Ruffled Feathers

Show everyone the latest shots which make you feel dead chuffed with your camera choice
Forum rules
No more than three images or three external links allowed in any post or reply. Please trim quotations and do not include images in quotes unless essential.
jbtaylor
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Ruffled Feathers

Unread post by jbtaylor »

Ruffled Feathers is a bird sanctuary in a shopping mall in Hanover, PA. Odd place for it but it's just a large room with many large cages for exotic birds that have been through tough times. Some were abused and some outlived their owners and could not find a home. These birds are highly intelligent and require lots of attention. Every bird talks to you when you walk by. One can only feel bad for these little (and not so little) guys. They just want to be friends.
Lighting conditions were a bit tough so I had to shoot narrow. I used the a99 along with the Sigma 24-105 f4.0 and the Sony 70-200 f2.8.

Near miss but I like the composition.
sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Ruffled Feathers

Unread post by sury »

Nice shots JB. Especially the last one
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
jbtaylor

Thanks Sury.
A few more.
JT

sury
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by sury »

Thank you JB for the additional delights.
The fourth one looks almost like a stuffed bird.

Sury
Minimize avoidable sufferings - Sir Karl Popper
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi JBTaylor;

To be in a sanctuary for birds must be proof that there was suffering but your compositions show them as champions of most vivid colours and life. I enjoyed all your frames. Pretty emotional set. :)

Thanks for sharing,
Yildiz
jbtaylor

Check the bird in image 2 in post #2. Clearly this bird was self mutilating. Having new friends willing to interact/groom allows the healing to take place. I have other images that I thought should not be posted. Birds with one eye or others that have plucked their breasts bare were heart wrenching to see in person and posting images of their suffering was in my opinion not appropriate. Even after all that, these creatures wanted to interact. They called to me, reached out to grab my shirt to pull me close. It was an emotional visit. I will go back.