on Minolta 7000

Devoted to film use, whether using the older manual Minolta system or AF/Dynax/Maxxum system from 1985 on
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

on Minolta 7000

Unread post by Javelin »

Is this camera supposed to work with the 500mm Reflex lens? or does it need to be a I camera and above?

Been shooting film this week and my X700 blew a shutter cap so I broke out this 7000 that came with a lens I wanted and have been shooting all week to use up the film I have. I tried to shoot a Tom Turkey this morning and fitted the 500reflex for the first time and couldn't get the shutter to release and no AF either so I wonder if it's compatible? Or if the Lens died?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: on Minolta 7000

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The 7000 does not work with 500mm, nor does the 5000. I can't remember whether the 9000 does but I think it might. Everything later than these does.

David
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Guess i'll try and pick up a 7 or 9. Theres one of each for sale near me but i've not been able to get a hold of them. It's been fun shooting film. I haven't gotten the rools developed yet and that will be fun too.

Thanks
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Still going to get the 7 or 9 talked to both parties and wont be able to meet them until nextr weel. I did run across a brand new Max 5 kit NOS in boxes and everything with a 28-100mm lens for 50 bucks so I picked that up last night. intersting camera, well laid out but wish it had 2 dials. the AF seems fast and accurate though and it works on all my lenses including SAM and SSM ones.
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

got a max 7 cheap and am going out for a bit today with it. the exposure comp dial has 2 scales on it. one is in white text the other in orange, any idea what the diference? everthing else is pretty self explanatory

Guess I'd better find a PDF manual for this one :)
harveyzone
Oligarch

Unread post by harveyzone »

Javelin wrote:got a max 7 cheap and am going out for a bit today with it. the exposure comp dial has 2 scales on it. one is in white text the other in orange, any idea what the diference? everthing else is pretty self explanatory
One is in half stops, the other is in 1/3 stops.
Javelin wrote:Guess I'd better find a PDF manual for this one :)
Try here.
--
Tom
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Thanks Tom, I eventually figured it out.... reading the dial was a good start :)

I must say that sure is a fun camera to shoot. I have about a dozen rolls now and will take them for processing later. can't wait to see what I got. The Max 5 was fun to shoot to but control wise it doesn't hold a candle to the 7.

The "brightness distribution display" is a fascinating thing to play wiht I wish my A700 had this maybe even instead of the histogram. Imagine it with all the detail you can get on the A700's LCD you could really tune the exposures and add in DRO to the mix and maybe pick what to expose what area of the scene to ...
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

I just paid almost $13 on e-bay for a pristine 7000 that I bought the day before the tornado. It also came with a pristine LONG Minolta remote cord! I gave the camera away to a friend with a dying 9000. Kept the cord, of course. That was the only reason to buy it!

Dusty