Hej from Sweden

Introduce yourself and meet fellow Photoclubalpha members
Struan Gray

Hej from Sweden

Unread post by Struan Gray »

I have been lurking here for a little while and thought it time to join up and say hello properly.

I am originally from the UK, but I have lived in the south of Sweden for the last twenty years or so. For most of that time I worked in the Physics department of the local university doing various forms of extremely high resolution microscopy, but at present I am trying to make a go of the 'real' world.

My photographic activity splits into two halves. Family snaps with an aging DSLR, which increasingly centre on my children's sports activities, and contemplative landscape studies with MF and LF film, which gets scanned and printed on inkjet. There is some older work on my website, struangray.com, plus an essay collection disguised as a blog which gives some idea of my photographic inspirations.

Degrading eyesight and increasingly fast moving children mean that I am looking to upgrade my current family snaps kit. The exertions of my youth have also come back to haunt me in the form of persistent tendon strains and joint inflammation, so I am tempted to jettision the heavy analogue landscape kit (much as I love it) in favour of one of the high-res full-frame bodies which are now becoming available.

So the A99 is my current object of lust, provided it lives up to its specs. For landscapes I reckon I can live with 4000 good pixels square, even if that won't give me the effortless grace of scanned 4x5 film. I am particularly interested in the EVF's performance in crop mode, as the switch to longer reach with a wider coverage of AF sensors and a retained large viewfinder image will be perfect for my sports images. I'm looking forward to seeing how the technology pans out.

David, I've enjoyed your writing since I discovered your online Photon magazine a while back. I like the insights into practical usability which you provide, and which seem so rare elsewhere in the photographic press. I look forward to contributing to the forum where and when I can.

Struan Gray
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Hej from Sweden

Unread post by Dusty »

Well, welcome aboard, Struan.

DSLRs don't give you the details of LF film, but they DO make it a lot easier to take the pics!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Degrading eyesight is something we all "enjoy" past 40-45, so the EVF comes really helpful there.
Welcome to the forum Struan. I'm glad you made the decision to come on board.
Have a nice surf and do link your photos.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Welcome to the forum! Feel free to post some photos too!
Dr. Harout wrote:Degrading eyesight is something we all "enjoy" past 40-45, so the EVF comes really helpful there.
Yes, so true.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Welcome from me as well Struan - looking forward to hearing about your A99 adventure, and seeing your pics of course :)
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Struan Gray

Unread post by Struan Gray »

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone, and for the reassurance that my decaying body is perfectly normal :-)

I look forward to sharing images, but since I don't have any Sony gear yet it seems a bit impertinent to do so here. At present I'm saving my pennies, juggling wants and needs, and letting the early adopters find the bugs. Sony seems to tick the most boxes right now.

Here are a couple of more recent pics. The work on my website I mentally file as my journeyman phase - it was a conscious attempt to break out of making photographs that looked like everyone else's. These days I am using the compositional and tonal tools I came up with then to illustrate various obsessions I have in landscape history and ecology.

Overgrown inbye, Achnahaird, Scotland

Wet meadow oaks, Linnebjaer, Sweden
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

I like the second one.

And welcome to the forum.

For lens discussion, when you are ready to purchase one, ask question :-).

Regards,

Farnk
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )