photos on that 1968 roll of B&W 120 film. This toy camera with the very simple lens also usually has some light leaks and it doesn't produce a perfectly square exposed area on the negative. The resulting negatives are not what you would expect from a Rolleiflex. :lol: I don't have a 120 film scanner and since the quality of the negatives don't need a high quality scan I just put them on top of my lightbox, used 2 books to hold down the top and bottom negative edges to make the negative flat, and then using the macro mode of my digicam I photographed them. Then in PSE 9 I converted the color negative photos to B&W positives. Of course, with these cameras you don't get or expect sharp results. I used my loupe to examine the negatives and this photograph and conversion of the negative is true. The digicam is properly focused on the negative.

My 2 sisters and the next door neighbor boy in Austin, Texas in 1968:

IMG_0920.jpg
IMG_0920.jpg (169.67 KiB) Viewed 51363 times
Last edited by bakubo on Sun Jul 16, 2023 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mikehawthorne
Grand Caliph

Re: B&W 120 photo using toy camera in 1968

Unread post by mikehawthorne »

hi i saw one (similar) at the since museum in London on sale as an analogue camera.

happy days
mike hawthorne
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Sheesh H a time capsule, if you don’t develop a film for about 40 years it could be like you took it just the other day when you do get it developed, it turned out pretty good too for that amount of time and considering the trinket quality of the camera itself with a shutter that varies between 1/30 and 1/200sec all by itself. :shock: Maybe your sisters would be interested in the photo as well.
Greg
Ps I should have had a hotdog for dinner tonight, I watched the game on TV, Dodgers 3 Diamondbacks 1.
Kalainen
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Kalainen »

Oh this is great!!! You know you can purchase a Diana lens (or Holga or Lensbaby Double Glass) for modern digital cameras as well. With modern sensors they won't look anyhing like that, but it's an option and gives good results to some people.

Would really love to see more of pics. Time makes the picture, doesn't it. :-)

--
Toni Ahvenainen (1976)
Year of the Alpha - 52 Weeks of Sony Alpha Photography: http://www.yearofthealpha.com
Flickr-account: http://www.flickr.com/photos/109262328@N06/
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:Sheesh H a time capsule, if you don’t develop a film for about 40 years it could be like you took it just the other day when you do get it developed, it turned out pretty good too for that amount of time and considering the trinket quality of the camera itself with a shutter that varies between 1/30 and 1/200sec all by itself. :shock: Maybe your sisters would be interested in the photo as well.
Yes, I sent it to them already. The rest of the photos on the roll of film were all taken at the same time. I wish I had taken some on this roll at other times too. I guess I loaded it up and over the course of maybe 30 minutes shot all of them. :) Certainly like opening a time capsule. Darn, 46 years ago. Since it was B&W film I think that helped it stand the ravages of time unprocessed so well.
Greg Beetham wrote: Ps I should have had a hotdog for dinner tonight, I watched the game on TV, Dodgers 3 Diamondbacks 1.
I rarely have one, but occasionally when out someplace I might get one. Been a long time since I had one at a baseball game. I think the last time was actually in Tokyo at Tokyo Dome in 1996 when I took this photo:

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Kalainen wrote:Oh this is great!!! You know you can purchase a Diana lens (or Holga or Lensbaby Double Glass) for modern digital cameras as well. With modern sensors they won't look anyhing like that, but it's an option and gives good results to some people.
It was such a surprise and pleasure to discover this old, unprocessed roll of film. I think I have heard of the lenses or attachments, but never investigated. I suspect there are PS and LR plugins that can do a pretty good job too.
Kalainen wrote: Would really love to see more of pics. Time makes the picture, doesn't it. :-)
I photographed all the negatives, but I haven't worked on the others yet. I sort of like the one I posted the best. It is amazing and sort of staggering to discover 46 year old unprocessed film and then seeing the photos.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Nice shots and the memories. I'll bring some old shots too. It's not from 1968 (I lost my negatives), but from 197x I do have.
Everything in the life unusual!
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I still have some 5 rolls of Ektachrome not developed yet. And I don't see where I can do that here.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Doc there would surely be places in Europe that can process E6 (slide) and C41 (negative film if needed) for you, I’ve been able to find a place in Melbourne that can if I need too, so I’m sure you could get them done up your way…somewhere.
I can also buy the Tetenal chemicals for E6 here http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/prod ... 3#overview if I wanted to resurrect my Jobo drum processor, you might be able to get a second hand Jobo and do them yourself...maybe.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

ValeryD wrote:Nice shots and the memories. I'll bring some old shots too. It's not from 1968 (I lost my negatives), but from 197x I do have.
Yes, please post them.
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Praktica FX2, Agfa 35 mm film, 1974

Praktica FX2, Agfa 35 mm film, 1974

35 mm Film 1978 year Praktica FX2

I hope I didn't break any rules of the community. :)
Last edited by ValeryD on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

A great find Henry. A Fabulous window in time to be able to look back all those years. I wonder if digital media means that pictures like this taken today will last as long?

Very nice pictures from the 70s Valery :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

ValeryD wrote:Praktika F2X, Agfa 35 mm film, 1974
Wonderful old photos!

I don't recall the F2X model and when I searched I couldn't find anything. Do you have a photo of that camera?
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

bakubo wrote:
ValeryD wrote:Praktika F2X, Agfa 35 mm film, 1974
Wonderful old photos!

I don't recall the F2X model and when I searched I couldn't find anything. Do you have a photo of that camera?
Sorry! It's my mistake with typing. :) It's Praktica FX2.

sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Valery,
#3 and #1 are my favorites in that order. Since Henry asked you to post, you have not broken
any rules. Only rule we (always) follow is extending basic courtesy :). That about sums it up. :D

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper