A Giselle Weekend

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
smulnik
Grand Caliph

A Giselle Weekend

Unread post by smulnik »

The St. Louis Ballet's production of Giselle opened last night (Friday). I've got a bit-part with no dancing, just walking around on stage in costume. The young guys have to all of the hard dancing this time around. :D Here are a few shots from the technical/spacing rehearsals on Thursday. I usually keep my A99 backstage and grab it to take shots when I'm not needed on stage, but for this production I thought that I'd give my RX100IV a try. The A99 definitely provides better quality but the RX100IV is a lot easier to use because I can keep it in the pocket of my sweat pants while moving around on stage... and the other dancers don't get so easily distracted by it.
Sig

RX100IV
DSC07629.jpg
(245.94 KiB) Downloaded 2830 times
I took this shot as a panorama with the RX100IV being held vertically in the "portrait" position so that I could capture the full height of the stage. It kind of looks like I used a fish-eye lens.
RX100IV
DSC07627.jpg
(241.07 KiB) Downloaded 2830 times
RX100IV
DSC07382.jpg
(244.76 KiB) Downloaded 2830 times
A7 III - A99 - NEX 7 - A900 - A100 - RX100 IV
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Re: A Giselle Weekend

Unread post by smulnik »

RX100IV
DSC07587.jpg
(241.3 KiB) Downloaded 2830 times
RX100IV
DSC07544.jpg
(239.23 KiB) Downloaded 2830 times
RX100IV
DSC07505.jpg
(244.88 KiB) Downloaded 2830 times
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Excellent set Sig.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

Very good!
Everything in the life unusual!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi Smulnik; :)

Been a while since I saw Giselle staged or during rehearsals...

Good to see the action and reminisce. You never told us you were a dancer as well as a photographer too which is neat.

Lovely shots.

Thanks for sharing. :D

Yildiz
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

Thanks guys!
aster wrote: You never told us you were a dancer as well as a photographer too which is neat.
Thanks! Actually, I'm an old washed-up dancer. :lol: I guess you can say that I'm in the Ballet Reserves. I get called-up to do the big classical productions which have choreographies that require a lot of bodies to fill the stage. It's nice to get back on stage from time to time, but secretly I would rather skip the dancing, and instead take photos of the other dancers. :D

Here are a couple more shots of the stage before the sets, drops, and props get positioned for opening night. These are panoramas taken with the A99 & 24-70 ZA held vertically in portrait while sweeping from left to right.
Sig

A99, 24-70 ZA, portrait panorama (left to right).
DSC09854.jpg
(240.84 KiB) Downloaded 2796 times
One of our stage hands, Marshall, is re-taping sections of the marley dance floor, and Lauren is walking through some of her dances.
A99, 24-70 ZA, portrait panorama (left to right).
DSC09848.jpg
(248.94 KiB) Downloaded 2796 times
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

Just a few backstage shots of the Wilis doing their thing.
Sig

RX100IV
DSC07735.jpg
(245.76 KiB) Downloaded 2783 times
RX100IV
DSC07826.jpg
(165.8 KiB) Downloaded 2783 times
RX100IV
DSC07997.jpg
(238.49 KiB) Downloaded 2783 times
ValeryD
Viceroy

Unread post by ValeryD »

:)
Nice
Everything in the life unusual!
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

:D Absolutely gorgeous, Smulnik !

The suspense and the quiet before they are all engulfed by the lime lights and all rise on their pointe satin ballet shoes... They remind me of Degas's or Guan Zeju's ballerina/ballet paintings of the last century. The ambient light and the way they are lined up in their costumes are so similar. :)

Thanks for sharing, nicely shot. You are really doing justice to your friends' beauty and talent. :D

Yildiz
Last edited by aster on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Still surprised by how good the RX100 MkIV back illuminated CMOS is. To keep up to date with other systems, I've switched from APS-C Sony to Olympus (and may not ever go back to APS-C Sony, only full frame - that's another story). Good though the Olympus 20 megapixel sensor is, when I do high ISO and general sharpness tests against the similar pixel count Sony 1" I am fairly sure there is little difference. I regularly use my RX100 MkIV at ISO 1600 with almost noise-free results.

