Hello from East Sussex....

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
Smiffy

Hello from East Sussex....

Unread post by Smiffy »

Hi all
my name is Rob, and I purchased my first DSLR (Alpha 200) about 3 months ago after a few years with compact/bridge cameras. The things that drew me to the A200 were it's attractive entry level price compared to other makes, together with all of the good reviews I read about it.
I purchased the camera with the 18-70mm kit lens, initial impressions were that the lens was a bit of a "let down" but after experimenting with various settings have found it to be perfectly adequate and capable of some very good results. This didn't stop me getting lens fever though, and over the past few months have added various other pieces of glass to my equipment list...much to my wifes dismay!
After reading various reviews I decided to purchase the Sigma 17-70mm f2.8-4.5 DC MACRO as an alternative to the kit lens, and this sits on my camera most of the time. I am very happy with the results I get from this. The kit lens will stay as a back up though because they fetch peanuts second hand, but as I say it is capable of good results given time.
I have also managed to track down mint examples of both the Minolta 50mm f1.7 and the 70-210 f4 "Beercan" the latter of which I haven't really had much time to play with as work commitments mean I don't get as much time for togging as I'd like. I have taken just a few "snaps" with it so far, but my initial impressions are very positive. The 50mm is a gem, and I use it around the house quite a lot for portraits of the kids, pets etc. I went to a family wedding a few weeks ago, and it came in really handy for shots inside the church.
When I purchased the Beercan, the guy that sold it me kindly included a mint Minolta 35-70mm f4 macro which he didn't use very much. A nice gesture! This wasn't a lens that I was actively looking for, as I have that range covered by both the kit and Sigma lenses, but I gratefully accepted his kind offer. I fitted it to the camera just to test it out, make sure it was working, and to be honest the little fella has blown me away! Brilliant picture quality and colours to die for! I certainly didn't expect this sort of performance from a lens that nobody really wants, but to be honest it gives the Sigma a real run for it's money and despite it's odd focal range it would have been a worthy replacement for the 18-70 had I not already purchased the Sigma.
Well that's a little about me, I'm now going to spend some time cruising the site, as it looks as though there is a lot of useful information and helpful advice that I can pick up.
Thanks for reading
Rob
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Re: Hello from East Sussex....

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

You're welcome Rob. Good to have you with us. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Hello from East Sussex....

Unread post by Birma »

Welcome Rob - you have a very similar line up in glass to me. I have been really pleased with the 50/1.7, 70-210/4 and 35-70/4. I think us Sony new-boys are very lucky to have the heritage Minolta glass available on the secondhand market. What a scoop to get the 35-70 thrown in! It is a very interesting site and forum right now and so you join when there is a wealth of information to savour.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.