Greetings from Luxembourg!

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Greetings from Luxembourg!

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The dolzaina is also called a dolcina, douzaine and loads of alternative Catalan, Valencian, Alacantan spellings so dulcian is probably a related English spelling but not a similar instrument. It's oboe pitch not bassoon pitch, and although the name may mean soft or sweet, the sound is assertive. But it's sweet compared to a bombarde, they are raucous like the Turkish zurma shown in my still life. The dolzaina is far more controllable. The bombarde and zurma both sound a bit like holding a strip of grass between your thumbs and blowing.

I like to bring instruments back from abroad and these days if it doesn't go into a suitcase, that's impossible as our hand baggage allowance is always fully taken up with photo gear.

David
Jonathan K
Oligarch

Unread post by Jonathan K »

Dr. Harout,

thanks for the tip about pharma concerns... See whom I can sell it to. I might find my picture in the spam folder along with ....Or what do you think about rubber industry ?? :roll:
And you are right: Exif doesn't show... I suppose it has to do with my piddling around with the frames. I'll see if I can find a way that the exif of the image is preserved in the final file. Any tips?

I just took the liberty to have a look at your photoblog: I particularly like the "lovers"... very inspiring.
And your Lebanon pics are very picturesque. I was wondering how you managed to get those minolta-like blue skies out of your A100?

Cheers Jonathan
Please feel free to visit my gallery:

http://picasaweb.google.com/jonathankaell
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Jonathan K wrote:Dr. Harout,

thanks for the tip about pharma concerns... See whom I can sell it to. I might find my picture in the spam folder along with ....Or what do you think about rubber industry ?? :roll:
And you are right: Exif doesn't show... I suppose it has to do with my piddling around with the frames. I'll see if I can find a way that the exif of the image is preserved in the final file. Any tips?

I just took the liberty to have a look at your photoblog: I particularly like the "lovers"... very inspiring.
And your Lebanon pics are very picturesque. I was wondering how you managed to get those minolta-like blue skies out of your A100?

Cheers Jonathan
Hi Jonathan,
One way for the EXIF to show, is not to use "Save for Web" (or is it "Save as Web picture", whatever).
Thanks for the compliments Jonathan, but I'm amazed with your pictures.
As for the A100 shots in Lebanon, I used its kit lens (18-70) and the 50/2.8 Macro. During PP I used RGB and not sRGB, or was it Lebanon's blue sky?
By the way, Lebanon is a great place to visit.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Jonathan K
Oligarch

[/quote]

Hi Jonathan,
One way for the EXIF to show, is not to use "Save for Web" (or is it "Save as Web picture", whatever).
[/quote]

Hi Dr. Harout,

I saved all my pics as regular JPEGs.
I found that in PS it is the lowest layer which defines the EXIF of the final picture. So if I fabricate a nice frame in PS, and put a picture on it, I should copy the whole thing on a resized version of the original pic to keep the EXIF.... :( That is quite a pain.
I will gradually do that (it might take a few days, but since I am on vacation), but first I will see if there is somebody with a more efficient idea.

Thanks for your nice words,
Jonathan
Last edited by Jonathan K on Tue Aug 19, 2008 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

bonneville
Grand Caliph

Unread post by bonneville »

Hi and welcome from me too. A bit late in the day looking at all the postings so far, but I have had a brief dip into your site and I like your photographs very much. If this is what you bring to the party then good for all of us :)

Brian
Links to my: Flickr Blog Twitter
Jonathan K
Oligarch

Thanks Brian,
I really appreciate...

Cheers Jonathan