Is this forum dying?

Anything else you want to get off your chest or any public chat you want to continue away from a main topic
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Is this forum dying?

Unread post by bakubo »

For awhile now I have gotten the impression that this forum may be dying. What do you think? Many people who used to post here don't anymore or only do so very rarely. It seems even David has lost interest in it. Of course, people get busy or become interested in other things, but the posting has definitely dropped off a lot from a few years ago. It would be interesting to see the weekly or monthly posting statistics going back a few years to see how much it has dropped off. Have people mostly left for other forums? Although it is probably not related, it seems the heyday here was probably prior to the DSLT models and maybe even before NEX or, at least, when there were still DSLRs in the Sony line-up.

It is sort of sad to see the forum dry up... :(
mikeriach
Imperial Ambassador

Re: Is this forum dying?

Unread post by mikeriach »

It is generally quieter. In the UK the weather has been terrible so with work during the week and rain etc at the weekend I've hardly had the camera out. As the lighter nights approach I hope to get out and about a bit more.

David certainly quiet at the moment but then again he's got to earn money somewhere and for me that takes priority.
All my Sony SLT gear gone. Still got my RX100 though.
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

I guess it's the cold :wink:
As for me, I am a regular here, but since the weather is not permitting yet, am not posting much.
Also, from my side of our planet, two members here are quite "busy" lately: one is busy with rehab after breaking her leg, and the other getting everything prepared for a near future change of status (marital, you know...). :mrgreen:
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
mvanrheenen

Unread post by mvanrheenen »

Funny people forum visitors. I'm a regular on a Sony only topic on another forum and it was quiet there until NEX talk was allowed. Now, you almost never here from SLR/SLT owners anymore.

I think this forum will have a lot of lurkers still.

Mark
Dr. Harout
Subsuming Vortex of Brilliance

Unread post by Dr. Harout »

Here you go Henry, only a few minutes and already 3 replies. How about that?
A99 + a7rII + Sony, Zeiss, Minolta, Rokinon and M42 lenses

Flickr
Dusty
Emperor of a Minor Galaxy

Unread post by Dusty »

For me, there is little to talk about.

I don't have any desire to have a camera system dwarfed by the lenses I want (NEX), nor do I desire to look at a video of the picture scene I'm about to photograph (DSLT).

So, I'm still deciding on if I want to go Nikon and get a D600, or grab a great shape but used a900, and hope it lasts for a while.

Sony broke the system, so I have no need to continue with a broken system, one that cost me more to keep up with it's changes that if I changed systems, AND doesn't give me what I want.

I have no desire to have my flashes become obsolete on the whim of some corporate bean counter, not do I have a desire to try to source second hand Minolta lenses because Sony has nothing like them in their lineup. ( A an affordable F4 range of lenses).

I like this forum, the people on here, and DK's knowledge of photography and the Minolta/KM/Sony line in particular is fantastic. However, I feel like I'm the stuck in a support group for OS/2 after IBM dropped it. It did what I wanted, but it's gone and I have to find another home if I want to do anything more than I'd doing now. Windows? Linux? OSX?

The heyday of this forum was when Sony was releasing exciting new products on a regular basis that fit into and expanded the system that existed. Now they're trying to go for some "unified imaging" division that melds everything into a few versions of P&S or video with interchangeable accessories and lenses. That would be OK if that was the system design from the beginning, but it wasn't and Sony no longer makes products that interest me.

Dusty
An a700, an a550 and couple of a580s, plus even more lenses (Zeiss included!).
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

This place is strange, last night there were 30 people online (sorry visitors mainly) I noticed, where did they come from? or go back too? and what was the reason why there were suddenly that many? (not that any of em post messages though)
And why is the forum so slow to respond when you want to open a page or post a message? that has to be one of the main reasons responsible for dissuading people from bothering to post here.
I agree with Henry though there are a few missing in action that used to persevere, maybe it’s the economic conditions, maybe it’s the weather, maybe people have lost interest now that Sony is converting the A-mount into some kind of cybershot thingy, at least they haven’t made everything ‘shiny’ yet but give em time I’m sure there will be some models to compete with Pentax, why not? Sony probably sells less SLT’s than Pentax sell DSLR’s, have a look on Amazon, where are the SLT sales?
Why is Sony so stupid? Does the management in Japan take stupid pills?
Why would they make so many fundamental marketing mistakes and act as if they purposely want to get rid of all previous KM customers by catering to trendy cybershot upgraders only?
I haven’t bought any new Sony stuff, things that I can’t avoid buying that is, I got a couple of new Sony batteries lately and that has been my investment in the A-mount since I broke my self-imposed embargo and bought the A700 a few years ago. I have been making do with the KM lenses I have, not that I can afford to splurge anyway but if Sony made a camera that was tempting…who knows? But I think there is little danger of that happening.
And the reason why I try not to buy anything Sony makes is because of what they did to the Macro Flash system (only made half of the original Minolta system) and then wouldn’t explain why they didn’t make the full thing, and on top of that they replaced the missing Ring Flash with TWO stupid RING LIGHT models (now) that cannot make up for the missing RING FLASH.
….Like I say the Sony management must take stupid pills.
Greg
Last edited by Greg Beetham on Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

