Considering defecting.....

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
Elisha
Initiate

Considering defecting.....

Unread post by Elisha »

So like the title says, I'm considering jumping ship.
One of the main reasons in video. And since Sony has not committed to video, I can't justify sticking around.
My baby boy is turning 5 months old now so I would like tome videos of him. My Mini DV camcorder is just not cutting it.
Plus everything Sony seems much more expensive from lenses to accessories.

The Canon 7D is at the top of my list however since it is so new, body alone pricing in Canada is $2.1k
The Nikon D300s has been out for about a month or so and can be had for $1.8k+ and seems to be a good second option as well.
Only thing that keeps me away from the Nikon is that even after 2 years, they didn't do anything to improve the IQ from the original D300. Instead of improving, they just seem to have added features to it.

Or my other option would be to just switch systems right now, collect lenses then buy the bodies when they become more reasonable.
So if I decide to go that route, I've been considering the Nikon D90 or a D300 and the Canon 50D.
On the plus side, the D90 already has video but the crappy Nikon implementation which seems to be not much comparison to the Canon.

Build wise, the 50D and D300 would be comparable to my a700.

Any comments or suggestions are welcome!
Sony Alpha a700 + Sony VG-C70AM Vertical Grip
Minolta AF: 28-135mm F4-4.5 | 50mm F1.4
Sony 70-300mm G SSM
Sigma EF-530 DG Super

flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Considering defecting.....

Unread post by Dusty »

Well, if that's what you really need, go for it. I have no need for video, and my youngest just passed 1 YO. I don't think we've had the vid-cam out more than twice the whole year.

After you buy the other system and then stop using the video mode because the audio is doggie-doo of it's rally not what you thought, you'll still be stuck with a system that sticks it too you ever time you want an OS lens.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dusty
Elisha
Initiate

Unread post by Elisha »

I've considered that. However Sony's IS can be circumvented by Canikon's high ISO. Plus even the kit lenses these days have IS on them.
I don't see to many Canikon users suffering from bad images because of the lack of IS. And to tell you the truth, I'm not sure if I would miss it at all!

As for video, I would love to have a video of my son's first steps, first solid meal and so on. Audio on the D300s and 7D can be improved with an external mic as they both have a jack for it. I'm not trying to make home movies with it.....just small clips that I can watch years down the road!

I suppose my biggest grudge is the availability of Sony glass and accessories for reasonable prices new and choice when it comes to buying used.
For example the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 costs over $600 here brand new and it costs only about $369 in the States. It's a total ripoff.
Sony 70-300mm G SSM
Sigma EF-530 DG Super

flickr
bfitzgerald
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

I wouldn't defect based on a lack of video.

Silly dumb question, but some of those compacts do ok video (and some have stereo sound) And a decent selection of camcorders too, to fit all budgets. I would be looking in that direction..myself. However you might have been caught with this artistic "DSLR video" bug..which could be fair enough.

I am not that interested in video myself, but I know some are..in any case, I do think it would be a good idea for Sony to start doing it, being last is not great in this market..better in than out as they say. I might play with video in a DSLR, but it would not be a serious thing..just don't have the urge to make videos much.
Elisha
Initiate

Unread post by Elisha »

The types of videos that are being taken on the current DSLRs are the types of snippets I used to take when I actively used my camcorder when I got it in the end of 2002. I like the idea of little clips here and there that captures the moment and the better high ISO capability while doing it. MF or AF in video does not bother me much.

Also another point that I should mention is that I'm the only one in my local camera club besides another guy that shoots Sony. The others tend to swap and borrow each others equipment.....and I can't :cry:
Sony 70-300mm G SSM
Sigma EF-530 DG Super

flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Forget DSLRs for kids! They move. No DSLR can refocus during video accurately, though I have done some manual focusing pulling with careful planning. For anything moving like that, I use a Sanyo XActi HD video cam. It is pocketable, silent, tiny, and has excellent stereo sound. It will also take quick 10 megapixel snap JPEGs which are about as sharp as a normal 3 megapixel digital image (just big, not really detailed).

Wanting to video children or animals is NOT a good reason to switch to an HD video capable DSLR system, because you very quickly find it does not work out. You can get a few really nice set-up shots, but they are almost like still compositions rendered as video. For any sort of movement, a simple little dedicated HD 720p camera will work better, and be far superior to Mini DV video cams of lower resolution.

David
peterottaway
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by peterottaway »

I do own a Nikon D90 and as luck would have it I have just come back from the un-boxing of a Canon 7D.

All I can say is that the D90 is a good decent camera to use as a DSLR but I find its menu and control layout to be slow and frustrating after the A700 and I am seriously considering having it converted to IR to get more use out of it.

