Tablets / Ipads

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
mark111
Initiate

Tablets / Ipads

Unread post by mark111 »

Thinking of getting an ipad but dont know which one, is it worth paying extra for the third generation or is the second gen good ??? Or now im being advised to get a Nexus 7, OMG this is so confusing so any reccomendations will be appreciated.

Mark
mvanrheenen

Re: Tablets / Ipads

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Mark,

The number one things you always have to ask yourself when buying gear, camera gear or otherwise, is:

1. what are you going to use it for and
2. how much are you willing to spend?

Professionally as well as privately I have pretty much worked with every single tablet, smartphone and phablet (big smartphones ;-)) that have been released in the last couple of years. Those include all Apple, Samsung, HTC, Sony and whatnot brand iOS, Android and Windows tablet and or smartphone available.

I can tell you that whatever you decide for your budget, all these devices will deliver, but they all deliver in their own way. These products are built around user experience, brand and hype. The user experience they offer is simple, easy to use technology for the non-tech-savvy: they just work. For Apple products my experience is that everything you want to do outside the functionality the device, OS or apps provide is a big no-go if you're not tech-savvy. Android is a system that provides a little more customization, even if you're not into the tech. Windows 7 tablets are based around the desktop version of the OS, which isn't that suitable for touch-interfaces as tablets utilize. The new Windows 8 RT tablets aren't out yet, so I can't say anything about them.

The brand and hypes that surround them have just one goal: to make money for these companies. Apple (read: Steve Jobs) has done a marvelous job in that department: people are willing to spent the night in long lines waiting for the second coming in personal devices and gladly pay half a monthly salary for it just to fit in. Samsung and other big players try the same but marginally succeed. The big advantages of the Android based devices is that you actually have a choice in different price classes, even if the brand tries hard to mimic Apple.

Back to your question: If you're just looking for a device which let's you browse the internet and read some e-mail, every current tablet will do. I would recommend giving the second hand market a try. Lot's of "older" models like the iPad 1 are going for little money.

If you have specific uses or needs, like productivity or maybe even photography, please inform us. I have experience with using the devices for productivity AND photography.

Hope my information (and rant) helped you a bit.

Mark
mark111
Initiate

Re: Tablets / Ipads

Unread post by mark111 »

Thanks for the advice and it certainley gives me food for thought, i will be using the device mainly for the apps / games at work also to read news and sport, and at home as a device for watching sports whenever i go up to my room etc. What attracts me to the ipad is the size which seems to be a larger screen and therefore better for gaming & movies etc. At work we have a wifi Netgear wireless router signal but i cant find the code or the damn router ( If you know a standard log on code number please help ;) )anywhere to log on so i know the ipad wont receive much but i refuse to pay extra from my provider to get a connection.
It was easier choosing my camera :) but i will have a think anyway

Mark