Minolta Maxxum 7000 crossed X edition camera

Devoted to film use, whether using the older manual Minolta system or AF/Dynax/Maxxum system from 1985 on
adakshi
Oligarch

Minolta Maxxum 7000 crossed X edition camera

Unread post by adakshi »

Is it any good?

I never shot film SLR, thinking of buying a film AF camera. Can I use Minolta 50 1.7 with this? Any film for shooting landscape/portrait would be helpful as well.

Thanks in advance,
Ayan
Sony A900, A77, SAL-1680Z, SAL-70200G, SAL-135F18Z, SAL-50F14, HVL-58AM
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Minolta Maxxum 7000 crossed X edition camera

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

That was the very first SLR camera with autofocus in the body, and the first of the first batch, at that. The "Crossed X" designation didn't last long as somebody else had claim to a similar treatment of the X's. The Maxxum 50mm f/1.7 was actually this camera's "kit lens," so yes, it will work.

As a collector's item, it may be nice, but there are plenty of better cameras for actual use. The Maxxum 7 and Maxxum 9 are tops, the Maxxum 7 being compatible with KM and Sony "SSM" lenses. The Maxxum 70 or Dynax 60 is a pretty well featured and inexpensive film camera also, having 9 AF points and shooting 3 fps.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I would go for the more modern bodies myself..though some of the earlier ones are ok.

As above sensible prices are really the 60, though not so many about to buy s/h. The film 5 is in plentiful supply, though it's small body wise, might suit some more than others. No point buying a film 4, it's a cut down 5..and not much cheaper. 505si Super..is the model before the 5 but with a nice grip IMO, but is not as well featured. Never really was into the xi series..odd designs IMO, but some like them.
The film 7 is not too expensive, if you want the spec and body controls, it's a wonderful camera..prices on the 9 are probably still to high for some who want to dabble.

My top 3 would be 7, 60, or a 5..
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

adakshi wrote:Is it any good?

I never shot film SLR, thinking of buying a film AF camera.
Note that as this was the first autofocus camera the focus speed will not be as fast as you are used to. It used AAA batteries but you could fit a AA battery holder. Also the flash shoe is not the same as the later cameras.
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

bfitzgerald wrote:I would go for the more modern bodies myself..though some of the earlier ones are ok.

As above sensible prices are really the 60, though not so many about to buy s/h. The film 5 is in plentiful supply, though it's small body wise, might suit some more than others. No point buying a film 4, it's a cut down 5..and not much cheaper. 505si Super..is the model before the 5 but with a nice grip IMO, but is not as well featured. Never really was into the xi series..odd designs IMO, but some like them.
The film 7 is not too expensive, if you want the spec and body controls, it's a wonderful camera..prices on the 9 are probably still to high for some who want to dabble.

My top 3 would be 7, 60, or a 5..
Thanks Bary,

Found one Minolta 7 in Keh in EX cond. ($159))
http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductD ... &GBC=&GCC=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I could have gone e-bay route, but I don't like gambling on an old camera.

Minolta 5 (Ex $43), Am I looking at correct model?
http://www.keh.com/OnLineStore/ProductD ... &GBC=&GCC=" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is another Minolta 5 Date. Is it different than Minolta 5

I found some XI models, what is the difference between XI and non-XI? Probably asking too many questions :)

Please let me know if these prices look good to you.

Thanks
Ayan
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Just a warning: If the prices look good to us, we buy them...and I'm tempted, myself! :)
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
bfitzgerald

Not that many date film 5's about..
I think they also accept the IR remote, as well as the normal minolta cable release.
Those 2 are the correct models, more recent bodies, and well featured as well.

They don't lack much really, bar:
No DMF
No Dioptre Correction
No CW metering

Apart from that you have everything else you would need mostly. 7 point AF is fast and accurate, little difference to 9 point..hardly worth worrying.
The only thing I don't like so much, is the small grip, it really is a compact SLR..which is why I prefer the 60 in terms of handling (even if it does not match the 5 in some spec areas)
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

bfitzgerald wrote:Not that many date film 5's about..
I think they also accept the IR remote, as well as the normal minolta cable release.
Those 2 are the correct models, more recent bodies, and well featured as well.

They don't lack much really, bar:
No DMF
No Dioptre Correction
No CW metering

Apart from that you have everything else you would need mostly. 7 point AF is fast and accurate, little difference to 9 point..hardly worth worrying.
The only thing I don't like so much, is the small grip, it really is a compact SLR..which is why I prefer the 60 in terms of handling (even if it does not match the 5 in some spec areas)
Thanks again Bary,

Do you know if Minolta 5 or 5 Date are SSM compatible.

Thanks
Ayan
bfitzgerald

5 bodies work with SSM lenses.

Everything from the 7 onwards does, even the 4, 3L, 40 etc cheaper models.
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

bfitzgerald wrote:5 bodies work with SSM lenses.

Everything from the 7 onwards does, even the 4, 3L, 40 etc cheaper models.
Thanks again Bary. I got confused with numbering, thought Minolta 5 came before Minolta 7, actually 5,7 just denotes SLR class not time line.