My impression is that the large drop-off in people posting is not just in the several months. Seems to me it has been dropping for a year or two. Maybe I am wrong, but it would be interesting to see weekly or monthly posting stats. Over the last few weeks I have gone back and looked at a some old threads from 2+ years ago and I am reminded how much more alive the forum was then and also I saw many people in those threads who have quietly disappeared. :(

Of course, posts spike when there is a new Sony release, but even between releases it seems to me there used to be more activity. I suppose some people have moved on to other brands, lost interest in cameras/photography, or at least lost interest in posting on the forum.

Anyway, I started this thread just to see if other people have noticed the same thing and also if some of those who seem to have become very scarce might reply to say why they have lost interest here.
bakubo
Tower of Babel

Unread post by bakubo »

Greg Beetham wrote:And why is the forum so slow to respond when you want to open a page or post a message? that has to be one of the main reasons responsible for dissuading people from bothering to post here.
Yes, the forum has been very slow for awhile now.
Mike-Photos
Oligarch

Unread post by Mike-Photos »

Hi Henry

I'm a lurker, I read the new posts every day and I hardly post.

However, it's not just on this forum that my activity level is low, I am like this on other forums as well. The forum bug just doesn't bite me anymore, and I wander if it's not a more general trend.

On DPReview, for example, the number of new posts per day on the forums I read used to be 2-3 screenfuls in the old days, now all new posts fit on one screen. This includes the Fuji forum for my X-E1, which is a very active and current forum.

I do agree with the comment that the forum is relatively slow to access, but it doesn't stop me reading. I'm sure faster access could be arranged, but the price would not be worth David's while.
Mike
mark111
Initiate

Unread post by mark111 »

Im back guys, its been a wee while since i last posted but looking forward to spring fast approaching and getting back out with the camera, looking forward to posting and looking at the excellent photos on here, oh and im still dreaming of buying a 400 mm lens.
Birma
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Birma »

I hope not!

May be there is an ever expanding number of places to 'hang-out' and so people end up spread more thinly?
Nex 5, Nex 6 (IR), A7M2, A99 and a bunch of lenses.
artington
Imperial Ambassador

Unread post by artington »

I think you are right, Henry - I have felt it too and also know I have been losing interest. For my part, this reflects a personal disdain for the rise in negativity here - not overwhelming but definitely noticeable. Now I expect that statement will garner some response and maybe it won't be that polite but that's how I feel. I believe we are at an early stage in a photographic revolution that has got a long way to go but one which has left many bewildered and despondent because the comfy certainties have gone with it. But isn't life like that anyway? I think we should rejoice that manufacturers such as Sony are pushing the boundaries and acclaim their guts and foresight. But that is not what I frequently see in these posts and it is the reason I return less and less to this forum and might be a reason why we are seeing so little new blood amongst its contributors.
Greg Beetham
Tower of Babel

Unread post by Greg Beetham »

Yep negativity has increased justifiably I think, Sony deserves some flak for dropping good OVF cameras entirely, drop the poor excuse for an OVF cameras yes, but they should have kept one very good OVF APS-C camera, something like an A700B for example.
In any case the traditional camera are in trouble now since the advent of the smartphone that can take good photos along with the connectivity that goes with them, something that traditional cameras can't do, and that might have something to do with camera forums being less popular now more than perceived negativity...possibly, with the economic situation worldwide people are going to go where it's convenient and at the least impact on their time for the most efficient and effective means of communication, and traditional camera forums and traditional cameras might just be on the wane in mainstream life, not that they ever were 'mainstream' in any case I guess.
Greg
Last edited by Greg Beetham on Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
johnstra
Heirophant

Unread post by johnstra »

There is an astonishing level of negativity in the forum and it is off putting. There are only three things that are certain in life: you will be taxed, you will die and you will experience change. Change can be good or bad but in my experience it is usually perceived as bad only because we are conditioned to dislike it. If you embrace it and work with it you will be happier. You can't stop it so think positively and look for the good in things. I was not at all sure of changing to EVF but now I am very happy with it. By the way, have you tried an Olympus OM_D? Micro 4/3rds, EVF, tiny, small light lenses and very nice. If I could afford a second system for days when I wanted to travel light I would have one and certainly not a NEX. They made the right decision. APSC is too big for this kind of camera.
Bob Johnston