Cameracraft arrived

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
01af
Imperial Ambassador

Cameracraft arrived

Unread post by 01af »

My copy of David's new magazine 'Cameracraft' arrived today. It feels thinner than expected but still has a lot of content; it makes you realise how many pages are wasted to advertising in other print magazines. The print quality is extra-ordinarily high, and it on many pages the spirit from the old but not forgotten MinoltaMirror magazine is almost overwhelming. I guess it was one of my better ideas to subscribe, and I am already looking forward to the next issue.

The current issue even contains one of my pictures—it's the big circular fish-eye shot in the article about legacy lenses on digital mirrorless cameras, taken with a Minolta MD Fish-eye Rokkor 7.5 mm 1:4 lens. However the camera used was not a Sony NEX (as falsely stated in the caption) but a Leica M9—in fact, that was my point in the first place when I submitted this picture. You need a full-frame camera to capture the fish-eye's whole image circle but on a Leica M, you cannot focus non-M lenses ... which doesn't matter with this particular lens, because it's fixed-focus anyway, but in general that's a problem.

To take full advantage of old 35-mm-format SLR lenses for today's digital photography, you'd need a digital camera that has
  • (1) a 35-mm full-frame sensor, and
    (2) a short-register lens mount, and
    (3) live view.
With the cameras currently available, you may pick any two of these three properties. The µ4/3 and Sony NEX mirrorless cameras have (2) and (3) but not (1). Full-frame DSLR cameras have (1) and (3) but not (2). The Leica M9 currently is the only camera in the world that has (1) and (2)—but it fails at (3). Oh well ...
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Cameracraft arrived

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

We'll have to print a correction - how silly of me. I have no idea why I captioned it as NEX, except that it was used to replace another picture.... taken with NEX. Yours was a better illustration, and I must have edited the caption instead of wiping it out and using my brain.

David
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by mikeriach »

David,

It arrived today thank you.
My wife commented "oh look there's my new camera on page 3".
Made me smile.

I look forward to the next issue.

Regards,
Mike
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

The only magazine from UK on my mailbox today was The Economist (interesting, but not that sexy...) Lets see tomorrow...
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

Congratulations, David, for Cameracraft. It is beautifully produced and, on the basis of the two articles I have so far read, informative in a way that most contemporary photography publications simply are not. I particularly liked your piece on "Chasing Shadows" which is thought-provoking and will bear re-reading.
Eiffel
Initiate

Unread post by Eiffel »

Great magazine, very different from the competition!

Just a small typo on the return address / mailing page : Scotis Borders... had me look twice ;-)
Proud owner of DK's dearly missed A900 ;-)
NevHi
Heirophant

Unread post by NevHi »

Mine arrived in NZ today. Not quite what I expected but I still like it. :-)
5D, 8000i, XD7
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

I received two copy yesterday in Montreal/Canada ... so I have to check if by mistake I click two time on the purchase button ??? :-) So far I like the first page I read yesterday before going to bed.

Frank
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Frank, don't speak too loud on receiving two copies, David may hear you and the result will be that we both will not receive double copies in the future...
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Javelin
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Javelin »

I received 2 as well. Haven't had a chance for more than a cursory glance but is sure looks nicely made
InTheSky
Viceroy

Unread post by InTheSky »

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=793 ... ea52993ac8

look at the bottom left...

Duplicated copies

If you are not in the UK, and received a second copy of Cameracraft Issue 1, please pass it to anyone who may be interested in subscribing. We had an error (or rather, I made a mistake...) during mail export, which won't be repeated.
Frank
A7 (R, S & R II) + NEX 3N ( and few lenses )
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Mine hasn't arrived from the UK yet... Y'all please send one to me if it doesn't come!!
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!
johnstra
Heirophant

Unread post by johnstra »

David,

I am very pleased with Cameracraft. I will be keeping it. It is intelligent, useful, and has some great pictures. Thank you for creating it. I am looking forward to the next issue. There is only one other UK magazine that I sometimes keep - Black and White Photography.

Bob
Bob Johnston
pakodominguez
Minister with Portfolio

Unread post by pakodominguez »

Juanito200 wrote:Mine hasn't arrived from the UK yet... Y'all please send one to me if it doesn't come!!
I have an extra copy here in NYC, if you want to pick it up... ;-)
Pako
------------
http://www.pakodominguez.photo/blog" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Juanito200
Viceroy

Unread post by Juanito200 »

Thanks Pako- I'd love to go to NYC to get it, but mine had arrived already, but my wife mistook it for mail for my father. He lives two houses down, and we have the same name...
David- this is a wonderful magazine, and I eagerly look forward to future issues.
Many thanks,

John
If the last thing you remember hearing is somebody yelling 'CLEAR!!!', assume you've had a problem!!
a77, a700, a200, Minolta 8000i, NEX C3, NEX 5N and more lenses than my wife suspects!