Great shots from backstage, Degas did use a camera (one of the first rollfilm rather than plate, I believe) and it's one reason for the distinctive poses, perspective and apparent intrusions or random cropping in his paintings. At the time painters normally tried to contain and frame every element and would never draw just part of a figure - if you go back a bit further, it's funny to see how street scenes which in a photograph would have had half horses, half people and other stuff round the edges often had everything 'whole' and neatly inside the 'crop'! So, work in a great tradition.

David
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by jbtaylor »

1 and 2 in your last post are excellent images.
Bravo.
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

Thanks Yildiz, Valerie, & JT!
aster wrote: The suspense and the quiet before they are all engulfed by the lime lights and all rise on their pointy satin ballet shoes... They remind me of paintings by Degas's or Guan Zeju's ballerina/ballet paintings of the last century.
Yes, the backstage experience during a ballet is very picturesque. It's one place that I can easily get totally absorbed in photography. However, it's not always quiet. When the ladies are exiting in one wing and then running in those pointe shoes to another wing for their next entrance, they sound like a pack of horses trotting across a cobblestone road. :)
Sig
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

David Kilpatrick wrote: Great shots from backstage, Degas did use a camera (one of the first rollfilm rather than plate, I believe) and it's one reason for the distinctive poses, perspective and apparent intrusions or random cropping in his paintings.
Thanks David!
I didn't realize that Degas used a camera. That's intriguing. Now I can't un-see it in his paintings. :)
The RX100IV worked better than I thought it would, especially since a lot of Act II had very dim lighting on stage and nothing but stray light backstage. I did limit the ISO to 1600, so I had to boost the mid-level brightness in post processing in the first two photos of my last post because the light on the romantic tutus backstage was almost non-existant. The tutus were barely visible.
Sig
smulnik
Grand Caliph

Unread post by smulnik »

One more shot of the Wilis. They're just kicking back until it's time for their next entrance. :)
RX100IV
DSC07974.jpg
(247.59 KiB) Downloaded 2716 times
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

smulnik wrote:Thanks Yildiz, Valerie, & JT!

Yes, the backstage experience during a ballet is very picturesque. It's one place that I can easily get totally absorbed in photography. However, it's not always quiet. When the ladies are exiting in one wing and then running in those pointe shoes to another wing for their next entrance, they sound like a pack of horses trotting across a cobblestone road. :)
Sig

Hi Sig; :)

Thank you for sharing more of the backstage. They look neat kicking back. : )

About the "quite" and the way ladies "sounded" when entering and exiting the stage; I know that everything gets a bit louder than should on those old wooden boards. Sometimes the "trot" is even heard by the audience over the orchestra playing and can be distracting for the audience. :) But that's all part of being there as a live audience at a live performance, until better stage floor materials are introduced which may dampen things down a bit as well as easing the loads on the dancers' knee and ankle joints and bones.
I truly enjoyed these shots, thanks.

-------------------------------------------------
David Kilpatrick wrote:Still surprised by how good the RX100 MkIV back illuminated CMOS is. To keep up to date with other systems, I've switched from APS-C Sony to Olympus (and may not ever go back to APS-C Sony, only full frame - that's another story). Good though the Olympus 20 megapixel sensor is, when I do high ISO and general sharpness tests against the similar pixel count Sony 1" I am fairly sure there is little difference. I regularly use my RX100 MkIV at ISO 1600 with almost noise-free results.

Great shots from backstage, Degas did use a camera (one of the first rollfilm rather than plate, I believe) and it's one reason for the distinctive poses, perspective and apparent intrusions or random cropping in his paintings. At the time painters normally tried to contain and frame every element and would never draw just part of a figure - if you go back a bit further, it's funny to see how street scenes which in a photograph would have had half horses, half people and other stuff round the edges often had everything 'whole' and neatly inside the 'crop'! So, work in a great tradition.

David

Hi David; :)

Very enlightening! I had a closer look at Degas's paintings and read some more on his work; he indeed painted as would a photographer shoot, it appears. Interesting.

Praise for the RX100 MkIV comes at a time when I was looking for a smaller camera that can do the job of a DSLR. : ) I like this camera but I have lenses that I can use, so maybe the chances of a Sony A6000 or higher is better.

Thanks for the info,

Yildiz