Nikon D90 video and my best guitar

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Nikon D90 video and my best guitar

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I guess this world-class Lowden (the first of it size, wood types, design type and customisation ever made in George Lowden's new workshop) is about equal to an A900+24-70mm in cost, and sadly, it will have to be sold - along with many other things - with all the problems which have hit us in the last week. So, I used the Nikon D90 HD 720p video to film myself noodling a bit. The built-in mono mic is pretty impressive, I think.

As far as I know, no-one has done this beforee:

http://www.viddyou.com/viddstream?videoid=43290

Click the icon at the right hand end of the bar below the video, to get full screen up to 720p (1280 x 720).

This is their embedded UIRL - interesting to see if it works:

<object width="416" height="234"><param name="allowfullscreen" value="true" /><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://www.viddyou.com/get/v2_full/43290.swf" /><embed src="http://www.viddyou.com/get/v2_full/43290.swf" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="416" height="234"></embed></object>

I've done regular lo-res YouTube things in the past, but HD video in line is an entirely new thing. It took a lot of work to get the compressed size down to be acceptable on this site, which I registered for today.

David
Winston
Grand Caliph

Re: Nikon D90 video and my best guitar

Unread post by Winston »

I expected a pretty good quality image. What surprised me was the quality of the sound. Thanks for sharing.
Winston Mitchell
KM7D, A700, A77, A77M2, A7M3
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

that works really well. streaming and all,
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Wow, that was excellent David, great sound quality, and the video ...you wouldn't know it was coming from a DSLR unless someone told you.
Shame you're selling such a fine instrument, (I don't think I could part with mine).
I'm guessing it's the economic meltdown, but things will improve, it's almost got to the point where the only way left to go, is up, it's hard to believe that it could get much worse.
Greg
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Both our children were in the middle of house moves when all this stuff started happening, and our daughter got caught with an unsold flat, plus a purchase at February prices - at the limit of their range too. We had to help out. It will be two years at the minimum before they can repay us, and I had just bought an A900.

Actually, it's the Sony Alpha system which has really hit my finances in the last 12 months. A700, A200, A350 and now A900 all purchased within one twelve month period; 18-250, 16-105, 11-18, and 70-300 SSM within the same period. I think it's more than I have ever spent on 35mm-type kit in such a short time.

David
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

That's a sad video - I feel your pain in letting go of this guitar. Without any details, I also had to 'invest' into some family affairs recently - it's tough to see your savings go, but then family is more important! They would do the same for me if I were in trouble. :D
alfake
Heirophant

Unread post by alfake »

Beautiful and deeply emotive adieu to your guitar, David! (Let’s hope things will improve in the not too distant future.)
Alfonso
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

alfake wrote:Beautiful and deeply emotive adieu to your guitar, David! (Let’s hope things will improve in the not too distant future.)
Alfonso
Of course, it may end up staying with me because I am not parting with it for a too-low price! The other side to this recession/collapse is that goods may really be worth more than money in the long run. Owning an Alpha 900 may be worth more than have £1800 in the bank - the bank could disappear with the £1800, or the £1800 could suddenly turn into £1400 when Gordon Brown decides the answer is for the pound to be devalued to Euro parity and tied to the Euro instead of controlled free floating. I've seen that happen once before, overnight.

I own a house which has 'lived' through a dozen and more economic crashes and bank failures, and twice - in the mid-1820s and the late 1950s - it has been sold by 'roup' (Scottish auction) when its owners have been made near-bankrupt by runs on the bank. But it survived the 1860s and the 1920s without changing hands that way, and I'm hoping it is just about to survive the 2000s (hey - there's no word for the first decade of a century!).

David
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

David, thanks for sharing that with us all. I hope that you can keep the instrument as it obviously means a lot to you. Rather than sell it and lose it for ever, perhaps you could pawn it and redeem it later - Just an idea, not something I have ever done myself.

I was thinking about selling some of my currently unused amateur radio equipment, but I have resisted the temptation ,realising that in the present circumstances I would not get as much I would hope for and should I ever want to take up that hobby again it would cost a whole lot more to replace it. You are probably right that possessions are probably worth more than money in the bank just now. Let's hope for some end to the current madness that has destroyed so much of our economic stability.
David
rogprov
Oligarch

Unread post by rogprov »

David Kilpatrick wrote:.... (hey - there's no word for the first decade of a century!).

David
Noughties .... or naughties even :D
Roger
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

The music alone had me close, but if I'd read the thread before I clicked the link, I'd have been moved to tears upon listening. That's sad news,and I'm sorry the times have caught you and your family in a tough spot. It was a beautiful piece of music from a beautiful instrument. Thank you for sharing.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Hi,

We learn from this morning's economy news and from a live broadcast of Mr. Brown and Minister of Finance Darling's press conference that new plans are being inacted to save some banks (Scottish banks) and the economical crisis in general. The bourses in Europe opened more positively today, which is a good sign also.

Hopefully this will relieve and reflect on some in the near future too...and nobody will have to sell their dear pieces of equipment or belongings!

Yildiz
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Even so, I just moved my business account balance to my personal account - Bank of Scotland in both cases. I believe that my personal account is protected and guaranteed, but the bank has not been able to answer one question - are my business accounts protected? They can't say.

David
braeside
Grand Caliph

Unread post by braeside »

That is a good point, I may look into this also.
David
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David, I am sorry to hear about the problems. Things are pretty discouraging right now. I imagine just about all of us have been hit in some way or other and if the politicians are right there is likely to be more to come. By the way, I forwarded the link of you playing your guitar to my brother-in-law in Houston. He loves guitars and plays too. I thought you might be interested in his reply to me:
David is indeed a good player and his Lowden (never heard of these here) looks and sounds great. I could kick myself in the jolly old posterior for selling a '57 Gibson Les Paul Jr. TV model four years ago for $4,500. They currently go for $25K! These things are out doing the stock market!
Strange, I see that the forum software changed one simple word (a-rse) into the phrase 'jolly old posterior' in the quote above. :)