Another Australian

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Another Australian

Unread post by peterottaway »

I'm Peter Ottaway and am from Northam in Western Australia which was named after Northam in Devon and is some 100 km west of the state capital and only major city of Perth. Which was named by the founding governor James Stirling after Sir George Murray, the Secretary of State for Colonies at the time who just happened to have been born in Perth, Scotland and was the member for Perthshire in the House of Commons.

My first real camera was a Minolta SRT 101 back at university and I still have a KM 370s because I could never bring myself to part with my MF lenses.

Main film cameras are a Dynax 7 and Dynax 60 with the Tokina 20 -35 and 28 - 70 and a Minolta 24 - 105. In digital I have the KM 5D and Sony A700 with the KM 28 - 75 and Sony / CZ 16 - 80. I have owned a number long lenses but none have really stuck for long, so I am hoping that the new Sony 70 - 400 will prove the goods.

Photographic interests are in urban and rural landscape plus I do some local sport and family shots for friends. I do need a good long lens because geographically Northam can be described as where the hills meet the plains,so to the west of town a 20mm lens is a wide angle but to the east a 300mm is a wide angle.

I have a Epson 3800 printer but most of the prints I make are A4 or sometimes A3 with as much white space as actual content.
bonneville
Grand Caliph

Re: Another Australian

Unread post by bonneville »

Welcome Peter. You have made a wise choice to join Photoclubalpha and it is good to see your Minolta pedigree in film.

(My first film SLR was an SRT 100, which I only aquired a couple of months ago :lol: I started in digital a couple of years ago and was curious to give film a go. I shall stick with my alpha 700 though.)

>> I have owned a number long lenses but none have really stuck for long

When you try a SAL 70200 f2.8 G SSM it will stick I can promise you :)
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

bonneville wrote:When you try a SAL 70200 f2.8 G SSM it will stick I can promise you :)
I agree 100% with Brian.
And did I welcome you somewhere else on this forum. Never mind, big big welcome from me too. :D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I have " wear and tear " arthritis in my hands, although in general this does not make for much of a problem with mounting lenses on cameras or on a tripod. But makes it funny to watch me attempting to unseal a pressure sealed glass jar. It also does make me more aware of the weight and balance of a lens.

The 70 - 200 does not have the reach I am looking for without also adding a tele-converter. Which all makes an expensive lens even more expensive.
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Welcome Peterottaway, :D

I hope 70-400 SSM G proves stisfactory for your photography needs. Looking forward to seeing your photos!

Yildiz