Another member in Leeds

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
AndyG
Acolyte

Another member in Leeds

Unread post by AndyG »

In fact born here and eventually returned via Cambridge, Edinburgh and Huddersfield!

I've been using Minoltas since getting an XD7 in Feb.1979 and continued to accumulate them since. My wife tells me I have too many cameras so occasionally one ends up on eBay.

Definite 'keepers' are my Maxxum7 (the first exciting SLR I've had since the XD7) and my Alpha100 (the only one that could oust the '7', but not just yet!)

Good to see there's still an active user community, both here and on Yahoogroups.

TTFN

AndyG
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The Minolta Club 'Photostore' is now based in Leeds and our stocks of lenses for hire (credit card authority taken for deposit) are based there. Pick up hire lens for weekend in the city centre and no hassle!

David
AndyG
Acolyte

Unread post by AndyG »

That's probably ony 10 min.s walk from work - handy!

AndyG
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

But you do need to be a magazine subscriber - member of the Photoworld Club - before hiring. Anyone can buy small accessories from the Photostore, and Adrian Paul who runs it can also supply Sony stuff - flashguns etc - at good prices, he now is a dealer.

David
AndyG
Acolyte

Unread post by AndyG »

No problem there - continuous membership since nineteen eighty-something (my Minolta club membership no. might give a clue to the exact year for someone who knows how to decode them: 8920087).

Just tried to hire something 300-ish for the A100 to take to Elvington this weekend (Yorkshire Air Show) but my 1st and 2nd choices are unavailable :-(

AndyG
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Have your considered x-200 lens plus 1.4X tele? If Adrian is short of stock, we maybe need to address this by some means.

David
AndyG
Acolyte

Unread post by AndyG »

I'd like to stick with a zoom if at all possible, and the problem there is that my only x-200 is a Tamron 28-200XR. I'd rather not lose an extra stop unless bright sun is guaranteed :-) and I'm not sure about the quality of that combination.

The hire stock 100-300 APO (first choice) is awaiting repair and the 300/4 is out on hire. 200/2.8 & 1.4x is a possibility though...

Cheers,

Andy
Fatamorgana
Acolyte

Unread post by Fatamorgana »

David Kilpatrick wrote:The Minolta Club 'Photostore' is now based in Leeds and our stocks of lenses for hire (credit card authority taken for deposit) are based there. Pick up hire lens for weekend in the city centre and no hassle!

David
Hi guys!
Can you tell me, where is this "Photostore"?
Important for me.
Thanks...
I appear and disappear...
Carlj
Heirophant

Unread post by Carlj »

Hey, cut down on the numbers in Leeds already! Got my missus off to Leeds in a few weeks, with a sidetrip to check out any cheap gear there! :)
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Fatamorgana wrote:
David Kilpatrick wrote:The Minolta Club 'Photostore' is now based in Leeds and our stocks of lenses for hire (credit card authority taken for deposit) are based there. Pick up hire lens for weekend in the city centre and no hassle!

David
Hi guys!
Can you tell me, where is this "Photostore"?
Important for me.
Thanks...
You can call 01132 448 664 - the physical address is 117 The Headrow, but it's an office based mail order business and not open normally to the public. Adrian Paul runs it. It is the Minolta Club's former official accessory and 'stuff' shop, which is now independent. He has a Sony dealer account and can match prices on most Sony Alpha items.

David
AndyG
Acolyte

Unread post by AndyG »

Carlj wrote:Hey, cut down on the numbers in Leeds already! Got my missus off to Leeds in a few weeks, with a sidetrip to check out any cheap gear there! :)
Don't expect any cheap gear in Leeds :-(

Bligh's on North Street are what remains of the s/h outlets and a one word description would be overpriced - then again, they can't really compete with eBay! Aside from them, there are currently three branches of Jessops and no Jacobs (closed and replaced by yetanothertrendyclothesshop - sadly the way many shops in central Leeds are going). Dale Photographic have retreated from Briggate to the Merrion Centre balcony but are still going, majoring on the pro end of the market.

Cheers,

Andy
Fatamorgana
Acolyte

Unread post by Fatamorgana »

Exactly about Bligh's....

Thanks for next info about stores in Leeds Andy.
:) :D
I need to visit Dale(s). :wink:
I appear and disappear...
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The Flash Centre is just moving into new premises where The Right Image used to be (same premises as CC Processing). I do not know the new address yet but they promise to expand into more retail now they have retail type premises.

Chris Whittle who runs TFC is Malc Whittle's son, and Malc was of course Leeds Camera Centre in the Merrion Centre. Chris may yet reincarnate some of the buzz which that had!

David