Negative problems

Devoted to film use, whether using the older manual Minolta system or AF/Dynax/Maxxum system from 1985 on
Richard T
Acolyte

Negative problems

Unread post by Richard T »

I've dug out my old b & w negs from 20+ years ago to start scanning them in & find that I've presumably not stored them properly as quite a lot have some fungus (?) - something like a spiders web all, or partially over them. Is this something others are aware of and is there a cure ?
If there isn't a cure then the only upside is that I won't have to buy a programme to give them that "distressed" look that seems quite popular !
Hope to hear from you experts out there
Best wishes
Richard T
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Negative problems

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

It may be fungus, or it can be caused by Paterson shellac negative filing sheets. Either way, it can not be removed, and it is not possible to scan it out using ICE or any other form of dust and scratch removal. I have many old films in the same condition and there's nothing which can be done. It is caused by the type of filing sheets sold for films in the 1970s-90s, plus a little atmospheric humidity, and generally plus some pressure putting the film in contact with the sheet.

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Prepare a diluted acetic acid solution (5-6 drops of acetic acid on 350ml of distilled water). Leave the film (better with a film coil for development, or whatever it is called) in it for 3-4 minutes and dry. The acetic acid will dissolve fungi. :idea:
Hope that helps. :roll:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Richard T
Acolyte

Unread post by Richard T »

Thanks David & Dr H
Yes they were in Paterson (or similar) sleeves but not happy to hear the news. I'll try the acetic acid remedy on a poor strip of negs & see what happens - there's no downside ! Won't be for a few days tho' so don't sweat !
Best wishes
RT
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

The acetic acid may dissolve fungi but it won't remove the marks the fungi leave on the gelatine emulsion. If you are lucky, you will clean up the film a bit but the chances are that after 20 years the gelatin has been 'fed' on in thin strands which will still show up. And if it's the Paterson sheet problem, you may need to use an acohol-based cleaner or a film cleaning solution like PEC-12 which can dissolve transferred shellac .

I'll have a go at the next film I find with this problem, and see what can be done. My worst examples are from Kenro and Diana Wyllie filing sheets - very expensive - which adhered to the film like glue.

David
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I have to start sorting out my negatives.

To those who have used archive sheets, what's the best maker? I've seen some Loersch ones on ebay, no idea if they are any good!

I've seen Kenro around, I'll avoid them if they cause problems.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

By far the best, 30+ years on. are the cheap sheets sold by Barfen in the late 70s-80s. They are a sort of hard polythene, not shiny, both sides are matt and do not stick to the film. There is no texture. All my stuff stored in these sheets has survived perfectly. None of the Kenro, DW, Paterson or many of the lab sheets has a perfect record.

David
ianmiddy
Heirophant

Unread post by ianmiddy »

A bit OT, but I mainly remember BarFen for their E6 processing kits [we used to get them from Marston & Heards - remember their AP ads ?] - similarly, the best slides I have from the 70s are those processed at home using those kits - still very good colour and no problems with the actual film structure...

Cheers

IDM
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Same here. I had forgotten Marston & Heard, because they changed name to Barfen UK. They sold reloaded bulk Fuji 100 E6 before Fuji made it available in Britain. Many of my best slides were on their film, and some on their processing kits.

David