Hi All from the UK

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
190415TK
Acolyte

Hi All from the UK

Unread post by 190415TK »

Hi all,
Just joined after looking around a while, my name is Terry and with my wife Tracey we run a Wedding and Portrait business here in the UK, I'v been a Nikon user all my live ( I'm 57) and have decided to go FF and move to Sony and by March next year hoping to have a couple of A900's or A900 with a A850 as a backup.

So between now and March I will be looking around to pick up a few tip's on what the Sony's can do, best flash, etc.

Regards Terry... 8)
Regards Terry.

TTK. http://www.terrykirton.co
bossel
Viceroy

Re: Hi All from the UK

Unread post by bossel »

Welcome! I am afraid I can't help with flash technique and all that (it'd be rather you helping me :lol: ) but there are some more experienced photographers around here who will be happy to share their experience.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It's the lenses which will make all the difference for wedding work with the A900. The 24-70mm Carl Zeiss SSM would be a logical choice and probably do 90% of your shots. I have not found any other midrange fast zoom which would be likely to hold the sharpness of groups in poor light as well. For the longer end it's well worth considering Sigma's non-OS HSM 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG MkII.

A worthwhile tip with the A900 is to use ISO 320 all the time as it gives optimum results at this setting for some reason or another (best overall balance of dynamic range, sharpness, noise). ISO 100 is useful for synchro-sun (should we ever see the sun again).

Be sure to have your kit all ready for April 29th :-)

David
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote:It's the lenses which will make all the difference for wedding work with the A900. The 24-70mm Carl Zeiss SSM would be a logical choice and probably do 90% of your shots. I have not found any other midrange fast zoom which would be likely to hold the sharpness of groups in poor light as well.
The ZA 24-70 f2.8 is definitely the best zoom lens you can have. But the SAM 28-75 f2.8 is not that far away, quality wise, and it cost half the price of the Zeiss.

Regarding your style as Event/Wedding photographer, a telezoom is not really necessary. The last weddings I did I took only the Konika-Minolta 17-35 f2.8-4; 28-75 or 24-70 (I sold the 28-75 when I got the 24-70) and 100 f2.8 soft focus or the new SAM 85 f2.8, that I like very much because size (it is not as intimidating as any 70-200 f2.8) and image quality.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Hi Terry and welcome.
I will second Pako on the 85/2.8 SAM. It's a very light but great lens. I'm working on a comparison between that lens and the Rokinon (Samyang) 85/1.4
so stay tuned...
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
190415TK
Acolyte

Thank you all for the warm welcome, Dr Harout I will look forward to your findings on these lenses, as I'm just getting over a heart attack and have no wedding photography till April next year I have plenty of time to review camera and lenses before I buy.

So far my mind is made up on a A900 as main body and a A850/A900 as a backup if money stretches that far, Sony Flash, and all lenses I would like to be 1.4/1.8 or 2.8 if poss'.

Thanks to all..
Regards Terry.

Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Get well soon Terry.
It's a right decision to have fast lenses, something I decided long ago, and yet I just bought (today) a 500/8 mirror lens (an old Soviet made one, but in mint condition) with M42 screw mount.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Scooterman
Oligarch

Unread post by Scooterman »

Hi Tel,
How the devil are you and your better half ?
By the way they don't bite over here like the forum we both know :wink:
I have sent you a PM.
Welcome to a very good make of camera and knowing the A-850, and A-900 (my friends) they will do you proud for your line of work and a multidude of very good lenses, old Minolta and the Sony and if you can afford them the Zeiss.
Welcome to an "intelligent" forum.
Best regards
Richard
190415TK
Acolyte

Thank's for the welcome Richard, what a blast from the past :lol:
PM returned
Regards Terry.