Minolta SR users ?

Devoted to film use, whether using the older manual Minolta system or AF/Dynax/Maxxum system from 1985 on
dee
Acolyte

Minolta SR users ?

Unread post by dee »

My best ever SLR was my battered SRT 102 [ USA import ] which is still going strong . This was followed by several SRTs , culminating in a new SRT 101b.

But my fave SR is a humble pre-1965 SR 7v [ the revised version with a body resembling a shorter SRT ] with an external meter . Complemented by a SRs , same body . no meter . Recently I have also '' dee'scovered '' the Leica II [ 1933/4 ] and Russian copies , which revived my love of simple cameras .

I have an SR 3 and earlier SR 7 , but history aside they seem bulky and primitive compared to the Leicas !

I love the SR 7 / SR s for compactness , being able to use any lens , being free of peering for a needle in the finder ,
having to be carefull with metering , [ or use my hand meter ]

I guess it's back to basics simplicity .

Any of you ever try this ?

dee
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Minolta SR users ?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Actually the SR-1 to SR-7 series - and the SRT models - used a shutter mechanism directly copied from Leica, known as a concentric spindle type. This is where the shutter release rod is in the centre of the spool which winds the shutter blinds, so it ends up in the middle of the lever wind. The design was first used in the Leica M, and was copied by Minolta in 1958 when they launched an M-mount rangefinder system at the Brussels Exhibition. Leica took action to prevent this system ever reaching the market. The result of that action was a 20+ year period of technical exchange and co-operation between Leitz and Minolta, and the launch of the SR reflex system with many mechanical and optical enhancements supervised by Leica. Minolta staff used to say that the SR bodies were the first Leicaflex. Any engineer who can work on a Leica M shutter can also work on SR/SRT shutters because of the similarity.

David
xzulx
Acolyte

Re: Minolta SR users ?

Unread post by xzulx »

I have Minolta SRT101 and aiming for Minolta SRT303b in the future :mrgreen: