Colors against a black background

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

Colors against a black background

Unread post by Almazar80 »

More flower pictures taken yesterday at Meadowlark Gardens

1. Red on Black

2. Yellow on Black

3. Lavender on a darkened background

Thanks for looking.
Last edited by Almazar80 on Tue Jun 03, 2014 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Colors against a black background

Unread post by sury »

Nice set, Almazar. #3, and #2 are my favorites. The red looks like blown out in #1.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Almazar80
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Almazar80 »

The red is out of focus and a little blown out. I like the contrast against the black background, but it's a picture that begs to be retaken.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

More fabulous flowers. You and the little RX are 'kicking bottom' as we say in the UK, Almazar :D
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I like looking at subjects like that to see how well the digital medium depicts such things, and they are quite dramatic and well taken but I still have my unresolved complaint about red, you can't get a real red red if you know what I mean, you either get a pink toned red or an orange toned red but not a bright red, you can get a slightly burnt red that's kinda brownish but still not what I would call a really bright red, I don't know if anyone else has run across the problem before but I have. Yellows are usually good and greens and blues are not bad either but red is a disaster zone in digital I think.
Nice pix btw.
Greg
sury

Unread post by sury »

Greg,
I made tweaks to my f36 images after your comments in macro thread. I also read somewhere that other than pure red
all other reds are out of gamut and hence the situations you described. One suggested way was to reduce the luminance
(in LR) and that is what I tried and seem to be getting somewhat better results.

Sury
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Sury reds are just plain bad it doesn’t matter what red, if you want to see what I mean take a photo of a bright clean red like Coca-Cola red or QANTAS red something like those will do, or a post office or fire engine red even a bright red rose is good then print it out.
Once printed go put that print next too or on the original subject, you will get a shock at how bad it really is, it might look initially on screen that it’s ok but trust me it’s not its mud. :shock:
Don’t take a red car that is metallic, iridescent, pearl or candy, those won’t reproduce accurately in any photographic system no matter what you do, so just try plain reds, those should at least be within the possibility of it one would think. :roll:
If you try to brighten the red up yourself you will find as I did the system doesn’t have the scope to do it, you will either get an orange effect or a pink effect in the red but you won’t get a bright clean red, try it and you will see what I mean.
Greg
sury

Unread post by sury »

Let me play with it as you suggested and will start a separate
thread. I don't want to hijack Almazar's thread. :lol:

Sury