Intentional Camera Blur

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Intentional Camera Blur

Unread post by Birma »

I have seen this done before, typically with trees. I was inspired to give it a go last weekend when out in the meadows. There is lots to experiment with in terms of focus, aperture, shutter speed etc. Here are a couple of my favourites. I like the way the colour of the meadow and flowers are given an impressionistic feeling.

Image2014 Joan's Hill Farm - Blurry-graph Meadow 2 by Birm, on Flickr

Image2014 Joan's Hill Farm - Blurry-graph Meadow 3 by Birm, on Flickr

A99 with 70-400 G mk 1
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Intentional Camera Blur

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Keep going.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Very nice and impressionistic. Like them!
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Interesting. I experimented with that awhile back. I need to go back and look at them and see what I think of them now.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks for the encouragement guys, I will certainly give it another try :)
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

I finally found the ones I took. Turns out it was further back than I thought. Mine are pretty pathetic when compared to yours though. :)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Pretty smudges Birma, I was surprised there wasn’t less green than it turned out to be, maybe poppies or bluebells might be worth a try with that technique?
Greg
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Thanks, Greg :) I agree, it would look great on a whole frame of colour. I definitely want to try this again and refine / improve it.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

You can also put the camera on a tripod and with a slow shutter using a zoom lens zoom out while the shutter is timing the exposure, you get a sort of radial smudge effect, and you could move side to side with higher magnification with a slow shutter speed as well. Also there is painting with a flash, you can have the camera on a tripod in a very dark location and walk around out of field with a flash and ‘paint’ bits and pieces with the flash with repeated flashes.
You need a flash that Sony and Minolta stopped making though, one with a built in exposure meter and sensor (Metz) and an ability to set it to the same f-stop and ISO as the camera is using.
Greg
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Those are certainly different. Nice change of creative aproach.

Mark
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Greg Beetham wrote:You can also put the camera on a tripod and with a slow shutter using a zoom lens zoom out while the shutter is timing the exposure, you get a sort of radial smudge effect, and you could move side to side with higher magnification with a slow shutter speed as well. Also there is painting with a flash, you can have the camera on a tripod in a very dark location and walk around out of field with a flash and ‘paint’ bits and pieces with the flash with repeated flashes.
You need a flash that Sony and Minolta stopped making though, one with a built in exposure meter and sensor (Metz) and an ability to set it to the same f-stop and ISO as the camera is using.
Greg
Greg, You can paint with light with the camera in bulb mode (at least 30 sec shutter ) on tripod and paint with light. I have done that couple of years ago and it worked. In fact, I covered my flash light with a facial tissue paper to diffuse the light. Now that I have a intervelometer of sorts, I have a couple of ideas that I want to explore. Stay tuned. Andy is inspiring.

With best regards,
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

sury wrote:
Greg, You can paint with light with the camera in bulb mode (at least 30 sec shutter ) on tripod and paint with light. I have done that couple of years ago and it worked. In fact, I covered my flash light with a facial tissue paper to diffuse the light. Now that I have a intervelometer of sorts, I have a couple of ideas that I want to explore. Stay tuned. Andy is inspiring.

With best regards,
Sury
Yes Sury you need to have the shutter open for that light painting deal and therefore the ambient must be very dark, I saw a photo of a giant cavern maybe 30 years ago done with that technique, it looked pretty good. I remember the time you were did it and I thought they were quite good shots also, I don’t know what flash you were using though, if you use a Metz you can dial it to any kind of exposure you want as it can expose independently, it doesn’t particularly have to agree with the camera.
Greg