Happy B-Day Big Boss

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Happy B-Day Big Boss

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

A toast: wishing all the joy and happiness along with health and prosperity, but most of all great luck.
Many happy returns. :D
Happy B-Day David.
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Birma
Tower of Babel

Re: Happy B-Day Big Boss

Unread post by Birma »

Many happy returns DK! Hope you enjoyed a celebratory quaff or two :D
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

Have a pint for me as well! HB DK!

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
KevinBarrett
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

Happy birthday, David! Don't you dare post in the forums on your birthday, either. Stay out and have a good time!
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

I think he's too busy playing with his new A77 to bother about birthdays, but anyway happy B-day DK.
Greg
[SiC]
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by [SiC] »

A bit late to the party, but many congratulations to DK!
Sony A700, A580, Nex-5t, KM D7D & VC-7D, M Dynax 500si
KM 17-35 F2.8-4 D, M 50 F1.7 RS, M 135 F2.8, M 28-100 F3.5-5.6 D, M 100-200 F4.5, T 70-300 F4-5.6 Di USD, S 18-55 F3.5-5.6 SAM, S 18-70 F3.5-5.6
Sony hvl-f42s, Minolta 3600 HS D
Sony Z1C & Z2
paulmurphy
Grand Caliph

Unread post by paulmurphy »

Best wishes from me to David, hope you got the A77 on your birthday

Cheers

Paul
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Thanks everyone! I did manage to get out today with the Alpha 77 - despite having to work tonight to make up for the couple of hours spent in fantastic sunshine (25°C). Here's an Alpha 77 shot from the first tests. I am now using Capture One Pro v6 latest download which supports the A77, NEX-7, A65 etc - very good results, though this is from a camera JPEG.
Attachments
spittalrocks.jpg
spittalrocks.jpg (912.66 KiB) Viewed 4357 times
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

David Kilpatrick wrote:Thanks everyone! I did manage to get out today with the Alpha 77 - despite having to work tonight to make up for the couple of hours spent in fantastic sunshine (25°C). Here's an Alpha 77 shot from the first tests. I am now using Capture One Pro v6 latest download which supports the A77, NEX-7, A65 etc - very good results, though this is from a camera JPEG.
Happy Birthday! Or, as they say in Japan: お誕生日、おめでとう!

That is good news that the Capture One is getting good results. I am looking forward to seeing how much the A77 raw is improved with a newer ACR. I am also looking forward to reading what you have to say about the A77 after you have used it awhile.

By the way, Carl Garrard sent me an email earlier today saying that someone at Sony confirmed to him that they are busily working on an A77 firmware update to fix some things, but they didn't give him details. Of course, even without the email it was probably obvious to almost everyone that Sony had better be working on updated firmware. :lol:
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

Bonne fete monsieur photo :-).

It is always a pleasure to read you article and forum posting. A true inspiration for us.

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

David, I like your "very good results" sentence... now where is that "LIKE" button?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
MarcoC
Initiate

Unread post by MarcoC »

Show us some more shots David !

Also, ACR is now officially updated for a77 - as is LR3 - apaprently the conversions look a lot better than the alpha/beta ACR conversions used by DPR
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I have done some high speed, wildlife ISO 800 to 3200 today with mixed results. I plan to wait until tomorrow, when a firmware release is rumoured to be released by Sony. The gap between A55 and A77 results at, say, ISO 1600 is pretty noticeable; A55 can be processed to look no different from ISO 100, A77 can't (as yet).

The main things I'm seeing so far are that lens aperture, and focus, become more than critical on the A77. I'm not very happy with ANY lens so far but I have not tried any primes - remember, even the camera manual warns that older Minolta lenses are not fully compatible. And I am disappointed to find that lens profiles for auto correction of distortion etc will only apply to new lenses with a chip to handle this - the 16-80mm CZ for example does not appear to activate the function, or at least my early one doesn't.

Could end up weighing the value of the A77 against the possible need to upgrade too many lenses...

David
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

David Kilpatrick wrote:... I'm not very happy with ANY lens so far but I have not tried any primes - remember, even the camera manual warns that older Minolta lenses are not fully compatible. And I am disappointed to find that lens profiles for auto correction of distortion etc will only apply to new lenses with a chip to handle this - the 16-80mm CZ for example does not appear to activate the function, or at least my early one doesn't.

Could end up weighing the value of the A77 against the possible need to upgrade too many lenses...

David
David, give me your address and let me know which old Minolta prime you want to tried :-). I'm interest to know if old "technicaly" good prime is right or at least will benefit on the Nex 7 sensor. (but you might have good ressource to get those lens in your area...)

Regards,

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

I do not think the NEX-7 sensor is exactly the same - may even have a different value of AA filter. I have a good selection of lenses which I know to be very sharp, I'm just not too keen to put the A77 out of action - but so far mine shows no sign of wanting to misbehave.

David