Kodak sliding towards oblivion?

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Kodak sliding towards oblivion?

Unread post by Dusty »

It doesn't look good for the guys who brought photography to the everyday man.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142 ... 27950.html

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Kodak sliding towards oblivion?

Unread post by artington »

That's the penalty for ignoring new technologies. Nothing new here - remember Atari, Compaq (pre-HP), Wang, DEC, etc. Sad loss of iconic company, though. But, as Jim Morrison sang, This is the End. Kodatoast.
KevinBarrett

Unread post by KevinBarrett »

"I've got a Sony camera
I love to take a photograph
So mama, don't take my CS5 away."
Kevin Barrett
-- Photos --
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

artington wrote:That's the penalty for ignoring new technologies. Nothing new here - remember Atari, Compaq (pre-HP), Wang, DEC, etc. Sad loss of iconic company, though. But, as Jim Morrison sang, This is the End. Kodatoast.
Kodak was actually on the front lines of developing digital imaging. Isn't it a Kodak sensor in Leica's S series cameras?

It just seems they never managed to turn the new tech into the kind of success their old tech was!

Dusty
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Very sad. When I was a kid Kodak meant not only film but a camera. "Take your Kodak with you", which meant take a camera with you. What is your Kodak? the answer would be a Pentax, Petri, Canon...
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I bought some Kodak shares when they went right down, just a few (not enough to pay the supermarket shop with) to see where they go. If they just collapse, it's not much, Kodak was once one of my biggest advertisers. If they double or treble or do something like that, which is quite likely given the patent portfolio value, then they will... pay for week's groceries at the best!

David
bfitzgerald

Unread post by bfitzgerald »

Kodak is the company I least respect in modern terms. They've made almost no effort as far as digital photography goes instead relying on ho hum boring compacts to sell with the "name stamped on it"

So no tears around here..of course there is sentiment with the name. But they are the victims of their own lack of effort. Better to try and fail than to not even try at all rings true here. The last decent camera they made was the P880 flawed, but actually pretty good back then. Rather than trying to build upon that they've taken the lazy way out and done nothing.

It's a lot more than just the downturn in film use to blame here. Fujifilm have at least made some efforts in the market granted some duffers and mis-fires but they have at least attempted to do something other than being a badged Vivitar of the camera industry. I don't like Patent trolls and Kodak falls firmly into that (same applies to Apple but they can at least put something out there that is good) If it's Kodak RIP then there is nobody to blame other than Kodak.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

I must disagree Barry. Kodak invented docking digital cameras, recharging in the dock, Easyshare (for which countless other makers pay them patent royalties to cover their own net-upload photo sharing automation), many different types of camera sensor including the early 4/3rds design and those found in many MF cameras (Dalsa is moving faster though). They produced some of the best digital cameras made such as the P880 which was a match and more for the KM A2. They continue to produce film and they have cleaned up in the home inkjet market by undercutting the extortionate ink prices of others.

The problem for Kodak began as long ago as 1980. I remember when they decided to stop selling directly to professionals, and our studio's Kodak account was closed - the rep was made redundant, the van service ended, and we were told to order from Pelling&Cross, KJP, CPL labs and so on. 'Trade counters' took over the sales and added a layer of profit which was removed from Kodak. At that time they had a massive worldwide staffing level. And ever since then, it's been a downward spiral of reducing product range, cutting staff, closing factories, cutting budgets...

But the digital camera business actually went against this trend, all their products were very reliable and use-friendly - same with the dye sub printers, inkjets and most digital accessories. Even their scanners have been amongst the best. Gone now, but I wish there were still Kodak film scanners on the market.

David
bfitzgerald

David the point is they made no effort themselves with their transition to digital cameras. It's great having made some decent sensors and docking stations nice and dandy but what's the point if you can't even attempt to put out something slightly interesting camera wise?

Kodak might have nice colours to some (fair enough) but they over-sharpened their images to a silly degree often without any way of dropping that down.
As for film I mostly use Ilford for b&w and Fuji for colour. Kodak do some nice film but it's all a bit late really on that side of things.

Onto Patent trolls this is actually a huge modern problem the patent laws are frankly beyond a joke and encourage makers to patent ideas which have no place in a patent system. How on earth Apple can patent finger movements (gestures) is beyond me. The whole system is badly in need of an overhaul. The situation stifles innovation and is not in the interests of the consumer at all.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

After 132 years Kodak is poised, like an old photo, to fade away. http://www.economist.com/node/21542796? ... odakmoment
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
bfitzgerald

Here we go:
http://www.kodak.com/ek/US/en/Kodak_Foc ... nities.htm

No more digital cameras..
Printers..and gasp
Film survives too!
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Now it won't be selling you film, either.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087 ... 40864.html

Dusty
bfitzgerald

No problem for me I use mostly Fujifilm and Ilford anyway.
IMO Kodak deserve to go down..big time. Whilst I don't wish anyone to lose their job and stuff like that. They have shown a level of incompetence that is staggering.
High flying CEO and Execs who wasted cash hand over fist on huge expenses and living a high life, no innovation or even slightly interesting digital camera products (premium compact market was one worth chasing), same old cheapie not that good products that disappeared into the background relying only on the "big name" to sell them.

They might end up like Polaroid just being a brand name for sale on various products.

Whilst Fujifilm have been a bit hit and miss, they have at least taken the gloves off, tried different things (not always worked but interesting at times) Very stark contrast between these 2 big names of the film era. Bottom line Fujifilm made an effort, Kodak did not.
Might sound harsh and a bit cruel but if Kodak have no presence in any way in photography what exactly are they going to do? Can they survive in the printer market? With the big boys Epson, HP, Canon? I have some doubts on that myself.

We have to leave sentimental behind here, it was quite clear what Kodak needed to do over a decade ago. Anyone with half a clue about photography knew Kodak would have to make a good name for themselves with digital as their film market shrank down. They didn't so this is the price they pay. I have little sympathy for something that was very obvious to most folks, even with a vague grip on the photographic market.
Atgets_Apprentice
Grand Caliph

Unread post by Atgets_Apprentice »

I just hope to God I can still get my hands on a decent stock of BW400CN, if someone doesn't take over manufacturing it.
XG-1, XD-5, XD-7, X-500, XG1n, X300, 7000i, 700si, 800si, 500si Super, 600si, Dynax 5, KM 7D, a100, a200, a300, a580. And another 600si.....
Dusty

Unread post by Dusty »

Atgets_Apprentice wrote:I just hope to God I can still get my hands on a decent stock of BW400CN, if someone doesn't take over manufacturing it.
Buy now and stick it in the freezer!

Dusty