Suggestion: click on link opens new window/tab

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Suggestion: click on link opens new window/tab

Unread post by bakubo »

I have a suggestion for you. I don't know if the phpbb3 software allows this, but if it does then it may be something for you to consider. Can you make it so that when a link is in a post, such as this one, that when the link is clicked it opens a new browser window/tab rather than leaving your forum and going to the page? For example, if you click on the link to my website below it will leave this post and go to my website:

http://www.bakubo.com

I think it would be better for you to not have people navigating away from your website. An example of a site that does what I think is preferable is dpreview (sorry to use it as an example :) ). Also, it is useful to be able to see both the post and the linked to page at the same time. In addition, once one gets to the linked site one may end up clicking on other links and have to backtrack a lot just to get back to the originating forum post or maybe even end up forgetting where you came from. :)
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Suggestion: click on link opens new window/tab

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

The main website software allows it, but the Forum does not appear to. It is annoying that it does not open a new window or tab and can't be optionally configured to do so.

David
Hawk
Oligarch

Unread post by Hawk »

SeaMonkey browser (based on old Mozilla Suite and Gecko engine) allows user to open any link in new tab with middle mouse click, ctrl + left mouse click or ctrl + enter. By default these shortcuts open new window. Just go to Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator -> Tabbed browsing. I remember seeing similar option in Firefox preferences somewhere. No idea if it works in Opera or Internet Explorer.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Hawk wrote:SeaMonkey browser (based on old Mozilla Suite and Gecko engine) allows user to open any link in new tab with middle mouse click, ctrl + left mouse click or ctrl + enter. By default these shortcuts open new window. Just go to Edit -> Preferences -> Navigator -> Tabbed browsing. I remember seeing similar option in Firefox preferences somewhere. No idea if it works in Opera or Internet Explorer.
I use Firefox 3.0.1 and I have that option turned on. For these forums, Google, and most other websites it doesn't create a new window/tab. For dpreview it does.
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I always right click and select new window/tab from the menu
Hawk
Oligarch

Unread post by Hawk »

bakubo wrote:I use Firefox 3.0.1 and I have that option turned on. For these forums, Google, and most other websites it doesn't create a new window/tab. For dpreview it does.
I've just checked and it works perfectly in SeaMonkey 1.1.11, Firefox 3.0.1 and Opera 9.51 on my system. I just use middle click on links and they open in new tabs.
rogprov
Oligarch

Unread post by rogprov »

Hawk wrote:
bakubo wrote:I use Firefox 3.0.1 and I have that option turned on. For these forums, Google, and most other websites it doesn't create a new window/tab. For dpreview it does.
I've just checked and it works perfectly in SeaMonkey 1.1.11, Firefox 3.0.1 and Opera 9.51 on my system. I just use middle click on links and they open in new tabs.
I didn't realise that! Works a dream in FF 3.01 ... thanks :D
Roger
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

If I control-click on the Mac I get the option for new tab or new window is FF 3.0 as well. Very useful.

David
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

If you switch to Firefox, then with just clicking on the mouse wheel you'll have a new tab (window). It's a long time now that I switched from IE to Firefox.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
harveyzone
Oligarch

Unread post by harveyzone »

Dr. Harout wrote:If you switch to Firefox, then with just clicking on the mouse wheel you'll have a new tab (window).
And also in Opera.
--
Tom
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Yes, I checked and if I right click I have the option to open a new tab when I click on a link. Thanks!
springm
Oligarch

Unread post by springm »

As opening links in new tabs is so easy - I use ctrl-mouse-left all the time - I'd just like to add that I do prefer the website letting me choose the option myself. When I want to leave a site by just a normal click, I want to leave it, and when I want to stay there I open any link to follow in another tab, deliberately. But I want to stay in control.

So I am perfectly glad with a not-overprotective behaviour of the pages.

Regards - Markus
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

springm wrote:As opening links in new tabs is so easy - I use ctrl-mouse-left all the time - I'd just like to add that I do prefer the website letting me choose the option myself. When I want to leave a site by just a normal click, I want to leave it, and when I want to stay there I open any link to follow in another tab, deliberately. But I want to stay in control.

So I am perfectly glad with a not-overprotective behaviour of the pages.
Great, I learned something else new. I didn't know about the ctrl-mouse-left thing. That is much easier! Thanks!
bossel
Viceroy

Unread post by bossel »

And the minority of us Internet Explorer on Windows users can do Shift-Click to open in a new window 8)
david antony
Viceroy

Unread post by david antony »

Just tried control-click on the Mac, seems it works with any browser. Great!

David A