A recent trip into Colca Canyon

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
the_hefay
Viceroy

A recent trip into Colca Canyon

Unread post by the_hefay »

the_hefay
Viceroy

Re: A recent trip into Colca Canyon

Time to get out and walk since the road had fallen into the canyon up ahead.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Excellent set, Jeff. I presume it is fog in #2 and #4.
You mean walk down in to the canyon?
Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
the_hefay
Viceroy

Yes, it's fog and rain.
No, we walked along the road. The road was out, so we couldn't drive. It literally was sheared off by a landslide. Some of the locals carved out a foot path in the loose mountainside.

sury

Unread post by sury »

Holy macro. That is some trail blazing alright, no pun intended.
Downright scary. Be safe.

Sury
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Nice!
any Condor?
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

sury wrote:Excellent set, Jeff. I presume it is fog in #2 and #4.
You mean walk down in to the canyon?
Sury
It is the end of the rainy season, this year is not that bad in the south of Peru, but the Central Andes and the north of the country is really suffering flooding and landslide :-/
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
the_hefay
Viceroy

One condor flew by real close, but by the time I got my camera back up to my eye, it was gone. I couldn't believe how big it was.

Parts of the country are really having a hard time. Adobe houses are collapsing in the north, people and livestock are caught in flash floods and run-off. People are losing there homes, businesses, and lives. Here in the south it's not quite as bad. However, twice we've lost city water because of landslides filling the river with mud making it impossible to purify. The rain is necessary, but I prefer the sun.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Pako, Jeff,
It is always devastating when these calamities occur. I hope the suffering is not severe.
Are these typical seasonal events or atypical this year? Just curious.

Sury
the_hefay
Viceroy

The landslide that took out the road in the photo above, was caused by a strong rain. The rain created quite a bit of work for us on this trip. Several times we had to clear rocks by hand in order to drive past.

The black line shows the original slope of the rocks. After 1.5 hours of hard work we leveled the top of the pile and built out a ramp on either side in order to get the vehicle past. What you can't see is that there is a large rock under the pile of rock and dirt that determined the height of the pile.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

the_hefay wrote:One condor flew by real close, but by the time I got my camera back up to my eye, it was gone. I couldn't believe how big it was.

Parts of the country are really having a hard time. Adobe houses are collapsing in the north, people and livestock are caught in flash floods and run-off. People are losing there homes, businesses, and lives. Here in the south it's not quite as bad. However, twice we've lost city water because of landslides filling the river with mud making it impossible to purify. The rain is necessary, but I prefer the sun.
My wife is now in Lima, they don't have water at home today...
BTW, I was in Lim last week, I went visit our friend Clemente Higa, with a camera I wanted him to CLA, and I met a french gal that is living/working in Arequipa. She dropped her A7RII in a stream and was trying to get it repair (the estimated was in the 2000 dollars...). Alas, Mr Higa was not able to help her (the parts are expensive)
Pako
------------
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

sury wrote:Pako, Jeff,
It is always devastating when these calamities occur. I hope the suffering is not severe.
Are these typical seasonal events or atypical this year? Just curious.

Sury
This is a bad year. It usually happens on El Niño years, but El Niño was last year, so I guess this are the left overs, and are hitting the north of the country badly. I don't remember this amount of rain since the early 80's.
Pako
------------
the_hefay
Viceroy

Sury, there's always a rainy season, with a few incidents, but like Pako said, "This is a bad year," especially in the central to north parts.
sury

Unread post by sury »

Pako, I hope the water situation is resolved by now. I am all too familiar with having water for 1 hour a day,
while growing up in India.

Jeff, so you guys have decided to clear path for your sake and others, I take it. So any other group
would have done the similar thing? Is that the way of life? I am impressed by the extra length or depth
you guys are going to clear an obstacle. All of a sudden, slow AF focus on my camera does not seem to
matter. :)

Sury
the_hefay
Viceroy

:D When it's the only road in and out, you do what you gotta do. We weren't going home without passing those rock slides. Everyone does there part. Anyone else in a vehicle would've done something similar. There was a bull dozer parked above and one parked below. I'm sure that by know the boulders have been pushed off the road.