Screen Viewing Problem

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
dewarp
Oligarch

Screen Viewing Problem

Unread post by dewarp »

Hi David

It bugs me that whenever I attempt to read your articles on Photoclubalpha, some fo the text is cut off on the right hand side.

How can we solve this problem?

regards

Peter Dewar
Omega892
Oligarch

Re: Screen Viewing Problem

Unread post by Omega892 »

dewarp wrote:Hi David

It bugs me that whenever I attempt to read your articles on Photoclubalpha, some fo the text is cut off on the right hand side.

regards

Peter Dewar
Which OS and Browser are you using?
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

XP and IE6 using either 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024. Same problem with both screens.

regards
Peter Dewar
Omega892
Oligarch

dewarp wrote:XP and IE6 using either 1024 x 768 or 1280 x 1024. Same problem with both screens.

regards
Peter Dewar
Ah! Yes!

I had run into that trouble on a number of sites last year before upgrading to IE7.

My laptop and desktop now lack IE6 so cannot test but think that IE7 is the way to go, or Firefox.

I upgraded on one machine only first to test the water, the interface WRT menu items has changed somewhat.

What I do notice with Photoclub Alpha is that the left side panel displays at the bottom of the page after all other items. I never saw this site under IE6 so cannot compare but maybe the problem is in how IE renders these pages.

I note that WordPress is being used to generate these pages and maybe it does something that IE cannot handle correctly.
'Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.' - Benjamin Franklin
dewarp
Oligarch

Screen Viewing Problems

Unread post by dewarp »

Interesting! I also note that David's latest article on the Sony photo awards comes out as you say, with the left side links below the main text, which I am now able to see.

regards

Peter Dewar
Beakydave
Initiate

Re: Screen Viewing Problem

Unread post by Beakydave »

There is an easy solution:

Hit the 'restore down' button (ie make sure you are not looking at the article in full screen mode). By dragging the right hand side of the screen inwards you should be able to bring all the text into view. Yes, I know it's counter-intuitive - you'd think moving the edge of the screen left would cut off even more text. But it does work! (on my PC, at least)

dewarp wrote:Hi David

regards

Peter Dewar
Beakydave
Initiate

Unread post by Beakydave »

Just noticed that it works equally well by dragging the left side in. Point is, as you reduce the width of the screen far enough, it forces the text to fit the screen (don't ask me why!)
dewarp
Oligarch

Unread post by dewarp »

The previous 2 articles (photo awards, and A700 well up to the job) came out OK with the left side links at the bottom. However, the latest article (on Harman) has the same old problem.

As you suggest, I will load a copy of IE7 sometime.

regards
Peter Dewar
Omega892
Oligarch

dewarp wrote:The previous 2 articles (photo awards, and A700 well up to the job) came out OK with the left side links at the bottom. However, the latest article (on Harman) has the same old problem.

As you suggest, I will load a copy of IE7 sometime.

regards
Peter Dewar
Well they appear full width OK here on my desktop at 1600 x 1200 and laptop at 1280 x 800 with the exception of that side bar being below everything else on any page.

This IMHO is a serious design flaw that may lead many visitors to miss all the links contained therein.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The problem is that if I adjust the parameters to work on one system, it promptly breaks the site on others, causing things like text overlaid on top of the sidebar. I have not found a solution which works on all systems, so at the moment, I just use what works perfectly on Mac with Firefox, because that is how I view the site.

David