Helping Friends with Short Art Films

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Re: Helping Friends with Short Art Films

Unread post by smulnik »

aster wrote:.

Hi Smulnik; :)

Must say that I find the work that's going on these captures very interesting as I love everything about movie-making. :)

Thank you for sharing your exciting experience. Maybe you'll share the final product of all the hard work as well? :D

Yildiz
Thanks Yildiz! I know that these kinds of photos don’t appeal to everyone, but I hope that some members might find them interesting.

Even though this movie will only be about 20 minutes long, the final editing will take some time (lots of different “takes” to review and piece together). Then the director will spend the next year or two submitting it to independent film festivals. Since most film festivals will not accept movies that have been posted on social media it will probably be 2 years before it gets uploaded to YouTube. But I will share a link to the video as soon as it’s possible.

In the meantime, if you (or anyone else) are interested, below is a link to a 3 minute video that was made in order to raise money for renting the lights for the internal mine scene, and for feeding the dancers/actors on site. Since it’s a fund raising video, the director and cinematographer talk about their concepts of the movie. They don’t give any technical information.

Also, the fund raiser is over, so don’t send any money. :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWqOCDNo2VM

Thanks again!
Sig
A7 III - A99 - NEX 7 - A900 - A100 - RX100 IV
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Smulnik; : )

We'd love to see the outcome/final product of this beautiful yet arduous work. Everyone participating are very talented. :D

Thanks for sharing the small movie created for fundraising; explains a lot while showcasing some of the dancers' skills and graceful dance moves.

Good luck with the project for the next few years, then ... :)

Yildiz
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

aster wrote: Good luck with the project for the next few years, then ... :)
Thanks!

I think I read in an old thread that you were making movies. Are you still doing that?

Sig
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

Here are some photos from the night scene in the cemetery (Ashlock visiting his wife’s grave). This scene was shot last winter over two weekends. The temperature was below freezing, and the one actor in this scene had to spend every night in the cold without a coat. Poor guy.

There were only four of us out in the middle of the big old dark cold cemetery throughout the night. I’m not going to lie… after the sun went down, it got creepy! I was always looking over my shoulder into the darkness to see if anyone/anything was lurking behind the tombstones. :shock:

Lining up the shot to get the correct angle on the headstones.
DSC06477.jpg
(243.29 KiB) Downloaded 3426 times
We spent about 3 hours moving the lights around in order to get the correct illumination on the headstones while trying to avoid creating crisscrossing shadows. (Blue gels on the lights to simulate moonlight.)
DSC04007.jpg
(232.88 KiB) Downloaded 3426 times
Practicing the pace and pattern of the walk through the cemetery.
DSC04193.jpg
(245.91 KiB) Downloaded 3426 times
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

Getting the first shot of the night.
DSC04061.jpg
(247.81 KiB) Downloaded 3426 times
Reviewing the footage (checking lighting, angle, and speed of camera movement).
DSC04028.jpg
(237.39 KiB) Downloaded 3426 times
Setting up another angle of the same scene.
DSC04146.jpg
(247.49 KiB) Downloaded 3426 times
Hope you find these interesting. :)
Sig
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

I not a fan of a cemetery, but night shots done very good.
Everything in the life unusual!
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

ValeryD wrote:I not a fan of a cemetery, but night shots done very good.
Thanks Valery! I’m not a fan of cemeteries either! I was glad when we were finished at that location.

Sig
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

One last shot before the "snow" scene.
DSC04265.jpg
(181.62 KiB) Downloaded 3373 times
We waited all winter long for the weather to bring us snow so that we could shoot the cemetery scene. But by March we still did not get any snow, so the director decided to use a combination of fake snow and 2 snow machines mounted on two 18 foot long poles to get the shots. The snow machine in this photo was mounted about 12 foot up the pole. The other snow machine on the second pole was mounted at 18 foot. Each pole and machine weighed about 200 lbs total. It took all of us to raise the poles to an upright position.
DSC06379.jpg
(245.13 KiB) Downloaded 3373 times
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

Prior to starting the snow machines, we covered the actor with fake snow which we had premixed in buckets. It was water-based, so he did not enjoy having that on him in the freezing weather.
DSC06447.jpg
(234.57 KiB) Downloaded 3374 times
This is with both snow machines running. We had to strategically place the snow machines so that the wind would blow the falling snow into the shot.
DSC06435.jpg
(244.98 KiB) Downloaded 3374 times
When we were all done shooting the scene, and had started loading up all of the equipment, it started snowing for real. We had blizzard-like conditions. If only we had known. :lol:
DSC03990.jpg
(245.08 KiB) Downloaded 3374 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Good to see some drama and behind-the-scenes coverage, Smulnik ! :D

All nicely taken, but personally I wouldn't be as relaxed in a cemetery. :) Thankfully I'm not there.

Good work! Good luck to everyone.

Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

smulnik wrote:Here are some photos from the night scene in the cemetery (Ashlock visiting his wife’s grave). This scene was shot last winter over two weekends. The temperature was below freezing, and the one actor in this scene had to spend every night in the cold without a coat. Poor guy.

There were only four of us out in the middle of the big old dark cold cemetery throughout the night. I’m not going to lie… after the sun went down, it got creepy! I was always looking over my shoulder into the darkness to see if anyone/anything was lurking behind the tombstones. :shock:

Lining up the shot to get the correct angle on the headstones.
DSC06477.jpg
Smulnik,

Looking at the shot of the mausoleum on the hill and the crypt in the foreground, this looks a lot like Valhalla, where my family is buried.

Were you filming in my back yard?

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

Dusty wrote: Looking at the shot of the mausoleum on the hill and the crypt in the foreground, this looks a lot like Valhalla, where my family is buried.

Were you filming in my back yard?

Dusty
Wow... very observant! Yes, we were at the Valhalla cemetery on St. Charles Rock Road. We were there for 3 nights.
We saw a lot of old and interesting family plots there. Which section is your family in? I may have to go back and make a social visit.

Sig
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Smulnik knowing and have met quite a few choreogrphers I find your work really fasinating. I looking forward to seeing this production in the future. More of your work, as you do them proud. Thank you so much for sharing. D A
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

smulnik wrote: Wow... very observant! Yes, we were at the Valhalla cemetery on St. Charles Rock Road. We were there for 3 nights.
We saw a lot of old and interesting family plots there. Which section is your family in? I may have to go back and make a social visit.

Sig
Sig,

Most of my family is to the left of the main mausoleum in the section with the large red column, close to the road. Grandma, Grandpa, uncles and aunts. Most died in February and it was a family joke that if we lived thru Feb we were going to make it another year.

My son is buried to the left of the main mausoleum but in front of the line forming it's front.

I was also there last month for the funeral of one of of church members.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

Dusty wrote:Most of my family is to the left of the main mausoleum in the section with the large red column, close to the road. Grandma, Grandpa, uncles and aunts. Most died in February and it was a family joke that if we lived thru Feb we were going to make it another year.

My son is buried to the left of the main mausoleum but in front of the line forming it's front.
Dusty,
I’m so sorry to hear about your son. My condolences.
I intend to visit the cemetery once the weather gets a little warmer. I’ll be sure to make the rounds.
Sig