After the Storm

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

After the Storm

Unread post by jbtaylor »

One cannot visit the Florida Keys without feeling the impact of Hurricane Irma. Debris is placed in front of houses,formed in piles on the side of the road, and staged for processing in centrally located areas.

Just minutes from the home where I stayed is a refrigerator graveyard. It processes units that have been transported from the lower keys. They are crushed and bundled then shipped to recycling centers.

The same process plays out for boats but they have to be hauled out one at a time. Some are harder to move than others.

The logistics involved in removing this debris is mind boggling. There is plenty of work for everyone. The trailer park in the background was full at one time. Now it is a ghost town. It will be years before the recovery is complete.

aster
Tower of Babel

Re: After the Storm

Unread post by aster »

Hi JBTaylor;

Hurricane Irma was a very devastating one, although Florida is an ever-exposed region/coastal zone to all sorts of ocean-originating harsh weather conditions, Irma really caused a stir around the World too. A true testament to Climate Change/Global Warming only akin to gigantic cracks in Antarctica's ice mass that we witnessed around the same time. Signals of serious damage done by the arrogance, negligence, ignorance and selfishness of human beings.

Although will not directly help Global Climate Change, it's good to see that the region's people and livelihoods are recovering and the damaged are being processed for future utilizations.

Thanks for showing us how unpredictably devastation hits the human life and heart with your relevant photos. Hard to be prepared for some disasters of this scale but hopefully the right lessons are learned and the experience will shed a light in dealing with future hurricanes or similar situations.

Yildiz
jbtaylor

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Interesting comment. Not one person that I spoke to in Florida mentioned climate change. Who among us knows why these folks are focused on other things. I wish I knew the answers to these questions.
The question of Antarctica's ice mass is hotly debated. Same for the Arctic. I only wanted to show the effects of a natural event on the people sitting in the path of a devastating storm.

aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Well, I suppose when the disaster hits the initial response is to find relief, healthcare, get the government involved for the recovery and restoration and try to restore the life standards prevalent before the hurricane... the Global Warming or Climate Change debates and discussions probably will wait until an election or will be pursued after a scientifically proven new evidence forces people for more awareness.
And of course, Florida is a beautiful peninsula which enjoys more of a leisure resort kind of lifestyle; Global Warming may not be their priority at all, while maybe it actually should be... Living there is accepting the rules of the region: a hurricane/cyclone/flood-prone region.. :)

Good coverage. Thanks for sharing,

Yildiz
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Amazed at the devastation. Not withstanding the reasons, the fury of Nature is mind boggling.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

A little late to the table, but Irma was the reason my kid's vacation of a lifetime to Disney World was cut short a few days.

We left the day before it hit.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).