Any other triathletes/cyclists on here?

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
physasst
Acolyte

Any other triathletes/cyclists on here?

Unread post by physasst »

I'm a pretty avid cyclist turned triathlete, just wondering if anyone else on here has similar interests? :mrgreen:
"You don't take a photograph, you make it"
"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer-and often the supreme disappointment"
-Ansel Adams

Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Any other triathletes/cyclists on here?

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

I'm a runner myself, but some of my friends are cyclists, runners, and swimmers. Triathlons are very hard to be competitive in, and demand a tricky balance in training. Most of my athletic friends found themselves pursuing this at one time or another, but found that it held them back from the one of the three that they loved most. Me, I never learned how to swim, and photography has got my spending money before a bike ever could, so I stick to running to keep my heart strong.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Well, I do run from one room to the other pretty fast, usually the bathroom; I'm very good at cycling, my recycling bag for the beer cans is always full; and I get to swim at least once a day, or at least, my head does after a couple of whiskies. Does this count?

Seriously, I'm not very fit, never was an athlete but have gone everywhere at double speed all my life until very recently. I once employed the Lincolnshire schools long distance running champion as an assistant, and he couldn't keep up with the speed I walked/jogged everywhere. I will still run a quarter mile to get to the post on time, but I get out of breath. I have a friend who is slightly older than me - he'll be getting on for 60 - who does the 'Iron Man' thing, but he's a paramedic and fireman, also spends a lot of time working out in the firestation gym.

David
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

I try to enjoy my 8km way to work on a bike as often as I can nowadays, after gaining some weight I really need to keep my heart in shape...
Even though I'm not a very sporty guy and have never tried triathlon but my father in law has, and I've also covered one of Scandinavias largest multisport races for several years (I have friends in the staff). Multisport for those who doesn't know is related with triathlon, but is a team effort that spans over several days.
The team most often consists of four individuals, there are male and mixed classes (at least one girl in the team). The mixed teams are usually the strongest ones, go figure :wink: Multisport also includes some adventure elements beside the three main ones (running/orientation, MTB bicycling and canooing), for example repelling, swimming and going by inlines.
Multisport involves another depth in the sport - psychology. The races are very tough not just physically but also psychologically because of the length of the races, the very limited amount of sleep and so on. Also take in account the team dynamics that really must work out... When someone is tired it is very important that the others help to bring the team forward.

Wow, that was quite a lot of text coming from me, on with some images instead:

(yes, that's water in the bg :D )

And one of my favourite photo sites :wink:
rather high...

from below:

Sorry for the load.. I have thousands of these but they'd probably need an own thread :wink:
The compression is really crappy to conserve web space for the organizer...

Hope you liked it :)

/Zeb!
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
aster
Tower of Babel

Unread post by aster »

Very impressive Zeb, very impressive!! I love these photos, you're lucky to be close to some of the staff... :D

Enjoyed them!.... as good as watching a candid documentary..

Yildiz
physasst
Acolyte

Unread post by physasst »

The last race I did was in July, and I managed to grab a few shots of some of the top pros in triathlon....

"You don't take a photograph, you make it"
"Landscape photography is the supreme test of the photographer-and often the supreme disappointment"
-Ansel Adams

Sic Vis Pacem Para Bellum
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Great pictures Zeb and physasst - I felt so exhausted I had to scamble to the fridge for another cold beer :D Seriously though those are great action shots of the different events.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Yes, try athlete, try... :lol:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I was pretty active but not for the last couple of years and it's damaged me somehow so i'm going to have to get back at it at some level. I played football. canoed. studied Taekwondo which is funny because i'm still very flexible the guys at work get a kick out of me with my foot on top of the fridge.. it looks so un natural for someone my age and girth to be able to do :) ... but they do what I tell them without any lip :)
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Phew, me too, I'm plum tuckered out after watching all those exertions :)
good pics though, one and all.
Greg
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

aster wrote:Very impressive Zeb, very impressive!! I love these photos, you're lucky to be close to some of the staff... :D

Enjoyed them!.... as good as watching a candid documentary..

Yildiz
Thank you Yildiz! You are very kind as usual :D

physasst wrote:The last race I did was in July, and I managed to grab a few shots of some of the top pros in triathlon....
Nice catch physasst, even though they're unknown to me :)

Birma wrote:Great pictures Zeb and physasst - I felt so exhausted I had to scamble to the fridge for another cold beer :D Seriously though those are great action shots of the different events.
Hehe... Watching sports can do that to you :wink: Thanks Birma.

/Z!
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2