flash meter IV

Devoted to film use, whether using the older manual Minolta system or AF/Dynax/Maxxum system from 1985 on
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

flash meter IV

Unread post by Javelin »

I had a beat up Autometer 3 before that finally quit on me and today I answered a Craigs ad for a flashmeter IV and i'm pretty impressed with it. I think I'll be able to use this to better expose the pictures I take at work. Those machines are semiglss black and nickel plated everywhere there is no paint. so the images either have stars from the chrome or the panted surfaces look like a black hole. anyway the unti came with a user guide and another book that explains in detail each function with a lot of details and pictures I think would be a good reesource for learning how to light subjects. I only paid 50 for the meter and it's complete in new condition and the spot reflected meter attachment viewfinder from my III works on it and it ccame with one of the pnes with the hole in it but not one with flat white plastic. just the white bulb . I look forward to using it to set up my flashes and lighting .. reflectors ect.

One question though for those that may have used these before. there is a place for a diferent battery inside and in the manual it talks about some sortof communication it could do that this battery was for can anyone say what that was for?

It was used by a pro who left photography after 30 years and a Bsc to boot because of "Digital" I wonder about someone with so much experience and education leaving the trade like that surely a living could still be made for commercial photographers?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: flash meter IV

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

If you fitted a receiver to the 9000AF, the Flashmeter IV was able to transmit the camera settings to the camera, from the meter; and then to fire the camera by IR trigger. Pretty amazing when you think about it. That functionality got lost somewhere.

I didn't know the meter worked at all without both batteries fitted, mine has both. I am missing the flat receptor and the case, since someone who wanted to buy it borrowed it to test, and swore blind it never had the case (with the receptor in the pouch). Since it lived in that case permanently I know it did.

David
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

the one in the pouch on mine was still wrapped in the little plastic bag with a staple holding it closed. it had never been out but it was the one witht he hole in it not the plain white one. i'd never use it anyway as I have the camera to meter with i'll only use it as an incedent meter.
it would be very cool to take your shots while your ... downrange...with the subject and the lights, seems to me it would be even more usefull nowadays since the cameras can do live view or shoot tethered
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

David Kilpatrick wrote: I am missing the flat receptor and the case, since someone who wanted to buy it borrowed it to test, and swore blind it never had the case (with the receptor in the pouch). Since it lived in that case permanently I know it did.

David
Hi David,

You can find the accessories for Minolta flashes under the Kenko brand, like the flat diffuser (www.adorama.com/KNKFM200.html) or the spherical (www.adorama.com/KNKFM200.html) that I had to buy last month as a replacement for the broken one on my Flash-meter III -I totally agreed it is way overpriced.

Regards
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;