Anyway, your recommendation and after some research, it seemed Minolta 7 is best choice, so ordered one from Keh. Hope I'll get it this week.

Now which film is good for nature? I'd go with ISO 100. I narrowed down to Fuji Reala, Kodak Ektar. For slides Fuji Provia/Velvia. Are these good?

Which film for family shots?

Thanks
Ayan
bfitzgerald

Film is down to taste. For ektar have a look in the neg film section, I posted some samples there. You can get ok skintones, but it's too contrasty IMO, and I would not use it for people shots unless I was in a push. Ektar is saturated, and contrasty, with very fine grain and it's very sharp. Some will like it, some may not.

Velvia is for landscapers, I can't stand the stuff, but if you like even more pump than Ektar..you have found your film! Esp greens are mega off the planet, not my thing..again taste.

Family shots, well you can try portrait films or even the bog standard types of film such as Fuji superia 100 are decent enough..and cheap too.
Don't forget b&w..not much fun to scan..but can yield very nice results. Best bet is to play about, pick a few different films..don't order in loads of one type, just a few rolls, see what you like colours and tones wise.
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

bfitzgerald wrote:Film is down to taste. For ektar have a look in the neg film section, I posted some samples there. You can get ok skintones, but it's too contrasty IMO, and I would not use it for people shots unless I was in a push. Ektar is saturated, and contrasty, with very fine grain and it's very sharp. Some will like it, some may not.

Velvia is for landscapers, I can't stand the stuff, but if you like even more pump than Ektar..you have found your film! Esp greens are mega off the planet, not my thing..again taste.

Family shots, well you can try portrait films or even the bog standard types of film such as Fuji superia 100 are decent enough..and cheap too.
Don't forget b&w..not much fun to scan..but can yield very nice results. Best bet is to play about, pick a few different films..don't order in loads of one type, just a few rolls, see what you like colours and tones wise.
Thanks Bary, I bought a Kodak BW 400 film and I liked the output. But my Minolta 7 gave up on me after 34 exposures. Bad luck. Also, looks like CR123 is quite expensive and hard to find. Looks like Minolta 5 is the way to go. It is cheap and I am not going to shoot day in day out .. probably a couple of slides and some occasional BW. I am looking for its battery grip, it takes AA cells. If grip attached, can it run only on AA?

Thanks
Ayan
bfitzgerald

When you mean the 7 gave up, is it broken..what's wrong with it?
The CR123a batteries are commonly available where I am, as are the Cr2 ones (film 40/60/5/4/3L, 505si etc etc)
Def do not go into a camera shop and buy them, you will get stuffed on price. I found some in a supermarket on special, also check ebay..not sure about the non branded ones, but some decent prices if you look about.

For the film 5, you are looking for a "BP-200" battery pack, not many around europe..but some about in the USA from major sellers, who do s/h stuff.

The BP-200 goes into the battery area, you let the door stay open (the BP has a place for it to drop into), so you cannot run off the CR2 batteries at the same time, just 4 x AA's, don't use lithium AA's (it says this on the bp), but you can use normal or rechargeable ones just fine. Being just AA is fine, it adds weight and size (handles better IMO with the BP), but lasts for ages power wise..100's of rolls no problem.
adakshi
Oligarch

Unread post by adakshi »

bfitzgerald wrote:When you mean the 7 gave up, is it broken..what's wrong with it?
The CR123a batteries are commonly available where I am, as are the Cr2 ones (film 40/60/5/4/3L, 505si etc etc)
Def do not go into a camera shop and buy them, you will get stuffed on price. I found some in a supermarket on special, also check ebay..not sure about the non branded ones, but some decent prices if you look about.

For the film 5, you are looking for a "BP-200" battery pack, not many around europe..but some about in the USA from major sellers, who do s/h stuff.

The BP-200 goes into the battery area, you let the door stay open (the BP has a place for it to drop into), so you cannot run off the CR2 batteries at the same time, just 4 x AA's, don't use lithium AA's (it says this on the bp), but you can use normal or rechargeable ones just fine. Being just AA is fine, it adds weight and size (handles better IMO with the BP), but lasts for ages power wise..100's of rolls no problem.
Thanks Bary. Yes Minolta 7 stopped working all of a sudden. No buttons will work and just a faint glow in the VF LCD. So, I returned. Regarding CR123 and CR2 .. I am not sure if they are available in India, my home. Of course there is no existence of Minolta there and may be no Sony DSLRs. People still use point and shoot film cameras there or cheap digital(Actually they are not cheap in price there), DSLRs are too pricey. So, I doubt I'll get any CR batteries or good films or good printing/scanning facilities.

As long as I am in US, I can experiment with film/slides .. so Minolta 5 (less than $50) looks good. I can write it off when going back to India. it can max be my backup with generic Kodak Gold/Fuji films.

Thanks
Ayan
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

If anyone needs CR123A cells I still have some boxes of 6 for £10 inc post anywhere in the world - p&p being half the cost for some zones. They are dated to expire 2012, and are hanger packed individual cells.

David