Oshima in the Seto Inland Sea

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Oshima in the Seto Inland Sea

Unread post by bakubo »

Recently we went on a day trip driving over the Kurushima-Kaikyo Bridge from Shikoku to Oshima (which is one of the islands along this long bridge that connects Shikoku with Honshu. One of the things I did while there was take a boat for an hour to see the famous whirling tides and also to see a place where they do shipbuilding. I've got more of the shipbuilding that I took from the boat, but here a few. Others are on my website in Galleries 2/Japan/Japan 14.

The Atlantic Eagle, as it turned out, was launched that very morning. I didn't know it at the time, but in the evening on the TV news they showed the launching ceremony and it sliding into the bay.

Last edited by bakubo on Fri Jun 20, 2014 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Oshima in the Seto Inland Sea

Unread post by bakubo »

Boat is sitting still. Whirling tides:

Kurushima-Kaikyo Bridge

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Interesting pictures Henry and a side of Japan we don't often see. I wish the UK still made big ships like this. It is a bit crazy being on an island and not making ships!

Love those whirl pools. There is a similar effect between some Scottish Islands which is called 'Corryvreckan'. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... rryvreckan We went on a boat trip through it some years ago but it wasn't 'whirling that day, it was just a a bit 'bouncy' in the boat!
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Interesting pictures Henry and a side of Japan we don't often see. I wish the UK still made big ships like this. It is a bit crazy being on an island and not making ships!
A few days later I saw a somewhat smaller shipbuilding operation in Matsuyama. They were working on a medium size ship (but still quite large). Here are a few more from Oshima:

New ship's propeller still wrapped up for protection

Birma wrote: Love those whirl pools. There is a similar effect between some Scottish Islands which is called 'Corryvreckan'. http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... rryvreckan We went on a boat trip through it some years ago but it wasn't 'whirling that day, it was just a a bit 'bouncy' in the boat!
Yes, that seems like the same thing. They have boat rides all day, but I did some checking and found the best time for that particular day and went out then. In Japan they are called 渦潮 (uzushio).
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I like the ship building shots Henry, and the whirl pools too, I wouldn't like to be in a dingy.
Greg
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Henry,
All I can say is flower in my backyard. :P

Your photos are multidimensional at so many levels, it is just amazing.
Whether it is technique, composition or uniqueness of the subject,
the cultural and geographical diversity you capture and let us share,
the knowledge you impart, they all make for a nice spicy dish to savor
and relish. Even if I visit all the places you do, I am not sure I will be anything
more than a flat lander. :lol: Thank you.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:I like the ship building shots Henry, and the whirl pools too, I wouldn't like to be in a dingy.
Yeah, I wouldn't want to be in a dingy too. :lol: I was in a boat that had seats for about 30 people, but there were only about 8 of us. It was a weekday so not many people around. It was very interesting with the ride around the island and under the bridge. My favorite parts were entering the shipbuilding harbor and the whirling tides, but the whole hour was good. This was at the entrance to that harbor:

Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

I had to get an idea where this Island was so I did a search, it wasn’t all that easy to find there’s a few with the same name but I eventually found the one you were on Henry. The interactive map I found shows all the islands, there must be dozens scattered along that area. http://en.japantravel.com/view/oshima-island I didn’t know there were so many. :shock:
What I would be fascinated with is how they shape those giant steel plates onto the matching curves to fit onto the frames of the ships. If you look at the sweeping curves some reverse curve as well, and they curve in a lateral direction as well as the vertical. When you crane a large heavy curved plate into position it has to fit, and the left ones are a reverse of the right ones. I can imagine large roller presses with adjustable angled rollers but I have no idea how they are controlled with the great 3D precision needed.
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

