Hi from Lincoln, UK

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
Mort Lives
Acolyte

Hi from Lincoln, UK

Unread post by Mort Lives »

recently joined after buying an a300 + 18-55 and 18-250. a300 was my weapon of choice, despite being superceded by a the a230/380 series, (and more recent additions). Took a while to find a new one here in U.K. but finally spotted one looking very lonely on a shelf in my local Jessops; so did a deal for the body + SAL 18250 and added the SAL1855 a couple of days ago. For my needs, (as opposed to my perceived wants), it's a good set-up and I'm really enjoying it. Had forgotten just how much more enjoyable an SLR is vs Pn'S devices...........not that they don't have their place. There are doubtless a thousand reasons why I should have bought an a380/a700/Canikon/Pentasonic or whatever but I have what I need and it's pretty darned good.

Old fella and retired from the oil industry. Love Lincolnshire, having lived all over the country this feels like home, (not quite as good as Lancashire but a lot drier).

Looking forward to participating in this august Forum and brain=picking from time to time.

End of ramble.
If we're descended from monkeys and apes, why do we still have monkeys and apes ?
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Hi from Lincoln, UK

Unread post by Birma »

Welcome Mort! I am sure you will find out all the Alpha mount information you will want here on the forum. I totally agree that a dslr is a lot of fun to use after a P&S - I think it can make you feel a lot more engaged with the photograph you are taking. Congratulations on the new A300 - I'm sure it will serve you well, and the 18-250 has a great reputation as a walk-around lens.

I'm sure we all look forward to seeing some of your pictures - don't be shy :D

P.S. Where is the Doc? He is our resident "welcomer", and normally would have been here first. Hope you're o.k. Doc and just busy.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Welcome to an honorary yellerbelly! It's unusual to own both the kit lens and the 18-250mm, but the performance of the new SAM 18-55 around the 45-55mm range is strikingly good - it doesn't look like a zoom lens image at all, let alone a kit lens. It also has pretty amazing close-up abilities, which do not obstruct the built-in flash.

We were based in Tuxford from 1980 to 1988 and our daughter Ailsa was born in Lincoln, so it became even more familiar when the usual pre- and post- processing of a tiny premature baby meant Shirley had a long stay in Lincoln hospital - with rather good views from the top floor. She is one year older than the Alpha system, but I also remember the test shoot I did for the Minolta 7000 and 35-70mm f/4 AF lens was in and around Lincoln.

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

And a welcome from me too.
Birma, thanks chum. I'm in Beirut right now, and really hope will be back home on Friday-Saturday. (Sorry to steal the thread Mort).
I think you have made a good choice and according to some reviews that 18-55 is a pretty good one. Way better than the old 18-70 they say.
:D
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr