Hello from Essex..

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
mark-atkinson
Acolyte

Hello from Essex..

Unread post by mark-atkinson »

Hi,

I'm new to this forum having found it whilst looking for information about my Minolta camera system. I found lots of camera eqipment in the loft while I was clearing it out after my father passed away. I've always loved photography but always used point and shoot compacts and a couple of digitals including a Sony Cybershot. I decided to get the stuff checked out with a view to using them properly.

The equipment included:

Minolta Dynax 9xi + 3 xi lenses (28-80, 28-105, 80-200 and 100-300mm) and Minolta 3500 xi and 5400 xi flash.
Canon T90
Canon A1
Various Canon lenses and accessories including ring and normal flash, wireless controllers etc appropriate to the two cameras.

All the equipment is branded to the cameras and all seems to be top of the range for the time they were originally bought. I had no idea he even had this stuff squirelled away, but I'm pleased that he did. I intend to start using it all on an amateur/hobbyist basis.

Sorry to ramble but thought I'd give some of the background and I hope to post some of the better pictures here for critique.. I hope to visit regularly..

Regards,

Mark
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Hello from Essex..

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Mark - welcome to PCA from me - I'm sure you'll find your time here informative and fun. I can't help with the film gear, but I'm sure that some of the Minolta veterans here will be able to help you out. My understand only goes as far as knowing that 9s were the Minolta top of the range :D .

Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Mark, PCA stands for Photo Club Alpha. I hope you don't mind Birma's love to abbreviation. 8)
And as we compete (Birma and me) to be the first to welcome newbies I here by announce: WTTWF*

*= don't tell Birma, but WTTWF means Welcome to this wonderful forum. :wink:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Welcome, Mark.

If you like the results of the 9xi, you may want to buy a new (or used) Sony digital body to put those lenses on. While digital lack some of the dynamic range of film, I find it so easy - no processing and printing - and their associated costs, and well as so easy to share.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
mark-atkinson
Acolyte

Thank you all for your warm welcome. It seems that the cameras my father left are all pretty much top of the range for their time, or there abouts and it's going to be interesting to see (as a complete novice) what I can get out of them. I agree with you Dusty about the ease of digital, and have seen some really good results from them. I certainly wasn't aware that I could use my Minolta lenses on a digital body, certainly something to think about in the future.

As for abbreviations Birma and the Dr, I work for London Underground and they have far too many to keep up with! I'm looking forward to posting a few pictures soon and maybe getting some feedback/critique from you all.

Once again, thanks..

Mark
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Dr. Harout wrote:Mark, PCA stands for Photo Club Alpha. I hope you don't mind Birma's love to abbreviation. 8)
He he he :D good point Doc. I forget that not everyone is caught up in TLAs as much as they are in the 3 letter IT Corporation for which I work.

Mark, definitely worth considering a dslr to use with your collection of lenses.
mark-atkinson
Acolyte

Birma, I can't say I haven't considered getting a dlsr, pleased to know I can use the minolta lenses tho. Do you have a recommendation for a good dslr to have?
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Mark, it depends what kind of a viewfinder you would prefer (or not mind).
If electronic viewfinder (EVF) is fine then I definitely would suggest the a35 or a55 as a start, or wait a few weeks and go for the a65 and if more serious then a77.
It all depends on: preferences, handling, skills.... etc, and of course the lenses you have.
BTW, could you name some of those lenses?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
mark-atkinson
Acolyte

Doc, the lenses I have with my Minolta are:
Minolta AF 35-80mm
Minolta AF 28-80mm xi
Minolta AF 80-200mm xi
Minolta AF 100-300mm xi

The lenses I have with the Canon(s) are numerous and range from 28mm to a 100-300mm zoom. They are also all Canon lenses FD fit. I'm sure I have a Tamron SP 500mm mirror in there somewhere as well.
mark-atkinson
Acolyte

Oops I forgot to add that I have a Minolta AF 28-105mm xi lens.. Forgot it as it's what I'm using as a 'walking around lens'.
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

Welcome Mark! Looking forward to some images :-)
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I'd suggest having a look at the A35 or A55 in a shop (e.g. Jessops or a Sony Centre) and see how you find the EVF. Try following a moving subject (panning) and moving from dark to light, then compare with a normal optical view finder.

You'll have auto focus on any Sony Axx or Axxx camera with your Minolta lenses. Can't help with the Canon stuff, but I thunk the FDs were manual focus only.
mark-atkinson
Acolyte

Thats good advice Birma, I feel a trip to the Jessops in town is in order tomorrow just for a look see.. Nice to know I can swap the Minolta lenses. You are right in that all the FD lenses are manual focus, I was realy pleasantly surprised when I first used the Dynax, eye start, autofocus... wonderful...