Street View and Beyond: Google’s Influence on Photography

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Street View and Beyond: Google’s Influence on Photography

Unread post by bakubo »

http://lightbox.time.com/2012/10/24/str ... ography/#1

Through meticulous research, framing, grabbing and reformatting, photographers themselves are assigning photos artistic value, in much the same way they do when shooting, toning or retouching a raw file or an analogue negative. "In its raw form, satellite imagery can be quite dull," says Mishka Henner, an artist who often works with Google’s images. "Cropping, adjusting, and forming a body of work out of them completely transforms these images into something that can be beautiful, terrifying and also insightful. If the internet remains free and open, I’m confident that in ten years photographic work like this will be as prevalent as imagery produced by hand-held cameras."

Art or not art is sort of a boring question to me -- I figure anything can be said to be art. What is interesting is the ethics of taking the photos and presenting them as your art?

I could imagine combing flickr and the rest of the internet and then the "Cropping, adjusting, and forming a body of work out of them completely transforms these images into something that can be beautiful, terrifying and also insightful." Or maybe comb through books and magazines, scanning photos, and then the "Cropping, adjusting, and forming a body of work out of them completely transforms these images into something that can be beautiful, terrifying and also insightful." Publish your books and maybe make some money and spend a few minutes in the limelight. :lol: It helps a whole, whole lot to be plugged into the art network to get some of them to endorse what you have done though, I think.
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Re: Street View and Beyond: Google’s Influence on Photograph

Unread post by Dusty »

What? Stealing someone else's work and playing with it isn't art? How dare you! I guess you also think that taking a crucifix and putting it in a bottle of urine isn't art, either?

Yes, being plugged into the inbred art network will surely get whatever you do called 'art' by someone, but try taking something they've done and manipulating it, and they'll say you're defacing it. If after all, I took their urine jar and dumped it in a bucket of feces and called it 'sh*t art', I'd probably get sued.

I'll agree that art is subjective, there are ugly pieces of rusted metal in too many city parks around the world that bear no resemblance to anything that are called 'art', and some people love them. I, on the other hand, think that the cities got ripped off by untalented nobodies who have ingratiated themselves into the art culture and been declared 'artists', so that anything they touch becomes 'art'.

Real talented artists sculpt, paint, or even work with photos, and no one who looks at denies it's art.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Re: Street View and Beyond: Google’s Influence on Photograph

Unread post by bakubo »

Dusty wrote:Yes, being plugged into the inbred art network will surely get whatever you do called 'art' by someone, but try taking something they've done and manipulating it, and they'll say you're defacing it. If after all, I took their urine jar and dumped it in a bucket of feces and called it 'sh*t art', I'd probably get sued.
No doubt. :lol: If you know the right people though you might get a government grant to explore further your artistic vision. :lol: