A trip in the Andes

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
aster
Tower of Babel

Re: A trip in the Andes

Unread post by aster »

bakubo wrote:Cool photos! Thanks for posting.

Here is some info about blue jeans.

The Origin of Blue Jeans

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smithsoni ... -89612175/
Thank you Henry. : )

Incidentally, I knew the story behind the Levi's Jeans and the mine workers and the need for more durable material and tayloring. Somehow though, I also used to associate the jeans with cattle herders or cowboys since they needed very durable pants while on horseback and in the wilderness. The Duck model with the brown colour giving way to indigo blue-dyed ones seems an original thought though, since almost everyone seem to like blue for its calm and cool. : )

Thanks for the link. Refreshing what I knew and more was good.

Yildiz
the_hefay
Viceroy

Unread post by the_hefay »

Thanks for the link Henry.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

I remember reading somewhere that the word denim came from fabrique de Nimes. The characteristic of that fabric being
its indigo color.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
the_hefay
Viceroy

and indigo came from India, correct?
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

the_hefay wrote:and indigo came from India, correct?

Hi Jeff;
Apparently the plant species Indigofera were cultivated in Peru, India, East Asia and Egypt in antiquity. According to sources the plant was growing in Indus Valley about 5000 years ago and that's how it got its name. In the Indus Valley, the plant was called Nila but Peruvians seem to be one of the earliest people to use the Indigofera plant for dying fabrics and other.

A Good Link On INDIGO

:) Isn't it ironic that I inquired about the jeans that are dyed in Indigo Blue assuming it was more of a Western or modern look and history points us to Peru for the first records of dying with indigo ? Quite a correlation !

Yildiz
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

the_hefay wrote:and indigo came from India, correct?

Hi Jeff;
Apparently the plant species Indigofera were cultivated in Peru, India, East Asia and Egypt in antiquity. According to sources the plant was growing in Indus Valley about 5000 years ago and that's how it got its name. In the Indus Valley, the plant was called Nila but Peruvians seem to be the earliest people to use the Indigofera plant for dying fabrics and other.

A Good Link On INDIGO

:) Isn't it ironic that I inquired about the jeans that are dyed in Indigo Blue assuming it was more of a Western or modern look and history points us to Peru for the first records of dying with indigo ? Quite a correlation !

Yildiz
the_hefay
Viceroy

:)