Chosing a film camera

Devoted to film use, whether using the older manual Minolta system or AF/Dynax/Maxxum system from 1985 on
daniel1014

Chosing a film camera

Unread post by daniel1014 »

hello everyone!
first off let me say that I've been reading this forum for a long while and it has helped me with a lot of questions I've had over time...

that being said, here's my problem: I've recently entered college to study photography and I couldn't be happier about it, however it seem that we need a film camera and I only own digital (the A700). I'm interested in a camera that's compatible with my Sony lens mount so that money spent on a lens for that camera wont be money flush down the toilet as I don't think I'll be using it much outside off classes...

one last thing, I'm not sure what we'll use the cameras for, so I have to assume we're going to shoot everything from the street of city to models in a studio!
and just in case it's important I live in Portugal, not sure if it's important for stuff like consumer support and what not.

-Daniel-
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Re: Chosing a film camera

Unread post by pakodominguez »

I think the best camera for the A mount is the Maxxum/Dynax 7. The Maxxum/Dynax 5 is a lighter and cheaper option.
Just remember that your "DT" lenses won't work properly on the film camera because the circle of the image is smaller than you frame.
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ianmiddy
Heirophant

Unread post by ianmiddy »

As a [cheaper] alternative to the 7 [maybe about the same price as a 5], how about a 600si - arguably the forerunner of the 7s control philosophy, and if you can get a v/grip for it, that adds a flash-sync port and use of AAs - not quite as solid as the 7, and the AF is less sophisticated [read 'older'] and slower than the 7s, but fine for general use...

...just a thought.

[I use one together with a 5 for film, as the 7 prices are still too high for the amount of use it'd get]

Cheers

IDM
harveyzone
Oligarch

Unread post by harveyzone »

ianmiddy wrote:As a [cheaper] alternative to the 7 [maybe about the same price as a 5], how about a 600si - arguably the forerunner of the 7s control philosophy, and if you can get a v/grip for it, that adds a flash-sync port and use of AAs - not quite as solid as the 7, and the AF is less sophisticated [read 'older'] and slower than the 7s, but fine for general use...

...just a thought.
I agree - I have been after a decent one for low money.
The only down side is that they will not AF SSM lenses, so if you want to use your CZ 24-70 f/2.8 on it you are out of luck. :(
--
Tom
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

harveyzone wrote: I agree - I have been after a decent one for low money.
The only down side is that they will not AF SSM lenses, so if you want to use your CZ 24-70 f/2.8 on it you are out of luck. :(
mmm
I think that, If you own the CZ 24~770 2.8, you can afford a Maxxum 7 or 9!
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
harveyzone
Oligarch

Unread post by harveyzone »

pakodominguez wrote:
harveyzone wrote:The only down side is that they will not AF SSM lenses, so if you want to use your CZ 24-70 f/2.8 on it you are out of luck. :(
mmm
I think that, If you own the CZ 24~770 2.8, you can afford a Maxxum 7 or 9!
Good point. Although If I had just bought a CZ 24-70 f/2.8 then there would be no way I could also afford a 7 or 9. :lol:
--
Tom
alfake
Heirophant

Unread post by alfake »

pakodominguez wrote:
harveyzone wrote:
The only down side is that they will not AF SSM lenses, so if you want to use your CZ 24-70 f/2.8 on it you are out of luck.
mmm
I think that, If you own the CZ 24~70 2.8, you can afford a Maxxum 7 or 9!
The Dynax/Maxxum 9 would also require some modifications before it could be used with SSM lenses: http://www.dyxum.com/columns/other/maxxum9/index.asp. Apparently, to AF with SSM lenses you'll have to get a Dynax 7 or a later Minolta body.
Alfonso
daniel1014

Unread post by daniel1014 »

Thanks for all the answers, they're all very helpful!
and especially for pointing out that detail about the "DT" lens image circle, I totally forgot about that! Guess I'll try to get a half-decent minolta lens and then use it on my A700 :mrgreen:
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

There is only one problem with buying a Minolta film camera now, (as fine as a Dynax7 is) and that is there are only used ones available with unknown usage history.
The thing is, at some point spare parts are going too get scarce, whether we like it or not.

OTOH is see Nikon still have some film SLR's listed.... F6 (also one of the all-time great cameras) $2000 body only...wow ,that's dirt cheap, I think it used to be about $5000 once, also the F100 an F75, and the FM10 is now out of stock, despite it being listed as a best seller.
What is uncertain is, are they still in production ? or is "that it" once all stock has gone.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/269/ ... meras.html

On a brighter note, I see that B&H have Sigmas answer to the Tamron 70-200 2.8 listed as "coming soon", that will most likely be a nice peice of glass..and usefull on any A-mount camera, will definitely have to check that one out.

Sigma
70-200mm f/2.8 II EX DG APO Macro HSM AF Lens for Sony Alpha
Zoom Telephoto more info
Mfr # 579205 B&H # SI7020028SO Availability: New-coming soon Price: $799.00
Calculate Shipping
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/8432 ... +to+Z/pn/2

Greg