sury wrote:All I can say is flower in my backyard. :P
Sury, I lived out your way in Silicon Valley for 12 years and since moving away I have been back out to California many times. Of course, it depends on what your photographic interests are, but there are plenty of things other than the flowers in your backyard if you want to seek them out. Being near the coast and Santa Cruz Mountains to the west it is easy to do all kinds of landscape photography, but there is also much more. Along the coast there are places such as Moss Landing and the sort of grungy fishing boat marina. Plenty of beautiful places around and also plenty of work-a-day places. Every place has both. No matter where you go you will find the things that are more famous for tourists, but there are also the places where local people work, make stuff, and play. If you don't want to photograph people then photographing those sorts of places can be very interesting.
sury wrote: Your photos are multidimensional at so many levels, it is just amazing.
Whether it is technique, composition or uniqueness of the subject,
the cultural and geographical diversity you capture and let us share,
the knowledge you impart, they all make for a nice spicy dish to savor
and relish. Even if I visit all the places you do, I am not sure I will be anything
more than a flat lander. :lol: Thank you.
Thank you for the kind words. I like seeing the places where people work. It is harder to get interesting photos in an office environment, if that is where you work, but there are places where people do a more physical type of work, using machinery, etc. and that stuff is sort of fascinating, I think.
Last edited by bakubo on Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:I had to get an idea where this Island was so I did a search, it wasn’t all that easy to find there’s a few with the same name but I eventually found the one you were on Henry. The interactive map I found shows all the islands, there must be dozens scattered along that area. http://en.japantravel.com/view/oshima-island I didn’t know there were so many. :shock:
Thanks for finding that. Yes, the Seto Inland Sea is full of small islands. The Japanese say that the fish caught here are the best in Japan. I think I recall they said it was because the currents are fast and cold.
Greg Beetham wrote: What I would be fascinated with is how they shape those giant steel plates onto the matching curves to fit onto the frames of the ships. If you look at the sweeping curves some reverse curve as well, and they curve in a lateral direction as well as the vertical. When you crane a large heavy curved plate into position it has to fit, and the left ones are a reverse of the right ones. I can imagine large roller presses with adjustable angled rollers but I have no idea how they are controlled with the great 3D precision needed.
While driving around the island I recall passing a big shipbuilding place from the road side. There was a big paved area with absolutely huge shaped steel plates with all kinds of curves. Pieces of a future ship. I wanted to get a photo, but there was a fence and I couldn't really get a good photo from the road.

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Here are a few from Mitsuhama Port. Just a small port with mostly lots of fishing boats. I was there last week with the G15 and again a couple of days ago with the E-M5. Maybe shouldn't put them in this Oshima thread, but I don't feel like starting a new one for these and they are somewhat related to the earlier Oshima shipbuilding photos. These are the first time with the G15.

bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

More Mitsuhama Port from a couple of days ago with the E-M5.

Working on this ship:

Different view of same ship:

Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great shots of all of the boats and boat building, Henry :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Yeah I agree an interesting look at the close involvement that area has with the sea Henry, lots of activity building new ships and fixing old ones. One thing caught my attention in a previous photo, the on or off ramp up in the sky, I’m not totally sure I’d be all that keen to have thousands of tons of concrete and cars a hundred feet above my roof in an earthquake prone zone. :lol:
Greg
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Birma wrote:Great shots of all of the boats and boat building, Henry :)
The second time I went to Mitsuhama Port a couple of days ago I saw that there was a guy with a boat tied up on my side of the channel. It turns out that he gives free rides each way across the channel. A little ferry service. On my side there was a small grocery store and across the channel there was an old neighborhood. I am sure most of his riders are old people who don't drive cars. It would be a long walk from that side going all the way to the end of the channel and then back to the store. I saw him carry a couple of old women across. Anyway, he was a nice guy, in his 40s I guess, and he gave us a ride across. I imagine he spends most of his day just waiting for the rare rider. He joked that if we wanted we could stay on the boat and he would take us back and forth 100 times. :lol: He also said we could buy a bento at the store and bring it back to the boat and eat it as we went back and forth. :lol: The channel isn't wide so it only takes about 3 minutes to cross. We walked around for awhile seeing after crossing to see where some people were working on boats and then about 30 minutes later went back to the water and he gave us a ride back.

Just for grins here are 3 more from Mitsuhama Port.

Sitting all alone:

Two guys working: