Sony at Focus 2013?

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
Minolta_Snapper
Acolyte

Sony at Focus 2013?

Unread post by Minolta_Snapper »

Does anyone know if Sony will be exhibiting at Focus on Imaging in the UK this March? Trying to decide whether it's worth the slog to Birmingham if they're not. Thanks.
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Re: Sony at Focus 2013?

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

Keep an eye on this page:
http://www.focus-on-imaging.co.uk/exhibitors.htm

They are not in the current list, and by this time, that almost certainly means they are not there at all. My clients the Master Photographers Association pulled out last year, like Sony, because the £30,000+ cost was simply not justified for the number of members signed in to the stand for a visit, and the number of new recruits. Sony I think prefer to support dealers in a big way. For this reason alone, it's worth being there. You will find new products and also existing products at very big discounts. They put the money into helping dealers knock the prices right down, at the show.

David
Minolta_Snapper
Acolyte

Unread post by Minolta_Snapper »

Thanks. Would those discounts include actual cameras and lenses, rather than just software or accessories? Never been to Focus, as it always clashed with a professional conference I have to go to, until this year. I'd like to get a look at the E mount lens range, such as it is, but if Sony per se are not there, who would be likely dealers to visit?
David Kilpatrick
Site Admin

Unread post by David Kilpatrick »

You never know what they will have.

If you want a guess - they will have the vertical control grip for the A99 and A77 respectively at maybe £99. There will be some rock bottom deals on HVL-F20AM/43AM/58AM flash units which only fit the older hot shoe. There will be some 70-400mm G and probably some 70-300mm G lenses at low prices.

I expect them to launch a new 70-400mm G and a new 70-300mm CZ or G (my information a year ago was that a CZ Alpha zoom going to 300mm was in planning). I would also expect to see the remaining stocks of the 11-18mm (if there are any) disposed of, and possibly also the CZ 16-80mm but that depends on whether the replacement is ready.

David