Cruise Ships

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Cruise Ships

Unread post by Birma »

Fabulous moment captured, Ossie :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ossie »

sury wrote:The middle one certainly looks like a container ship with that grey looking like a big rectangle. Sury
Sury

Here is an image taken some minutes later as that ship, the Queen Elizabeth, passed by.
_DSC0402-QUEEN ELIZABETH_.jpg
(339.29 KiB) Downloaded 2543 times
A different style of cruising with this super-yacht. She was built in 1938 and recently refurbished.
SHEMARA 2.jpg
(341.25 KiB) Downloaded 2543 times
SHEMARA.jpg
(308.9 KiB) Downloaded 2543 times
Birma,
Birma wrote:Fabulous moment captured, Ossie :)
Thank you

Ossie
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Ossie,
Thank you. Is it me or the QE lacks the grace at the back of the ship? Somehow the lack of symmetry is kind of annoying.
Nice photo by the way. :-)

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ossie »

Sury

Good observation. When they built the QE they modified the design of the stern to accommodate more cabins. Her sister ship the Queen Victoria has a slightly more pleasing appearance.
Cunard Three Queens_.jpg
(429.47 KiB) Downloaded 2530 times
IMHO none of the ships matches the grace, elegance or romance of the original Queen Mary now at Long Beach or Queen Elizabeth which sadly is no more.

Ossie
sury

Unread post by sury »

I agree. These do not evoke the images of an yesteryear ocean liner. QM2 is certainly best of the lot.
Thanks for sharing, Ossie. It certainly has been an enjoyable set.

Sury
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Good comparison Ossie :)
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

As a change from the moving images, here are some stationary cruise ship images, taken last week in Vancouver, British Colombia, while the ship(s) were docked.
Vancouver-4.jpg
(204.25 KiB) Downloaded 2513 times
Vancouver-5.jpg
(241.66 KiB) Downloaded 2513 times

- Tom -
Attachments
Vancouver-6.jpg
(218.5 KiB) Downloaded 2513 times
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ossie »

UrsaMajor

Very nice. I see too where the float plane base is now located. Several years ago before the new terminal was built I spent some time watching the movement of the aircraft as they took off and landed. I tried some video footage but a pile driver started up near to the cruise terminal and drowned out any other sound. Sadly no cruise ships in port when I was in town.

Loved Vancouver .

Ossie
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

I really like the lighting in that first one.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hello UrsaMajor;

A very neat set of three. The first two are especially nicely taken; the evening hours' blue, embedded with the yellow starbursts of the lights in a distorting angle that emphasizes the narrowing of the ship at the stern in the distance, in the first and the daylight washing the curvy architecture of the ship that's slit open horizontally against a very modern urban setting of mere glass facades, in the second, are good close ups. My architecture-trained brain just loved these two shots. I think the timing and the overall compositions are neat. The second ship shot might have enjoyed the first's time period as well, without the distracting dark shadows.

Thanks for sharing.
(The third is a good shot that invites to a cruise ship trip but I think you turned the close ups into neat subjects of focus of attention hence, maybe achieving a little abstraction too.)

Yildiz
UrsaMajor
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by UrsaMajor »

Hello Yildiz,

My objective with the third photo was completely different than with the first two images. With the first two photos I wanted to create images that would be pleasing to me. With the third photo I was trying to capture the "cattle car" (or "container ship") look of these ships, and felt that the sight of them stern to stern would emphasize that appearance.

In case it matters to anyone, the night-time image was taken at 1/60 of a second, f:2.8, and ISO 3200, using an A6000 with a Zeiss 24mm f:1.8 lens.

FWIW, here is an image of the same ship as in the night-time shot, taken about 90 minutes earlier in the evening, while the sun was still up.

- Tom -

Vancouver-8.jpg
"Grand Princess" cruise ship in Vancouver harbor, taken with a Sony A6000 and Zeiss 24mm lens
(202.73 KiB) Downloaded 2487 times
Ossie
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Ossie »

Last week my better half and I spent a few days in Venice. On the day we visited the island of San Giorgio Maggiore three cruise ships came into port. Of course she thought I had planned it but it was just a coincidence................honest :D

Here is one image taken from the top the bell tower.
Oceana.jpg
P & O "Oceana"
(388.28 KiB) Downloaded 2377 times
A77v + Tokina 11-16mm

Ossie
sury

Unread post by sury »

Very nice shot Ossie.

Sury
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Beautiful shot Ossie. :)