My initial reaction to the Canon 7D is that this is probably the first Canon since I bought a second hand T90 that I would actually put my own money down to buy. It's far better in design and construction than the 50D or the 5D MK 2. But again as a DSLR not as a video device. Just like others here I believe that the best video camera you can get is a dedicated video camera. You also don't get confused between using the camera for stills and video.

Should you want to change to a Canon or Nikon because you like them better or that with all the local photographers you know are using them then fine.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Dusty wrote:you'll still be stuck with a system that sticks it too you ever time you want an OS lens.
For the record, Sony sticks it to you every time you want a lens.

I would like video capabilities as much as anybody, but I don't necessarily need it in my SLR. Likewise, I have a cell phone that plays MP3s, but if I was an audiophile, or just wanted to listen to music on the go, I'd buy a more specifically oriented tool. DSLRs offer a uniquely large format for video with opportunity for very shallow depth of field. Sure, if there were two otherwise equivalent cameras but one had video and the other didn't, I'd opt for video.

Switching systems to get video wouldn't be in the cards. I'd swap for an optical viewfinder, ISO noise/sensitivity, control, or weatherproofing, but not for video. However, it just so happens that all of the brands I might jump to are offering video in the cameras that interest me most.

That said, I'd go for the Pentax K7. It's got a sweet viewfinder, great controls, and what is, in my opinion, a more complete and competitive system than Sony Alpha.
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Elisha
Initiate

Unread post by Elisha »

I'm not gonna be using the video function for fast moving objects.
Pentax is out of the question since the lenses for it and the accessories are even harder to come by for me.
Canikon stuff is plentiful in the local kijiji and craiglist sites.

And since most people say it's all about the glass, I don't see how Sony can be competitive here since they want quite a bit for a re-badged Tamron 28-75mm and their lineup is pretty pricey compared to lets say Canon lenses.

And I personally believe that the Sony SURE program in North America is a devious way for Sony to make a consumer perceive their quality. Lets fix the price so that it stays constant and high so people think we are the best rather than vary in prices from store to store that carry other brands.
Sony 70-300mm G SSM
Sigma EF-530 DG Super

flickr
harvey
Oligarch

Unread post by harvey »

Elisha wrote:So like the title says, I'm considering jumping ship.
One of the main reasons in video. And since Sony has not committed to video, I can't justify sticking around.
My baby boy is turning 5 months old now so I would like tome videos of him. My Mini DV camcorder is just not cutting it.
Any comments or suggestions are welcome!
I'm in the same position as I still have a tape camcorder and am not sure what to upgrade to.

Why not just get a new camcorder? For the prices mentioned I imagine you could get something midrange like a Panasonic HDC-TM300 along with a wide angle converter.

Perhaps the small stuff (Sony HDR-TG3?) might even compete with the mini-DV camcorder you have.

I would try to get some hands-on time before deciding.

Harvey
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

Hi Elisha - what a great thread! Brand comparison and video DSLRs all in one discussion. Guaranteed to get the forum's juices running :D . I have recently been through a similar decision; wanting to capture video images of my young daughter, and wanting to combine this with my interest in still photography. I very nearly went for a Nikon D5000, but after feedback here, and much soul searching I bought a P&S which did great HD video (Sony T500). This is tiny and so no overhead to carry around, and still uses memory stick. The video is great for those special family moments. I also take this tiny device to places I would never take my dslr.

I still want a vDSLR, but I will wait for my next natrual camera body upgrade and no doubt will get it then (unless the Doc etc. badger me in to getting a A700 first :D).

Reading your replies above I think that you also have other requirements - greater availability of lenses, and I think you will only get this with Canikon. In the UK I can't see any great difference in new glass prices, but there is certainly more choice second hand.
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Elisha
Initiate

Unread post by Elisha »

I'm more fascinated with the fact that the bigger sensors create a surreal subject isolation. I thought of getting a separate video recorder but I rather be have it on the DSLR and have the ability to change lenses.
Sony 70-300mm G SSM
Sigma EF-530 DG Super

flickr
Elisha
Initiate

Unread post by Elisha »

Camera: Nikon D90
Exposure: 0.033 sec (1/30)
Aperture: f/6.3
Focal Length: 35 mm
Exposure: 0.00
ISO Speed: 6400

pretty usable high ISO :D
Sony 70-300mm G SSM
Sigma EF-530 DG Super

flickr
Elisha
Initiate

Unread post by Elisha »

So I picked up the Canon 7D on Tuesday.
Sold my last piece of Sony equipment yesterday!

This camera is badass.

7D @ ISO 6400

Sony 70-300mm G SSM
Sigma EF-530 DG Super

flickr
Javelin

Unread post by Javelin »

Nice baby shot but got any video yet? I'd like to see the baby playing in video at ISO 6400

Edit: OH I didn't see the D90 shot.! sorry. If we are comparing I think the D90 shot is better in terms of noise no ?